+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player - not repairable confirmed - what to do next

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You might find the mastering on the CD you have superior to the mastering of the same album on the streaming service. Equally it might be he other way around. If the streaming service is using a more compressed mastering it isn't going to sound as good. Many albums have been re-mastered, some multiple times, and quite often this means the dynamic range has been markedly reduced. When using CD you have control over which mastering you listen to, with streaming you get what you are given.
    And - I hate the thought of my ability to listen to a piece of music being at the mercy of a third party - a telephone / broadband service provider. I am much more comfortable with my music being mine to hold, smell, touch, and play anytime. The only third party I am beholden to is the electric supplier. Sorry, maybe I'm just becoming an old dinosaur.....
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Robin.

In the first hifi retailer, I was told they probably haven’t sold a CD player for about 18 months, which was not a big surprise as I told them I was looking for a replacement player but they only demonstrated streaming
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    And - I hate the thought of my ability to listen to a piece of music being at the mercy of a third party - a telephone / broadband service provider. I am much more comfortable with my music being mine to hold, smell, touch, and play anytime. The only third party I am beholden to is the electric supplier. Sorry, maybe I'm just becoming an old dinosaur.....
    Good point as my Virgin media broadband as gone twice in the last week
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    In the first hifi retailer, I was told they probably haven’t sold a CD player for about 18 months, which was not a big surprise as I told them I was looking for a replacement player but they only demonstrated streaming

Yes it is all over for the CD and CD player, just like they said it was all over for vinyl records and turntables about 20 years ago. The world is a different place now though, a lot more people with disposable income, so even a niche market is tens of millions of people when you look at it on a global scale.

I'd buy a high end player second-hand for 3 or 4 hundred, don't go to a dealer and pay the same for a new one that will just be some CE tat. I mean this isn't an either/or thing. It is possible to own a cd player and CDs and still use a streaming service as well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You might find the mastering on the CD you have superior to the mastering of the same album on the streaming service. Equally it might be he other way around. If the streaming service is using a more compressed mastering it isn't going to sound as good. Many albums have been re-mastered, some multiple times, and quite often this means the dynamic range has been markedly reduced. When using CD you have control over which mastering you listen to, with streaming you get what you are given.
    I disagree about the mastering.
    Often they're derived from the same source.

I use Spotify as a streaming service, and Spotify stream material that has been treated with lossy compression.
    Whilst Spotify files can sound very good, they do not hold a candle up to the CD version, or a lossless rip of the CD.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Why rip your CDs at all?
    If the recordings are available from the streaming services like Qobuz or Spotify then you don't need the CDs anymore.
    Considering that the CD player is non functioning it makes great sense to rip the CDs.
    With a local library you have something you can access when your internet connection or your streaming service are not working.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Tony.

I couldn't tell you the last time I played a CD or indeed a record, I don't even own a CD player now. I've just recently sold an Arcam DVD27A which I only bought back in April for about £120, this was a £2k player back in 2003 when it was first released, I ended up moving it on for £100 last month.

I'm now the same with FM radio, I used to use the tuner all of the time but now I only use a Denon streamer for internet radio which includes Radio 2 Xtra and Radio four Extra or I use my iPhone to play internet radio via a Bose Mini II Soundlink speaker which is astonishingly good for the size of the speaker.

I honestly can't believe how things have changed so quickly, it's the same with movies which we now watch via an ATV four, just fire up the iTunes store app on the ATV pick a movie to rent and watch or occasionally we'll buy one.

I've a load of CDs, vinyl, DVDs and Blurays and they are just not getting used now.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Considering that the CD player is non functioning it makes great sense to rip the CDs.
    With a local library you have something you can access when your internet connection or your streaming service are not working.

I've had this conversation with people for years (I'm a plumber) when I would be quoting to replace their boilers and the standard nonsense reply was 'Oh, I'll keep the cold water storage tank just in case the water goes off' or 'I don't want a combi because blah de blah same shit' so they live with an outdated central heating boiler because 'it never breaks down, apparently which is patent pish.

I've lived in my own house (s) for the past 38 years, four of them, and I can honestly say that the water has been turned off by the water board for maybe an hour on maybe two occasions in all of that time, it's the same with broadband I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.

I've also lived with two combi boilers in two separate houses since 1992 and neither boiler has/had let me down in all of those years, the current boiler is now 12 years old and I've spent about £100 on parts in all of that time.

I'm Robin.

At the moment I still intend to buy another CD player, probably not new. I have been offered a couple, but so far nothing suitable locally .
    I have lots of tracks in my iTunes library unfortunately in a variety of formats and I would like to move that from my MacBook Pro laptop to a Nas.
    So looking to source a decent CD player and Streamer.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I've had this conversation with people for years (I'm a plumber) when I would be quoting to replace their boilers and the standard nonsense reply was 'Oh, I'll keep the cold water storage tank just in case the water goes off' or 'I don't want a combi because blah de blah same shit' so they live with an outdated central heating boiler because 'it never breaks down, apparently which is patent pish.

I've lived in my own house (s) for the past 38 years, four of them, and I can honestly say that the water has been turned off by the water board for maybe an hour on maybe two occasions in all of that time, it's the same with broadband I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.

I've also lived with two combi boilers in two separate houses since 1992 and neither boiler has/had let me down in all of those years, the current boiler is now 12 years old and I've spent about £100 on parts in all of that time.
    My boiler is fine Tony, a lot more reliable than my Virgin media service.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast