+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather For September!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Ted Carters eh? That would be a quality item then. too good for gardening. Matalan's the handiest place for you for gardening-grade pullies.
    Yup; it was a proper Barbor jumper with the all essential elbow sleeves. Alas; it's too small for me now (I've grown a fair chunk since my 20s); hence why the wifes wears it as an all in one wooly duvet

Alas; Ted's is no more; got sold as it was going down the drain. Couldn't compete with the WWW world for fishing tackle

End of an era; we've been family friends with the Carters since my Granddads and Ted Carters time!
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm Steve.

It's a shame when proper shops go to the wall, and Ted Carter's was a proper shop. I must take some of the blame though, not been in since the 80's. I'm sure I drove past quite recently and noted it was still there. But then it may have been longer ago than my memory says. It's an age thing!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dan.

It's a shame when proper shops go to the wall, and Ted Carter's was a proper shop. I must take some of the blame though, not been in since the 80's. I'm sure I drove past quite recently and noted it was still there. But then it may have been longer ago than my memory says. It's an age thing!
    The shops still there; but it is no more unfortunately

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/about-ted-carter/
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

You can't beat a proper fire! Wish we had one. My mate has the mother of all woodburners, cost him a couple of grand. Different kind of heat somehow. And it's something to look at when there's nothing on telly.
    Precisely!

But it's all our faults for being brainwashed into modernising and, erm, supposedly 'improving' our homes, ripping out/blocking off our old coal fires in the process, and replacing them with vastly inferior gas and electric ones (central heating is a good thing, though), simply to keep up with trends!!

Remember what I said about being a free-thinker, versus a sheep?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Precisely!

But it's all our faults for being brainwashed into modernising and, erm, supposedly 'improving' our homes, ripping out/blocking off our old coal fires in the process, and replacing them with vastly inferior gas and electric ones (central heating is a good thing, though), simply to keep up with trends!!

Marco.
    I wouldn't call myself a sheep, I follow all your advice to the letter!

It's not so much a case of following trends, it's more to do with finding the time to light a fire, or even be arsed with it. Everyone is so busy these days with other stuff. And open fires/stoves are just less convenient. I know you can 'bank' your fire, but there are still things to do in order to keep it running right.

And if you're in rented accommodation, as people increasingly are, you are pretty much stuck with what you have. No one would want to spend big money making such changes to someone else's house.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Precisely!

Marco.
    The missus wasn't keen on an open fire when we moved in. Wanted an all singing/all dancing and about 50% efficient, if you're lucky, gas fire. She'd been brought up with open fires (lucky sod) and said they were too much faff!

I love it (typical bloke and pyromaniac in my spare time ); I do all the setting up and cleaning. It's easy as it's not huge, but I bought a cheap bagless Draper vacuum off Amazon for clearing out the residual ash once I've emptied the pan etc

When the house is cold and she's gone to work; I'll get the fire going and heat up the downstairs. Sod the heating for that!

My office is at the back of the house; no direct sunlight and can get bloody cold quickly; so it's nice to have the double doors open and the heat come through from the living room via the dining room

This was it yesterday:

With the rug the right way

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XgitSgkGzRN1vS279
    Bigger than you...

It's not so much a case of following trends, it's more to do with finding the time to light a fire, or even be arsed with it. Everyone is so busy these days with other stuff.
    Yes, like being moronically glued to their mobile phones and 'social media' networks? Maybe if they spent less time on that pish, they'd have time to maintain and enjoy a real fire?

Even I was working full time, I'd still *make* time for one, as for me it'd be more than worth it. However, each to his or her own.

There are still plenty of easily-led (brainless) sheep out there, who are slaves to fashion trends, and so no matter how 'busy' they were, would likely move heaven and earth to get a real fire installed, if some vacuous celebrity endorsed it!

That's how sad today's world has become....

And if you're in rented accommodation, as people increasingly are, you are pretty much stuck with what you have. No one would want to spend big money making such changes to someone else's house.
    Sure, but my views or criticism is not aimed at them.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hifilover View Post
    The missus wasn't keen on an open fire when we moved in. Wanted an all singing/all dancing and about 50% efficient, if you're lucky, gas fire. She'd been brought up with open fires (lucky sod) and said they were too much faff!

I love it (typical bloke and pyromaniac in my spare time... I do all the setting up and cleaning. It's easy as it's not huge, but I bought a cheap bagless Draper vacuum off Amazon for clearing out the residual ash once I've emptied the pan etc
    Nice one, Dan. So do I with ours, and enjoy it, too. There's something rather satisfying about going 'back to basics' like that, doing things such as chopping wood for a fire, which makes you 'feel alive' and actually like you're living, not merely existing, if you get what I mean?

In some ways, it was nicer when life was simpler

Going out for a nice walk somewhere, simply because you WANT to, and have the TIME to do so and enjoy the fresh air, and nature, also comes into the same category. For me, one of the most important things in life is having TIME to do the things you want, as it gives one immense satisfaction and sense of well-being. It's also a veritable stress-buster!

That's why, for me, if I had to choose, I'd rather be time-rich and cash-poor (as long as I had enough to live reasonably comfortably), than cash-rich and time-poor...... Now there's one for folks to think about!

What's the point in having money, or loads of material possessions, if you've no time to enjoy it...? Too many folks these days are running around like headless chickens, driving themselves into an early grave - and ultimately for *WHAT*??

When the house is cold and she's gone to work; I'll get the fire going and heat up the downstairs. Sod the heating for that!

My office is at the back of the house; no direct sunlight and can get bloody cold quickly; so it's nice to have the double doors open and the heat come through from the living room via the dining room...
    Fire looks great, mate. And with also working from home, I *totally* get where you're coming from. I bet your good lady also appreciates and enjoys coming home from work to a nice roaring real fire (and lovely warm house), and is now glad she's got one!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

This fire talk is all very well when you've got nothing better to do than doss about all day but I'm out at work 10/11 hours a day; like I could be bothered to spend 20m minutes cleaning the grate and lighting a fire every evening.

My mother's the same, retired 10 years ago and has completely forgotten that most people have a job and don't have all the time in the world to chat away in the middle of the day. Or cock about lighting fires.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This fire talk is all very well when you've got nothing better to do than doss about all day but I'm out at work 10/11 hours a day; like I could be bothered to spend 20m minutes cleaning the grate and lighting a fire every evening.
    Well daftee, I did it when I was working full time! I'd prepare and set the fire in the morning, before I started work, and then light it when I got back. You just get up a bit earlier, simples!

So working isn't necessarily an excuse, and neither do I "doss about" all day either. I'd only do that, if I was happy living in a pig sty. There are plenty of jobs to do around the house, and keeping it clean, shopping to get in an all sorts, and also when you have a garden and outside area to maintain, all of which keeps you plenty busy!

The fact is, if you WANT something badly enough, you'll MAKE time for it - and that includes maintaining a real fire!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast