+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Bass-Vinyl or Digital?

I'm Russell.

Getting good bass from vinyl takes a bit of doing. First you need a good ‘table that’s well placed. A decent cartridge that has the lower frequency response, and set up on a platform that is not sympathetic to the floor. A poorly setup table can be bad for bass, boominess, and feedback can be troublesome. But a well sorted ‘table can do the bass content some real justice! While it may not reach as low as some digital bass, some keyboard bass that will rattle the rafters.

On my system the bass from the turntable is very satisfying, not boomy, and tight. I can hear fingers on the strings of the bass guitar or upright, detail is abundant. But I’ve got some Uriah Heep that has some gut wrenching synth bass that is truly deep! And perfectly clean while having flat response. So, it’s different, two different animals. Both with their advantages and disadvantages. Neither is wrong, neither is bad. In fact there seems to be different albums that prefer one or the other. So I guess I agree with everyone else.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Digital - both technically and audibly.

Of course, in subjective terms, it all depends on the recording and to some extent on listening level. Low levels can suit LPs "warmth" and compression.

I'm Clive.

Digital has come a long way since the screechy noise we had back in the eighties. On a personal note I listen to digital 90% of the time but I still love the tactile sound vinyl brings out. Any conversation about one being better than the other is pure hyperbole as nobody listens with the same kit, surroundings or hearing abilities. The only common ground we all have is our absolute love of audio.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123