+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player - not repairable confirmed - what to do next

I'm Grant.

Bar speakers mine is too. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Bar speakers mine is too. Lol
    My speakers are light oak - a long way from black
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Although most of my listening is vinyl, I still have a few hundred cds, so I will still need something for them.
    You could always rip them to lossless...

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    You could always rip them to lossless...

True
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm gone.

Why rip your CDs at all?
    If the recordings are available from the streaming services like Qobuz or Spotify then you don't need the CDs anymore.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Why rip your CDs at all?
    If the recordings are available from the streaming services like Qobuz or Spotify then you don't need the CDs anymore.
    Good point, just seems a bit strange to have a few hundred cds and not have the ability to play them.
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Martin.

You might find the mastering on the CD you have superior to the mastering of the same album on the streaming service. Equally it might be he other way around. If the streaming service is using a more compressed mastering it isn't going to sound as good. Many albums have been re-mastered, some multiple times, and quite often this means the dynamic range has been markedly reduced. When using CD you have control over which mastering you listen to, with streaming you get what you are given.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Good point, just seems a bit strange to have a few hundred cds and not have the ability to play them.
    I have kept most of my CDs as a backup, and I have a decent DVD player as a means to play them into my DAC - for use when the internet is down locally, or in case of computer problems etc. Or in case all the streaming services fold. And for the few recordings that don't seem to be available streaming yet (Linn and Hyperion are labels that you can't get, I'm sure there are lots of others. And not all of a record label's catalogue and back catalogue are going to be available streamed.)

So yes, for me there are still reasons to keep CDs and to be able to play them.

I'm Lawrence.

I haven't quite dropped the idea of ownership yet, I'm coming to terms with the lack of physical media (or separate media for each album I should say) but the concept of relying on a third party to supply me with the music when I want it still feels a bit, well, like it's not mine anymore. Plus who knows where the world will be in 10 years, I'm not ready to drop mine yet. Of course, they could go in the loft for emergency use, with the baked beans and Kalashnikovs

I'm Grant.

in a few years folk will be referring to cd over streaming the way they do re vinyl over cd. "its great to plonk that disc down, and close the drawer", etc
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast