+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: interconnects

I'm Mike.

Don't know if this is of any interest but since buying a silver (Grant?) digital I/C a couple of years ago for my transport to DAC, I've wondered what, if any differences exist between all silver analogue I/Cs and my Chord copper ones.

Recently bought Artisan Ult. Silver Dream I/Cs with WBT Ag RCAs all round. Tried them instead of my Chord Sig's between DAC and pre, but (unfortunately for comparative purposes) with a Goldenjacks -6 dB in-line attenuator for the first time. Didn't experience any Earth-shattering differences, which I actually took as a good sign (for both). However, listening was on HD 650s over hours of many CDs.

Sat. evening, I fired up the amplification and speakers,put the silver between pre. and power (E.A.R. 912 + 509s) instead of my Chord Indigo and first, had 2 hours of Jazz on R3 (on an old borrowed Trough Line with hum !), then a couple of hours with vinyl. SUCH a difference in presentation, esp. on radio but also with vinyl.

Maybe there was a lighter side to the presentation, but all the detail, holography and involvement were there (on ESL 2905s), but the immediately noticeable change was in the depth of bass (on ESLs, remember !). Early days, but I think that configuration is where the silver I/Cs are going to stay, not least that it affects 4 sources (TV,vinyl, CD and tuner). I was told by the seller that he found it slightly 'dark'. I found it quite the opposite; very open and explicit without being annoying with it.

In conclusion, then; silver versus copper ? I think most prefer the copper approach, but I had to find out, and I'm glad I did. I shall be swapping around a bit in the next few weeks, but at the mo', my money's on silver for my particular collection of kit.

I'm John.

I've shared a similar experience with my recent exploits into cable investigations.
    It is very rewarding when the time is taken to trial different cables and arrange them in varying interfaces to the systems devices.
    The outcome can be a surprise in relation to the perceived improvement in SQ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234