+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: More HDMI schennanigans

I'm Gary.

No...
    In reality that’s not the case...sorry.
    Its a common belief I guess, it’s just digital, right?
    I’m saying this as I’ve compared many different cables personally.

Don’t believe everything you read online, (including me!) try a bunch for yourself if your curious.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 06-08-2019 at 16:14.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    No...
    In reality that’s not the case...sorry.
    Its a common belief I guess, it’s just digital, right?
    I’m saying this as I’ve compared many different cables personally.

Don’t believe everything you read online, (including me!) try a bunch for yourself if your curious.
    Oh I have and so have the worlds leading experts I know in the field of AV, it is just 0's and 1's, you can't have 0ish and 1ish.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    Oh I have and so have the worlds leading experts I know in the field of AV, it is just 0's and 1's, you can't have 0ish and 1ish.
    Actually - you can

Put very simply - the 0's and 1's are communicated by a system of difference, For the difference to register a threshold has to be met.
    If this threshold isn't met (an error) there is ambiguity and the processor will correct the error by deciding one way or another (either a 0 or a 1)
    The error events can be negligible (and therefore unnoticeable) or frequent and therefore significant ... and noticeable (e.g. artefacts and distortion)

Anything which can improve an error-free communication of the data stream will thus have a positive impact at the decoding end of the process.
    Last edited by mikmas; 07-08-2019 at 11:19.

I'm Gary.

Chill out man, I'm entitled to think what I think, as are you.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm barry.

Chill out man, I'm entitled to think what I think, as are you.
    I am chilled and if you want to think that that's OK but facts say otherwise.

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Actually - you can

Put very simply - the 0's and 1's are communicated by a system of difference, For the difference to register a threshold has to be met.
    If this threshold isn't met (an error) there is ambiguity and the processor will correct the error by deciding one way or another (either a 0 or a 1)
    The error events can be negligible (and therefore unnoticeable) or frequent and therefore significant ... and noticeable (e.g. artefacts and distortion)

Anything which can improve an error-free communication of the data stream will thus have a positive impact at the decoding end of the process.
    Actually with HDMI you can't. You either have a picture or you don't

I'm Gary.

I am chilled and if you want to think that that's OK but facts say otherwise.

Do you know how HDMI cables work Barry?

is...say...an HDMI 1.0 spec cable the same as a 2.1 cable?
    Whats the difference you think, and why the need for it?

Not being sarcastic Mate just wondering what your own level of knowledge is, not one of the world leading experts that you know.
    Maybe you can get one of them to join the discussion, share some technical knowledge?

You’ve said you thought the 4K Blu-ray of 2001 was stunning, what kit did you see it on?
    A Poundland HDMI cable or...?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-08-2019 at 17:18.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm barry.

Do you know how HDMI cables work Barry?

is...say...an HDMI 1.0 spec cable the same as a 2.1 cable?
    Whats the difference you think, and why the need for it?

Not being sarcastic Mate just wondering what your own level of knowledge is, not one of the world leading experts that you know.
    Maybe you can get one of them to join the discussion, share some technical knowledge?

You’ve said you thought the 4K Blu-ray of 2001 was stunning, what kit did you see it on?
    A Poundland HDMI cable or...?
    I watched 2001 on a calibrated (pro) LG OLED using Amazon Basics HDMI. The difference between cables will be their ability to pass the information for the standard required, not the ability to show better picture quality.

If you watch the shootouts in the US involving, David Mackenzie, Stacey Spears, Robert Zohn, Kevin Miller, Joel Silver, D Nice (myself to a lesser extent), Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and many others you will come to realise that what we say is true

I'm Martin.

Barry, if you want to discuss the topic of whether or not there is a difference between the same standard of HDMI cable start a separate thread for it.

This is a subjectivist forum so threads like this one are going to start with an assumption that there are differences, and this thread is about that, not whether there is any difference.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

I've done many shootouts of my own...thanks, with my own AV equipment in my own environment.
    Prefer to try things for myself in my own system and base my view on the evidence of my own eyes ‘n ears; whatever the results may be.

Hence the thread I started here.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-08-2019 at 21:46.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast