+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: New car hi-fi build!

I'm Grant.

no idea what i al have on my car these days... the air con doesnt work. the heated windows are patchy etc etc..but i do have a cd player which seems to be going out of fashion now. new cars dont seem to have them.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, I'm all for "pure basic driving", and most importantly, feeling 'connected', rather than disconnected from the driving experience, which is what ACC does. However, I also like combining the former with *some* creature comforts

Marco.
    My car fits me like a glove, and is comfortable. I have driven from Bristol to Toulouse and back several times in it. About a 13 hour trip each way. Who needs creature comforts?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Did you do a write up of the sound Marco as I seem to have missed it? Would be great to have an audiophile assessment of your ICE!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    My car fits me like a glove, and is comfortable. I have driven from Bristol to Toulouse and back several times in it. About a 13 hour trip each way. Who needs creature comforts?
    Me - one of which is the subject of this thread!

Your Catty is cool, and no doubt a hoot to drive, but for my purposes completely impractical. I need a mix of fun and practicality, and for me, the Brabster ticks those boxes

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Did you do a write up of the sound Marco as I seem to have missed it? Would be great to have an audiophile assessment of your ICE!
    Lol - briefly, but I'll see if I can do something a bit more in depth.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    no idea what i al have on my car these days... the air con doesnt work. the heated windows are patchy etc etc..but i do have a cd player which seems to be going out of fashion now. new cars dont seem to have them.
    Yeah, that's largely because of cost-cutting, which is what most factory-fitted stereos are about. The average crap supplied, posing as a 'stereo', costs nearer pence than pounds to produce, especially when mass-produced in the tens of thousands.

As you'll have seen however, the Kenwood head unit I've got is bang up-to-date, and it has CD facility, which is what you get when the budget is higher

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Yeah, that's largely because of cost-cutting, which is what most factory-fitted stereos are about. Why fit something extra when you don't have to? As you'll have seen, the Kenwood head unit I've got is bang up-to-date, and it has CD facility

Marco.
    also a lot of younger folk dont bother with cds now.. its all file based, which i suppose is fair enough to a point. i like cds but i have been doing a trial with files etc in car off my phone via the hands free into my radio via its inbuilt transmitter and it does work pretty well.. phone calls come through radio too. its a bit of an ad hoc system but i can see how it could work well.
    guess its about getting into 21st century without kicking and screaming.... but i like a good scream
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    also a lot of younger folk dont bother with cds now.. its all file based, which i suppose is fair enough to a point.
    Yeah absolutely, but my point is, when the budget is higher, you're still offered CD facility on today's head units, if you want it. I was in Halfords the other day, and around 70% of the head units they had for sale featured CD facility.

Regardless of trends, the fact is that there are simply too many CDs out there, still being played by the masses, for car audio manufacturers to ignore, and that will remain the case for some time yet, as they simply can't afford to alienate those customers.

Like you say though, that hasn't stopped car manufacturers cutting costs by fitting cheap stereos with no CD facility, as unlike car audio manufacturers with their products, they know that it's unlikely to stop anyone from buying their cars!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Yup, I'm all for "pure basic driving", and most importantly, feeling 'connected', rather than disconnected from the driving experience, which is what ACC does. However, I also like combining the former with *some* creature comforts

Marco.
    But the point is you are disconnected when you want to be.

Being connected to unpleasant experiences is pure madness if you can avoid it, and let me put it this way. If you had it, I 100% guarantee you you would use it. Probably not as much as daily commuters, but you use cruise and ACC is simply a lot better.

Read the testaments of those who have it on this thread. It is a GOOD thing.

Rant over. Just trying to penetrate the brick wall.

Normal service now resumed.

This is a bit like me trying to convince Jerry to use a streaming service. Massive resistance followed by appreciative thanks.

You might need to change car which is a no no, obviously. So it is immaterial for you at the moment and therefore you are best ignoring it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast