+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Toe Angle. Sound stage vs Frequency responce

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixc View Post
    "firstly why are you taking measurements, do they note sound good to you?"
    I first set the speakers by ear and then, run a setup using a mic for the processor, when i view the graph for the eq it tells me that my response is low at the top end.
    They sound lovely, I like experimenting and wondered if others had found the same as me.
    PS i turn the EQ off, for films and push the pure direct button for music. (Yamaha CX a5000)
    The speakers i have have a reputation for being bright ...
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Sounds like you pretty much have a 'house curve', a gentle fall in the response level from low bass down to the the top end. That's considered to be the ideal to get a balanced sound in room.

I'm going to post a graph so those of a nervous disposition please look away now:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    At least you're firing down the room and not across. Without info. about your speakers it's all guesswork, I'm afraid. 3' away from side walls and only 5' between does sound a bit excessive, although tends to suggest stand-mounts. 2' away from rear wall/bay rends to suggest (rear?) ported. Anyway, 2 x 3' + 5' + speaker width don't add up to 11' so not sure what's happening here. B.t.w., 20 x 11 ' is a lovely audio space for a lot of speakers. The lack of midrange ((1 khz up) might be because of the tweeter dispersion not being wide enough or aimed sufficiently for your 7' (which is a bit too close in that room)
    The speakers are Focal 1028 be, 3way with both front and rear ports/ the front is at the bottom of the cabinet.
    The distances are approx, I have my tv in the Bay with speakers either side around 2ft from the window, and 3 ft from the side walls.
    I do sit on the floor most of the time with my back against the settee, most of this is prob due to that.
    It funny how you realize things when you talk/ post about them.

I'm Mick.

I Haven't tried up/ down yet, always get the level out. Dosent this effect the phase?
    Maybe i will try, front down / back up, and see how it sounds.

I'm Grant.

A few mm either way can change things sometimes quite a lot. Usually up but if your sitting low then the other way
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

My current speakers are the most directional I have ever owned so if the toe in is not spot on then the imaging is just shite. Get it right though and it is as good as my old LS3/5a's. Bloody stunning, and, given the oncoming dark nights, set to get even better

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sounds like you pretty much have a 'house curve', a gentle fall in the response level from low bass down to the the top end. That's considered to be the ideal to get a balanced sound in room.

I'm going to post a graph so those of a nervous disposition please look away now:

Ive never heard of a house curve..the graph is not far from what i get, there is about 5db between 1 khz and 16 khz.
    There is also a dip in the lower mid so i might try moving the speaker into the bay a bit to give a bit of wall renforcment.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've always found that I have some degree of toe in just to make whatever speaker sound 'right' but that might be because my room is a lot smaller than yours Mick

When I had a room about 22 ft x about 14 ft I owned electrostatics which could be placed 4 foot from the rear wall but still toed in slightly to sound 'right'
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    My Royd RR3 standpoints are around 5M apart, firing lengthways. This is what the man Joe Akroyd recommended on setup ‘at least twice as wide as usual’. They are quite toed in and away from the wall, because having flat firing is always bad. Sorry to husbands and boyfriends that need their speakers flat either side of a rack or cabinet.
    I did try length-ways and the stage was huge but didnt last long as my settee was blocking the stairs, and there was nowhere for the rear speakers.

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    My current speakers are the most directional I have ever owned so if the toe in is not spot on then the imaging is just shite. Get it right though and it is as good as my old LS3/5a's. Bloody stunning, and, given the oncoming dark nights, set to get even better
    i found the with these speakers, extremely directional but when they are Just right ...

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    What speakers do you own Shaun ?

I had a pair of LS3/5a's and they seemed quite fussy about placement and toe in etc
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast