+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It all depends on the system and the users “taste”.
    There is no one interconnect that will suit an individual with a particular system in a specific room with a different taste to you.

The Carbokab 225 is not bad. The Klotz MC5000 is pretty good, and then we have the Mogami, Van Damme, Gotham etc. The interconnect cables make a small small difference in the grand scheme of things, so try and borrow a few and select one that you like.
    Everything matters. A cable can have as big an influence as changing a component. When you are looking for a budget cable, it's hard to go wrong with the Sommer. Yes personal tastes will differ but generally, it's a good cable for peanuts, if you can make them yourself.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Default interconects

Apart from capacitance mismatches from long runs, and faulty cables it won't be a night and day change for the most part. No doubt some are better than others, and many are system dependent but if you expect a big change it's unlikely. Again imo.
    Ive a mix of cables mostly either home made or by Brian. Personally think the speaker cables have a bigger effect than interconnects
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Everything matters. A cable can have as big an influence as changing a component. When you are looking for a budget cable, it's hard to go wrong with the Sommer. Yes personal tastes will differ but generally, it's a good cable for peanuts, if you can make them yourself.

I don’t agree that a cable can have as big an influence as a component.
    I, like a few others preferred the MC5000 to the Carbokab. The Klotz is also pretty good for a budget cable.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

That's cool. We don't need to agree! Just different experiences which is what makes the hobby so interesting.

Either cable will be a step forward from any basic cable so it's sound advice either way.
    I, like a few others preferred the MC5000 to the Carbokab. The Klotz is also pretty good for a budget cable.

I'm John.

I have had a few experiences recently, that has altered my long term skepticism about cables. As well as my being very guilty of contempt before investigation, relating to a cables influence on a system.
    I have recently posted on other threads, in a rather long winded explanation, of how I perceived the influence of certain cables effect on a replay in my system.
    In a nut shell there is clear differences to be heard, if the system has the ability to allow them to be heard.
    One type of interconnect made me abandon a Speaker Cable, I was using, as it revealed just how much noise and illegible words were in the replay. When another Speaker Cable was used the qualities of the replacement speaker cable were immediately heard.
    This new speaker cable then allowed for a few further assessments of different IC's influences on the system, and as a result a few cables were deselected from certain connections in the set up.
    I am very thankful to those on the AoS forum who are open minded with their approach, and encouraging in their proposals, to assist another to help realise the full potential of their systems.
    I am much changed in my cable thoughts as to what I promoted a short time ago.
    This has now put me closer to a place where I can enjoy the investigation of a Free Trial on a cable like the Spotfire, and offer in return a fairer assessment than I could have offered prior to some of these new experiences.
    When I have a firm knowledge of how my cable arrangements are influencing my system, I can get on with entering another cable to assess its influence.
    As a offered assessment is the only thing being requested by the owner, for the loan of the Spotfire cables,
    it would be for me unwise to decline, if cable requirements are part of a system building experience.

Bigman80 Guest

"In a nut shell there is clear differences to be heard, if the system has the ability to allow them to be heard"

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. < So true John. Well done for approaching the subject with a willingness to at least try and find the effects of cables.

I remember a while back when the FB-OTP phonostage was in the R&D stage. I wrote of my findings of how capacitors influenced the sound. There are still people out there that just don't believe how a certain component or material can influence sound. Strangely, the MK2 OTP trounced the MK1 largely due to the fact that it had NO capacitors in the signal path. Strange ay!!

I made a comment that a cable can have as much influence as changing a component. I stand by that and am able to demonstrate it here, in my system, that is certainly capable of revealing what's going on.

The SPOTFIRE are available to you whenever you wish mate. Just drop a line on the loan thread and I'll put you on the list.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There is nothing wrong with Klotz cables: either 104, 106 or 110 for unbalanced connects, or 5000 for balanced interconnects. Sommer Carbokable 225 is difficult to work with - the carbon layer has to be removed carefully and thoroughly from the copper conductors in order to solder to the connectors. They are also thick and stiff, which I don't like in a cable.

I make up all my own interconnects (mostly balanced), and use a whole range of cables from a variety of manufacturers: Amphenol; Belden; BICC; Chord; Gotham; Huber & Suhner; Klotz; Mogami; Neumann; Proel; Times Wire, and Van Damme .
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by fazerman45 View Post
    i have a marantz pm14 s1 se and a marantz sa14s1 se sac player,just wondered what people recomend for a decent interconnect,ican get QED referance audio 40cheap,or a secound hand pair of van den hul the wave,but not sure
    Neither, I'd get some Van Damme 'HiFi' UP-LCOFC instead. My favourite reasonably priced interconnects, will be well under £40.

Here's some 1m ones for £20 from Compass Audio: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DAMME...e/292287904354

...or 60cm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DAMME...e/302480840880

PS I can vouch for the seller (Compass Audio), great prices & proper termination of the plugs. I recently moved my turntable out of the living room area (open plan) into my dining area alcove, so needed some 2.5M interconnects to achieve this.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 04-09-2018 at 16:21.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Neither, I'd get some Van Damme 'HiFi' UP-LCOFC instead. My favourite reasonably priced interconnects, will be well under £40.

Here's some 1m ones for £20 from Compass Audio: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DAMME...e/292287904354

...or 60cm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DAMME...e/302480840880
    +1 on this ....
    I have a bunch of 1m and 60cm pairs in use and in the drawer along with a few Klotz MC5000/Neutrik combos and can't fault them.

No need to pay a penny more IMV ... even better if you can make up your own and save some £££

Bigman80 Guest

Seriously?

Klotz and the like are certainly good value for money and improve on factory provided stuff but they are definitely not the last word in cabling.

Neutrik plugs??!!!

My word, there is no way they compete with MSAudio, AECO or KLE plugs.

I've done these comparisons over and over too. I've made tons of cables and tried them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast