+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Toe Angle. Sound stage vs Frequency responce

I'm Paul.

Sounds like the off axis response of the higher frequencies drops quite a bit. Along with room resonances the lower frequencies seem more substantial. You could try gradually adding some wadding or foam to the bass ports which might help even things out a bit.

What amp do you use? if its a solid state amp probably no issue there but some valve amps can make the lower frequencies a little more full due to the higher output impedances.
    ~Paul~

I'm Mick.

Hi Paul, Ive tried the port bungs but it killed the bass too much (even with the front ports still open), I think you have a good point, maybe its not that the top end is reduced but the bottom is exaggerated,

Its a valve amp, ARC d115.
    The speakers sit on slabs of stone from Bnq possibly slate but not sure, then on carpet, there is also about 2ft below the suspended wooden floor. the floor does resonate at certain frequencies.

I'm Paul.

Sounds like you have a few things conspiring against you. Suspended floors are probably compounding things, Martin’s point about the house sound is well, sound. If you are able to use a computer as a source you could try using a bit of gentle EQ to roll off the bass a little to see if that helps.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Is the system too bassy? I must have missed that bit.

I'm using the much older version of Mick's speakers and I don't find them too bassy although they are sited well out from the back wall.

House curves work because hearing is less sensitive to very low frequencies. So what looks like 'too much bass' on the measurements will in practice sound like a balanced sound. If the system measured flat right across the frequency spectrum most listeners would perceive the system to be lacking bass, or to be too toppy or 'bright' sounding.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

B&Q slabs. Assuming they are the standard concrete-like ones for garden paving.

Try taking them away (I hate them as speaker supports - they seem to add a kind of hollow colouration) and put cones or something under instead to raise the speakers an inch or 2 off the floor.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    What speakers do you own Shaun ?

I had a pair of LS3/5a's and they seemed quite fussy about placement and toe in etc
    Nina, they are Spendor S3/5R2's. I changed to them from B&W CM8 S2's due to a move of house to a small cottage in a country village but as I use valve amplification the change of speakers was a seriously good one. I think personally that the Spendors are a seriously good match with the valves especially the midrange and of course the imaging. I now have the most incredible 3D imaging, imaging I lost decades ago when I sold my Rogers LS3/5a's.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixc View Post
    Hi Paul, Ive tried the port bungs but it killed the bass too much (even with the front ports still open), I think you have a good point, maybe its not that the top end is reduced but the bottom is exaggerated,

Its a valve amp, ARC d115.
    The speakers sit on slabs of stone from Bnq possibly slate but not sure, then on carpet, there is also about 2ft below the suspended wooden floor. the floor does resonate at certain frequencies.
    Port bungs don't usually improve things as they detract from the speaker design. Tried this on my enormous ProAcs once. I agree that suspended floor can be tricky (though I've not experienced problems when I had them) but you don't mention spikes, which to my mind are essential, whether into the carpet/floor or onto the concrete slab.

Being a speaker/room acoustic Luddite (well, more agnostic), I think you just have to try all permutations of speaker location, positioning and floor coupling until you get it right. I must admit, I've not heard of sound-staging which emphasises certain frequencies, but I tend to go for scale, incorporating good sound-staging.

Not at all sure why you sit on the floor, which surely impacts on the adequate height for upper frequencies. You should definitely have space behind your listening position, even if only 18 inches or so, and it seems that you're not getting that if you've got a sofa/chair bulk right behind you. Bring speakers forward and out a bit and your sitting position to 8 feet or more away. Think you might get a different, more ambient and larger sound-stage. Don't tip speakers just to suit where you sit. Sit to suit the speakers which will be designed to fire horizontally.
    Last edited by Mike Reed; 04-09-2018 at 14:08.

I'm Paul.

I must admit that I have had mixed results with port bunging. When it has worked well is when I have added small amounts gradually, listening for a while before each addition. Not really a magic bullet on it’s own.
    ~Paul~

I'm Mick.

My first images posted, will it work, I ask myself.

[IMG][/IMG]

The graphs show the graphic eq setting, if you invert you get the frequency response.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Mike.

Very nice, and they seem well placed (but could be wider) but that sofa must be upsetting things, esp. as you have sound absorbing shelves each side. If that's a sub-woofer, I'm surprised, as I'd think those speakers are more than adequate rather than trying to integrate another design (Sorry, don't do sub's).

Move the sofa; it's in the way, i.m.o.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast