+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New car hi-fi build!

I'm Andrew.

You wish to hear music whilst driving that ? Tut tut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - enjoying the roar from those tailpipes is why I've done without a decent stereo for so long, as that was already music enough to my ears!

However, there's no harm in having both. It's easy to switch... I think the stereo might end up being louder, though

However
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thumbs up Enclosures for door speakers now ready...

Just had these pics in from my installer:

Looking good. Those will eventually house the JBL door speakers, which will be brought forward and fitted behind the factory grilles. More pics to follow

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

Are you doing anything for the power? One of those super caps between the battery and the amps? They really help to keep the lights from dimming on the down beat when you’ve got that 500 watt amp wound up. Some good 4 gauge OFC to the amps also makes a noticeable difference, especially in the back so far from the battery. I’ve seen rigs that actually have a second battery installed, with an isolator, so it can charge from the alternator but will not drain the battery that starts the car. I don’t think your rig is really big enough to need all that? But the super cap is nice to feed that bass amp.

Perhaps your installer already has all this under control, if he’s as passionate about car audio as you say I’m sure he’s on top of it. Kick ass rig! Those JBL’s will slam! I know it’ll be impressive. One of my first jobs was working in a car audio shop, as an installer, it was great work, I enjoyed it.

Russell

Hi Russell,

Interesting idea... However, I seem to remember reading somewhere (but unfortunately can't find it now) that the mono amp operates in Class D, and therefore is designed not to strain the car's electrical system, even when played loudly.

I could be wrong on that though, but it that's true, then I don't think I'd need the super-caps you mention. The idea certainly appeals though, if you can suggest another way I might gain, sonically, from having them installed?

The 4-gauge OFC has already been sorted.

Marco.
    Main System

Ok, I've just spoken with my installer, and he had this to say about the power cables:

"I will run a 1/0 to the mono amp and a 4awg to the other. this system will not drain much power at all". Seems good to me!

Check out these bad-boys...

Oi loikes a nice bit of girth...

https://www.bladeice.com/product/sky...c-power-cable/

And he had this to say about 'super-caps':

"We never use power caps Marco they have a negative effect on the system as they drain more power then they put back in. if we have a problem with lights dimming a better battery is the way forward like xs power batteries, this is the correct way".

Fair enough. He's the man!

Loved this comment, on the above BladeIce website, from Mark v:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark v (verified owner) – October 31, 2014
    By far the best upgrade i have ever made in my long interest in car audio.. My system was held back by this fundamental failure on my part not using pure copper cables.. Get it all. Lugs, speaker cable and give your system a steroid boost to a completely new level…i will be back for more
    Oh yes, baby...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Russell.

Sounds like your installer has it all under control! Way back when I put stereos in there were no “better batteries”, to speak of. Only the second battery option. So being able to beef up your battery may be something to do in the future? Next time you need one.

And those cables look the business! And yes a Class D amp should be much easier to drive. My bass rig has a 500 watt class D Orange amp that’s about the size of a lunch box, weighs 11 pounds and is very easy on the power from the wall. And it’ll jerk my 8x10 cabinet around like a toy!

Russell

Hi Russell,

Yeah, batteries are a whole different ball-game now! There's a pretty 'fancy' one already in the car, one of these AGM jobbies: http://www2.exide.com/gb/en/product-...-stop-agm.aspx so we'll see how it goes.

The installer certainly has things under control, Here are some pics of 'work in progress'. Nice neat cable runs, and I like how he's incorporated the speakers into the doors, bearing in mind that they'll be going behind the factory grilles...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Russell.

The industry has changed a lot since I was an installer. Back then, stock AM radios were as big as a suitcase. On a Cadillac we joked that they put the radio on the assembly line and built the car around it! I had busted knuckles and cuts and scrapes from the raw metal under the dash boards, and most doors had no spaces for speakers, and all wire was hard wired, no connectors anywhere. All connections had to be cut and soldered.

Your installer definitely knows what he’s doing! That’s a nice clean install, I’m sure will last longer than the car. The truth is we spend more time listening to music in the car than anywhere else. So, if we had to spend a lot on a stereo, perhaps that’s where we should put it? Years ago I had a 45 minute commute each way, and installed a Sony indash with Minidisc player in it, a 4 Channel amp of 50 Watts per, with some nice Boston Acoustics speakers in the stock locations, and it was quite good! Today, I live 4 miles from where we hold band practice, and that’s about the only place I go on a regular basis, so no real need for a killer stereo. But it doesn’t mean I don’t want one!

Russell

Hi Russell,

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Your installer definitely knows what he’s doing! That’s a nice clean install, I’m sure will last longer than the car.
    Cheers, mate. Sean's a real car audio enthusiast (and expert), so loves what he's doing, and it shows. Here's a couple more pics, this time showing the Klotz interconnects having been routed in situ for the amps, near the sub enclosure:

Run of interconnects and speaker cables going into the boot space, for amps and sub:

He's doing the boot build next, which will be the sexiest bit! Looking forward to that and having the car all ready for next weekend

The truth is we spend more time listening to music in the car than anywhere else. So, if we had to spend a lot on a stereo, perhaps that’s where we should put it? Years ago I had a 45 minute commute each way, and installed a Sony indash with Minidisc player in it, a 4 Channel amp of 50 Watts per, with some nice Boston Acoustics speakers in the stock locations, and it was quite good! Today, I live 4 miles from where we hold band practice, and that’s about the only place I go on a regular basis, so no real need for a killer stereo. But it doesn’t mean I don’t want one!
    Ha... In terms of the bit in bold, that is very true. I don't do commutes into work any more, as I work from home (when I feel like it, lol), so the 'killer stereo' will be used when I'm going up north (or down south) to visit friends and family, when it can mean I'm in the car for 4-5 hours. Plus also for when my wife and I go for nice drives in the country, and want to listen to some quality tunes!

It'll also be to have a giggle, when taking a few of my (music-loving hi-fi) mates out for a cruise, in which case the stereo is liable to get cranked up, loud and proud, playing some heavy rock or dance music. In that respect, I'm looking forward to 'warming up' the sub!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast