+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Bass-Vinyl or Digital?

I'm David.

Default Best Bass-Vinyl or Digital?

OK, a client if mine popped along for his new AD Audio Dac with valve output stage last week and he made the statement that he reckoned 'digital does bass better than vinyl'. Now, I build phono stages for folk and get to hear a lot of high end vinyl systems and that's not my experience. My own vinyl rig is very modest-a Rega Planar 3 with RB300-but it is definitely not bass shy and pumps out a very decent bass line and kick drums kick hard. OK, digital may do some of the 'trick' very low dub bass lines better but overall IMO vinyl wins.

What do others think?

I'm Steve.

I think it'll turn into another vinyl vs digital fisticuffs. I personally prefer the bass from my Monarch/X200/2M Black to what my Densen CD player does, but I could even be convincing myself of this to justify the outlay! And with so many variables in analogue and digital replay, surely determining the superiority of vinyl over digital or vice versa would be all but impossible?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Clive.

I find tight modern electronic bass is better with digital - Kraftwerk / The Man Machine (live) is one of my references. For truly deep bass, digital should win too as vinyl's at a technical disadvantage. For acoustic (eg double bass) I prefer vinyl as it has for greater texture and acoustic - however this is mostly with vintage recordings. At a cerebral level digital is better for bass but with passionate and atmospheric music I find vinyl bass more deeply pleasing.

Which is the winner depends on an individual's preferences I guess.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Steve.

Clive's reply is much better and I agree on all points - Stuff like Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Faithless etc I have CD's, where other types of music using 'real' instruments (jazz, female vocalists) I always choose vinyl versions.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

i'd agree with what has already been posted CD wins on the deepest bass but looses out with other aspects of the recording, physics also comes into play with vinyl with early recordings having the bass limited to avoid the needle literally loosing track of the music and jumping off the record, obviously it's much better nowadays but the physics are still there.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Gary.

Depends on the kit I s’pose, prefer my digital for bass, but mainly because it sounds like the turntable but maybe a little bit tighter in the low end.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I find tight modern electronic bass is better with digital - Kraftwerk / The Man Machine (live) is one of my references. For truly deep bass, digital should win too as vinyl's at a technical disadvantage. For acoustic (eg double bass) I prefer vinyl as it has for greater texture and acoustic - however this is mostly with vintage recordings. At a cerebral level digital is better for bass but with passionate and atmospheric music I find vinyl bass more deeply pleasing.

Which is the winner depends on an individual's preferences I guess.
    Bang on Clive, well reasoned. I have Kraftwerk live on vinyl and have compared it with a digital version and it was an interesting experience especially as I saw them live this year playing Man Machine. At the gig the bass was simply awesome and plumbed subterranean depths I had never heard before but with a precision and control that was shocking!

On vinyl the bass in this track is very good but is slightly rounded and fuller sounding than digital where I found it to be more controlled and tighter, maybe with better articulation. I like both and feel that the vinyl version is very satisfying to listen too especially as the depth and ambience in the recording feels more natural. The digital version although very good sounds less atmospheric.

Comparing vinyl vs digital vs live is a bit tricky but I would say live sounds like a cross between the two but on a massive scale.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

Technically, I'm told, digital has much more potential than vinyl. How it appears to the ears is much dependant upon a lot of other factors; room acoustics, speakers, ancillary kit etc.

B.t.w., Vb to lose (loses, has lost)) and adj. loose (= not tight) or vb. to loosen.

I'm Adam.

‘Better’... dodgy word.
    I think I can get more timbre in a bass from vinyl, earth shaking clean chesty bass.. digital.
    What’s a bass supposed to sound like ? Like Paco, Charlie Haden, Dave Holland or Ron Carter, imho...but Victor Wotton, sly and Robbie or Richard Bona ..on digital...Yes please.
    Horses for coarses.
    But ultimately vinyl is king I think
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 04-09-2018 at 00:40.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Grant.

Usually find both similar unless we go to digital film scores etc then digital bass takes the trophy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast