+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: New car hi-fi build!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, and conversely why it's hard to get accurate low-bass with car audio.

That's why you need to implement the use of a well-designed porting system, which works in tandem with the speakers, utilising the car's internal cabin volume, to maximise low-bass frequencies. But even then, genuine low-bass will still be compromised, compared with what's possible from a good hi-fi system, using big speakers in a large room.

It's not really an issue though with most music, and the grin-inducing, sledgehammer mid-bass punch and dynamics that's possible with the best car audio systems, which few home hi-fi systems can match, more than makes up for it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

So are you using Bluetooth from your phone as your main source? Memory stick? How do things work these days? Do they still stick CD’s in slots?

Russell

Hi Russell,

All of that is possible with my Kenwood head unit. For me, mostly CDs, as I currently don't own a smartphone. I'm resisting the temptation so far (as I hate the bloody things), but no doubt will succumb at some point!

What I can do, however, when the car's parked outside the house, is access our wi-fi and use the Internet, as the head unit has that facility, and so in that respect simply acts as a computer, and therefore once online, I can log onto my Tidal account and access my playlist (or play any other music), or go onto YouTube - same applies with movies!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Was thinking about upgrading my door speaker already (cars not even fixed yet!) but was worried about the lack of power from the head unit, so i'm thinking of buying a Sony MEX-GS820BT. It's got a powerful, built-in Class D amp that's got a lot more poke than the usual built in amps.

Marco, If you're thinking of upgrading your components, i'm happy to take your old ones off you (assuming they'll fit a Toyota Auris). They do seem to get very good reviews.

You mean the JBL stuff, Matt?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You mean the JBL stuff, Matt?

Marco.
    Yes. Am I right in thinking you've got JBL GTO 609C?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Russell,

All of that is possible with my Kenwood head unit. For me, mostly CDs, as I currently don't own a smartphone. I'm resisting the temptation so far (as I hate the bloody things), but no doubt will succumb at some point!

What I can do, however, when the car's parked outside the house, is access our wi-fi and use the Internet, as the head unit has that facility, and so in that respect simply acts as a computer, and therefore once online, I can log onto my Tidal account and access my playlist (or play any other music), or go onto YouTube - same applies with movies!

Marco.
    That is amazing! It truly is a computerized head unit. I always loved my Minidisc Sony. While it may seem primitive by comparison, I could make compilations at home, and keep Mini’s in my car, as they are tough as nails. I found one under the seat that had been lost for a year! And it played like new.

But no need for all that hassle! With the WiFi streaming data straight to the dash. So? If you were to get a smart phone that has Hot Spot capability, then you can WiFi the head unit and do all the things you do in the driveway, anywhere? That certainly sounds attractive. To access your Tidal account anywhere on Earth your car may be? That’s certainly an incentive to hate smart phones just a little bit less?

Russell

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Yes. Am I right in thinking you've got JBL GTO 609C?
    Yup, dat's right

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    That is amazing! It truly is a computerized head unit. I always loved my Minidisc Sony. While it may seem primitive by comparison, I could make compilations at home, and keep Mini’s in my car, as they are tough as nails. I found one under the seat that had been lost for a year! And it played like new.

But no need for all that hassle! With the WiFi streaming data straight to the dash. So? If you were to get a smart phone that has Hot Spot capability, then you can WiFi the head unit and do all the things you do in the driveway, anywhere? That certainly sounds attractive. To access your Tidal account anywhere on Earth your car may be? That’s certainly an incentive to hate smart phones just a little bit less?
    Yeah, Russell, when/if I get a smartphone, any music that's on it can be paired to the head unit, and basically anywhere in the world where there's Wi-Fi, which I can access, will simultaneously allow the head unit to access my Tidal account, and probably also, via the smartphone, the 6TB music I have at home on hard-drives, stored on my personal clouds.

The wonders of technology, eh?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm matt.

Finally made a bit of progress. Front doors now have butly rubber damping sheets on both the inside and outside skin of each door and closed cell foam on the inside of the door panel. Sub box is built and sub fitted. New door speakers should arrive next week...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast