+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: New car hi-fi build!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Whoa, someone's been a busy boy!

Did you build the sub-box to the correct internal volume for the driver? That's absolutely critical. A fair bit of maths is needed to get that right

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Ported is critical but you do have some leeway with sealed. A smaller sealed box takes more power to achieve the same volume as a larger one and it raises box q, so you can end up with a hump in the frequency response. But because I'm crossing at such a low frequency, the hump wont matter so much.

Recommended internal volume is 28ltr, mines 22ltr. Worse thing is to go too big imo, the cone just flops around and sounds loose (but obviously that's not the case if your driver has stiff suspension).

No worries... You'll just need to see how it sounds when you try it with some bass-heavy music, at volume. Is the sub going in the boot?

How much power's going to the sub?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Sub is going behind the passenger seat.

I've got the same JBL mono amp as you, so 350w into 4ohm. If I feel it lacks depth, I'll buy the Eminence Lab12C that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'm matt.

Fitted everything in, including a new pair of JBL GTO 609C components and - Oh dear! With the gain on the amp set to maximum there was hardly any extra bass. A select few tracks were loads better but most weren't that impressive. Feeling very dissapointed I Googled the problem and found out that Alpine head units have a subwoofer level control that adjust the pre amp output voltage. You have to set it to maximum before adjusting the gain (lots of people seem to have been cought out by this one).

How does it sound? It's like a disco in my car Bass is tight and hits hard, mids seeme pretty good to me. Treble is mostly good but sometimes gets a little bright or busy. One tweeter does measure with a big dip in the middle of the response (around 7khz IIRC). Maybe I should message the seller, or JBL UK?

I'm waiting for some foam rings to put around the outside of the midbass drivers to seal them against the door panel. Apparently it improves midbass and possibly midrange. I'll take some measurements after to compare.

Measured the thiele/small parameters of the Standard Toyota midbass driver. It's got an incredibly high QES (3.6) & QTS (2.6) caused by the smallest magnet i've ever seen on a speaker. It's 3db less sensitive than the 92.5db 2.83v/mtr JBL 609C.

Not sure if I should upgrade the head unit or not. If I do i'll probably get this - Alpine CDE-178BT

Good stuff, mate. Glad you got it sounding good in the end!

You're not still using the Toyota mid/bass drivers, are you? Because the JBLs shouldn't sound "bright or busy", although that could be the influence of the head unit. Make sure you familiarise yourself properly with all the setting controls, to optimise the sound as best as possible. Also play around with the positioning of your sub.

Btw, if you're thinking of upgrading your head unit, Kenwood do the perfect one at that price level, as it a very healthy output voltage, which gives the whole playback system/amps plenty of 'headroom'. My installer sells them, just need to check the model number, and I'll let you know, plus he'd do you a good deal

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

The toyota sound system gets a bad name, although i think mine sounds pretty decent for a standard equipment...They do a jbl upgrade but i didnt bother.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, mate. Glad you got it sounding good in the end!

You're not still using the Toyota mid/bass drivers, are you? Because the JBLs shouldn't sound "bright or busy", although that could be the influence of the head unit. Make sure you familiarise yourself properly with all the setting controls, to optimise the sound as best as possible. Also play around with the positioning of your sub.

Btw, if you're thinking of upgrading your head unit, Kenwood do the perfect one at that price level, as it a very healthy output voltage, which gives the whole playback system/amps plenty of 'headroom'. My installer sells them, just need to check the model number, and I'll let you know, plus he'd do you a good deal

Marco.
    I've still got the standard Toyota speakers in the rear but they are playing at a 3db lower level because of the sensitivity difference over the JBL, and they are high passed at 80Hz. I haven't removed the door panel yet but I think they are a full range driver because there is no sign of a tweeter anywhere. Reading online and going by my old car hifi days, most people say you shouldn't use rear fill unless it's bandpassed and delayed. I think i'll try fading to the front on my head unit to see what the JBLs sound like on there own. The old tweeters sounded similar (with and without an amp) so maybe it is the head unit causing it.

I'd rather stick with a Alpine head unit because the amp I use only works with Alpine (KTP-445A). Thanks for the offer though

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The toyota sound system gets a bad name, although i think mine sounds pretty decent for a standard equipment...They do a jbl upgrade but i didnt bother.
    I suppose it depends on what year/model Toyota you have. My old Avensis was much better than my Auris.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I suppose it depends on what year/model Toyota you have. My old Avensis was much better than my Auris.
    mine is new(chr) but to me sounds fine. goes loud enough for me and doesnt do anything nasty. not saying its great by fancy stereo levels, but, to me its a car stereo.
    think astral make the head unit. china i believe
    Last edited by struth; 13-04-2019 at 11:11.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast