+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: New car hi-fi build!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Russell,

Nice hearing from you!

In terms of the bit in bold, no not at all. We went to IKEA, the other day, and the boot was filled with all sorts of stuff! It's not an issue, but as you say, eggs might not be a good idea

It's not just loud [painfully so, if you don't watch], but it delivers the sonic finesse of a quality hi-fi system, otherwise there'd be no point, as I'm after rather more than just some bass BOOM

Puts a smile on my chops, anyway, dude

Marco.
    It’s been a few since I’ve been able to read up on you guys.

That’s great! Car audio depends on having plenty of overhead. Even with all the sound proofing the noise floor while driving is much higher than setting at home. It’s nice to have the power and headroom to compensate. Having good tunes in the car makes any road trip less of a chore! I used to drive 45 minutes each way to work, and having a nice stereo in the car made all the difference. It was my personal time, the time I could crank up any music I choose and sing along if I want. Back then I had a rare Minidisc indash, which was pretty hot at the time.

Russell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Next stage is to replace the car radiator It's got a nasty leak and even the Radweld isn't working anymore It's not easy having a midlife crisis on a budget

I've been modelling lots of subs in my price range and the Eminence still comes out on top. Apparently it was designed to have a high QMS and low QES, which are desirable things to have in a subwoofer. The only thing that worries me is the foam surround. My old JL 10W6 surround disintegrated in the end. I didn't know there was such a thing as refoaming in those days, so I just threw it away

I'll have to give mine the "ice Cube" test when it's done I bet yours will be even better when you replace those door speakers for 8"ers. Lower mids and midbass should improve, i'd have thought...
    Yeah dude, get that rad sorted. Not much fun, but first things first!

Seems like the Eminence is the one for you. The foam surround might become an issue in future, but that could be years away... In the meantime you'll have had tons of fun out of it, and could probably either get it re-foamed or just buy a new sub. The good thing is, unlike with hi-end hi-fi, car audio parts aren't super expensive

Btw, if you like a bit of Ice Cube, check out this track [turn it right up, so it's loud and proud]:

I was playing that earlier, at silly levels, and the bass was laugh-out-loud INSANE!!!

Just NUTS, lol....Nearly took out the rear window!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    It’s been a few since I’ve been able to read up on you guys.

That’s great! Car audio depends on having plenty of overhead. Even with all the sound proofing the noise floor while driving is much higher than setting at home. It’s nice to have the power and headroom to compensate. Having good tunes in the car makes any road trip less of a chore! I used to drive 45 minutes each way to work, and having a nice stereo in the car made all the difference. It was my personal time, the time I could crank up any music I choose and sing along if I want. Back then I had a rare Minidisc indash, which was pretty hot at the time.

Russell
    Damn straight... That's why (as you seen earlier in the thread), amongst other things, the wiring loom installed is top-notch, both signal and power, but especially with power cables:

DON'T SKIMP ON THE COPPER! You need dem heavy duty, fat-assed homies to maximise current delivery and provide the (all-important) HEADROOM you mention! It's also why I uprated the car battery to one of these babies: https://www.bladeice.com/product/xs-power-xe12-80/

Made a massive difference, compared with what was possible (and how the amps behaved) with a standard car battery.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Are there any super caps fitted near the amps ? When charged, They provide instant localised current capabilty.
    Damn straight... That's why (as you seen earlier in the thread), amongst other things, the wiring loom installed is top-notch, both signal and power, but especially with power cables:

DON'T SKIMP ON THE COPPER! You need dem heavy-duty, fat-assed homies to maximise current delivery and provide the (all-important) HEADROOM you mention! It's also why I uprated the car battery to one of these babies: https://www.bladeice.com/product/xs-power-xe12-80/

Made a massive difference, compared with what was possible (and how the amps behaved) with a standard car battery.

Marco.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Are there any super caps fitted near the amps ? When charged, They provide instant localised current capabilty.
    Good question, mate. Not sure. I'll ask Sean that one!

What do you think of it? You'll giggle out loud when you hear it, trust me, lolz...

Marco.
    Main System

The benefits the caps bring will depend on where the battery is fitted, usualy you would use them if the battery is in the front of the car, and all the sound system components are in the rear etc, having a thick cable from front to back is esential, but it will still have resistance, and thus will restrict [to a degree] the amount of instant current the amps can deliver, of course it will also depend greatly on the size of amplification, and how deaf you want to be!
    Good question, mate. Not sure. I'll ask Sean that one!

What do you think of it? You'll giggle out loud when you hear it, trust me, lolz...

Marco.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

Yeah, I get that. Fortunately, the battery in my car is situated in the rear, right next to the amps and sub! Therefore, power-cable length is minimal (only inches long), and so using 1/0 gauge cable minimises resistance to pretty negligible levels

In that respect, I think that current delivery is pretty instantaneous... THE whip-crack dynamics that the system delivers certainly makes your eyes blink!

Marco.
    Main System

Yeah, I get that. Fortunately, the battery in my car is situated in the rear, right next to the amps and sub! Therefore, power-cable length is minimal (only inches long), and so using 1/0 gauge cable minimises resistance to pretty negligible levels

In that respect, I think that current delivery is pretty instantaneous... THE whip-crack dynamics that the system delivers certainly makes your eyes blink!

Marco.
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Justin.

Yo bro' now u is bad boy bass an pussy no longer I is coming to bomb da bass wid tu wid some of de good collie weed for smiles and chicks and laughs init.

Try typing that in with spiel check on. Not easy

I'm matt.

Seems like the Eminence is the one for you. The foam surround might become an issue in future, but that could be years away... In the meantime you'll have had tons of fun out of it, and could probably either get it re-foamed or just buy a new sub. The good thing is, unlike with hi-end hi-fi, car audio parts aren't super expensive

Btw, if you like a bit of Ice Cube, check out this track [turn it right up, so it's loud and proud]:

I was playing that earlier, at silly levels, and the bass was laugh-out-loud INSANE!!!

Just NUTS, lol....Nearly took out the rear window!

Marco.
    Yea, I think you're right. If the surround rots away, i'll buy another one - Eminence it is

First thing i'll be playing is Drum & Bass, followed by Rammstein and then some old school Metallica. If the girlfriends in the car it'll be Now That's What I Call Music xxx.

Sounds like you're having fun. Can't wait to get mine up and running...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast