+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For September!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes I used to do all that sort of crap and work a high pressure job as well and the vet told me if I wanted to get well I had to knock it off. So I did. Now I don't stress about not doing stuff. Stuff sucks in any case.
    The vet, lol? Did you need putting down?

Seriously, sorry to hear you were ill back then - what was wrong?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Tired all the time, angry all the time, couldn't eat, would sleep for 8 hours and wake up just as knackered as when I went to bed. I thought it was alien abduction but according to the MO it was stress. So I quit the well paid but nightmare job and got one doing filing and switchboard and stopped doing everything else. It was bliss. I met a mate's wife in the street about two weeks into it and she says to me 'What happened to you? You look ten years younger!'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

This fire talk is all very well when you've got nothing better to do than doss about all day but I'm out at work 10/11 hours a day; like I could be bothered to spend 20m minutes cleaning the grate and lighting a fire every evening.

My mother's the same, retired 10 years ago and has completely forgotten that most people have a job and don't have all the time in the world to chat away in the middle of the day. Or cock about lighting fires.
    Thanks Macca, I was starting to think it was just me!

Marco, think about all the stuff you do that fills your day (you seem to be constantly doing stuff with barely an idle moment).

Now imagine doing all that AND holding down a full-time job. Something has to give. What do you sacrifice? The lengthy preparation with carefully shopped for (by you) ingredients for a proper sit-down (at a table!) meal, keeping the kitchen and bathroom spotless with daily cleaning, keeping the rather large garden in good order, going out for nice meals, going to concerts, listening to your hi fi, ragging the Brabster round North Wales, and reading the pish we (me) post on here? Which of these would become no longer important?

In the face of that lot, anyone with full time employment may be considered 'time poor'. Oh I almost forgot, the stove needs doing as well.

If it helps I have a spare broom with a self-lubricating handle I could loan you. Just remember to wash the handle before returning it.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Call me old fashioned but it's a man's job to keep a roof overhead and put food on the table. Once he's done that he's finished for the day. None of this getting the hoover out or cooking or any of that stuff. Unless he wants to, I appreciate some people have cooking as a hobby, hoovering I doubt. Obviously I live alone so have to do that once in a while but it gets done when it gets done. The world isn't going to end if I don't wash the dishes for a week.

Like the bloke says in Fight Club, freedom is being able to let the stuff that doesn't matter really slide.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

It's s mans duty to share the workload with his partner tho too. Otherwise he is just selfish
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dan.

Call me old fashioned but it's a man's job to keep a roof overhead and put food on the table. Once he's done that he's finished for the day. None of this getting the hoover out or cooking or any of that stuff. Unless he wants to, I appreciate some people have cooking as a hobby, hoovering I doubt. Obviously I live alone so have to do that once in a while but it gets done when it gets done. The world isn't going to end if I don't wash the dishes for a week.

Like the bloke says in Fight Club, freedom is being able to let the stuff that doesn't matter really slide.
    To be fair I do 9.9/10'ths of all the housework; that's because I run my business from home and the wife heads out to her job at the uni daily

The agreement is that she sorts all the clothes once washed/dried

I've terrible OCD when it comes to dusting and th'ooverin' so I gets it done as best as I can; but I do things here & there, when I've got a spare 5/10mins etc

Like today; I've cleaned the fire out and started to re blacken the ironmongery as well as starting to refurb my 18" alloys I bought from EvilBay so I can run winters on my daily 7 series etc...

Our broadband has been on/off all bloody day; so done other things that had been put on a back burner

But I'll be sat at the Mac all night now working, catching up etc

Anyways; this is off thread!

It's been lovely and sunny all day but with some huge black clouds looming; no rain though! Reached the highs of 11ºC too!
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It's s mans duty to share the workload with his partner tho too. Otherwise he is just selfish
    If the mrs is out at work all day as well, of course. If she doesn't work or only works part time then seems fair enough that she takes up the slack. And yes I do know from experience that this is by and large complete fantasy. But it's how things should be in principle.

Not being sexist either - if the woman works part time and the bloke doesn't then the roles reverse. But you donl't really want that set up if you can help it. Plus if you both work full time should be earning enough to get a cleaner and a gardner/handyman anyway so problem solved.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Marco, think about all the stuff you do that fills your day (you seem to be constantly doing stuff with barely an idle moment).

Now imagine doing all that AND holding down a full-time job. Something has to give. What do you sacrifice? The lengthy preparation with carefully shopped for (by you) ingredients for a proper sit-down (at a table!) meal, keeping the kitchen and bathroom spotless with daily cleaning, keeping the rather large garden in good order, going out for nice meals, going to concerts, listening to your hi fi, ragging the Brabster round North Wales, and reading the pish we (me) post on here? Which of these would become no longer important?

In the face of that lot, anyone with full time employment may be considered 'time poor'.
    Absolutely, but that's not my point! You're misunderstanding what I consider that term (and its opposite) to mean. Therefore, allow me to explain... Let's say that, for argument's sake, you have a wife and two kids. Therefore, in that scenario, if offered the option of the following lifestyle/employment choices:

1) Living in a 4-bedroom detached house, and having a job with an annual salary of £150k, but which requires working inordinately long hours, consequently leaving you with little time to spend with your family, but a healthy bank balance at the end of each month.

Therefore, in essence, you're cash-rich, but time-poor.

2) Living in a 2-bedroom semi-detached house [kids would have to share a room], and having a job with an annual salary of £75k, but which comfortably pays the bills, provides a decent standard of living, and no more, but involves working less hours, in turn giving you much more time to spend with your family.

Therefore, in essence, you're cash-poor in comparison, but time-rich (or 'richer' in that respect than you'd have been with option 1).

Which would you choose? I'd choose option 2, no question, as the extra cash is worthless if you have no time to enjoy it!

I could cite other similar examples, with different salaries, etc, but my point still remains: ultimately, I'd always choose to be TIME-rich, as long as my family and I were comfortable, as spending TIME together, and being happy, is far more important than anything else.

However, just to make a further point, let's take things a step further..... Say you chose option 1, but 3 years later, interest rates have rocketed, consequently nearly doubling your mortgage repayments. Now you're struggling financially - and still have little free time to spend with your family.

What do you do to resolve the situation:

A) Work even longer hours, to cover the payments, meaning you'll now virtually be a stranger to your wife and kids, and subsequently be continually stressed to buggery, but keep your posh house, and ability to maintain the image you're portraying to the outside world of being 'wealthy and successful'.

B) Sell the house and move to a smaller property nearby, in turn drastically reducing your outgoings, thus removing the need to work longer hours, and giving you more time to spend with your family - *but* subsequently destroying your 'wealthy and successful' image. Your 'friends', whom you previously impressed, now think you you're a loser.

What's more important, keeping up appearances, or your health and happiness...?

I'd chose B), hand on heart, without the slightest hesitation!!! But I suspect many wouldn't, especially snobs and social climbers, and those for whom 'success' is defined by money, material possessions, and crucially, how they are perceived by others. Indeed, I know plenty in real life who are just like that.

Folks today often overcomplicate their lives, and put unnecessary pressure on themselves, paying for things that they've been told they (or their kids) 'must' have, when in reality they'd benefit greatly from a much simpler existence. Therefore, it's so easy these days to take your eye of the ball and lose sight of what *really* matters...

Anyway, hopefully now you understand better where I'm coming from

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Call me old fashioned but it's a man's job to keep a roof overhead and put food on the table.
    That's not old fashioned, but instead outdated and rather sexist... Honestly, you can be such a dinosaur sometimes!

It depends on the circumstances of the couple concerned, plus their respective skillsets, and therefore who's better looking after the house, and who's better out working. Essentially, you operate as a team, and do what best facilitates a comfortable existence for both of you, and most importantly, a happy relationship.

It doesn't matter a damn who holds the Hoover! That's the system Del and I operate - and it works

Also, let's not forget I'm occupying the fortunate position I'm in now because I've worked damned hard to get there, after years of seriously long hours (I'm talking often all-nighters), in order to make the business I ran (still run on a reduced level) the success that it's been.

It didn't just fall into my lap, or because I've decided to become a 'kept man'

The reality is, the reason why we're financially secure now, is largely because of my achievements (plus, between us, some clever/lucky property investments).

Marco.
    Main System

Yo, Piggurs, any thoughts on post 168?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast