+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: CD player - not repairable confirmed - what to do next

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Correct!
    Now the other year I bought an album by John Patitucci

It came out in 2015.
    The mastering on Spotify and on the CD is one and the same.
    On Spotify is has been subject to lossy encoding.
    On Spotify it sounds very good, but the CD, and the lossless rip I actually play, sound noticeably better.

The remainder of your post speaks volumes about your music listening habits.
    Granted, you mention the issue of dynamic compression, but that's a side issue.
    What if the OP doesn't listen to music from the 1980s?
    Hey I freely admit I listen to next to nothing made after about 1995. But all the classic albums from the 1960s and 1970s were issued on CD in the 1980s. And I'm assuming that the op listens to them at least sometimes as that's all the best music. What mastering is being used for Are You Experienced or Led Zep III on Spotify or whatever? I suppose if he has them all on vinyl then he can use vinyl. I'll grant you that if you only want streaming to listen to post '95 then there's no issue as if the CD has heavy compression will be likely be just as bad with the streamed version.

Dynamic compression really does make a difference. If a new release is heavily compressed then you can chalk it down to being what the artist wanted so that's fair enough even if it is shite. But there's no excuse for wrecking the classic stuff with it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robin.

I think from memory I only have about 2 albums on vinyl and cd, I only bought cds because the albums were being being released on vinyl at the time.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Robin.

Interesting not much interest in the Cambridge or Arcam products
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Simon.

Out of interest what Marantz cd player is it that's frizzed?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Out of interest what Marantz cd player is it that's frizzed?
    Dr 6000 cd recorder
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    I took my Marantz CD player in for repair the other day, and afterwards took a trip into one of the hifi dealers to see what was currently available and also should I tip my toe into the streaming world.
    The staff were very friendly and helpful although there was no interest in selling my CD player only streaming with a Nas and Linn streamer being their suggested path, probably around £2200.

Today it was confirmed that the CD player was not worthy of repair, the spare parts being no longer available. As we were the city center today I dropped into Richer Sounds to see what the had to offer, the main suggestions were either a Cambridge Streamer CXN at £800, or an Arcam cds50 which is a Sacd player and streamer at £700.

I was thinking of a Bluesound Vault as a possibility but have deceived I will probably move my music library to a Nas.

Been an interesting couple of days.

All suggestions welcome.
    Couple of friends use the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N player and love it. I've often played with these streamers at their place and it is very good. Lots of features so can be used in a variety of different ways. Has DACs, digital preamp and a whole array of features. Only downside I saw was that it does not recognise embedded artwork (may have been fixed by now). Cambridge Audio can and do often update the features remotely (e.g. Tidal in the past few months).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Couple of friends use the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N player and love it. I've often played with these streamers at their place and it is very good. Lots of features so can be used in a variety of different ways. Has DACs, digital preamp and a whole array of features. Only downside I saw was that it does not recognise embedded artwork (may have been fixed by now). Cambridge Audio can and do often update the features remotely (e.g. Tidal in the past few months).
    Good to know, thanks
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

I'm Steve.

Was contemplating some of the same issues especially after my experiences over the last couple of days... might be of some use.
    So I have a Kenwood dp x9010 transport bought a while ago from a guy in Wales from AOS (sorry forgotten who). Anyway, it’s always been ok fed through a Caiman with Longdog linear supply. Preferred a rpi/iqaudio using a power bank fed from Ethernet NAS however.
    Until yesterday morning.
    So a couple of weeks ago I got a Chord Mojo to go on holiday with.
    It was fantastic feeding my Sennheiser 650’s on the plane using my iPhone. Not only that but it has two headphone out 3.5 mm so I could enjoy watching films from my wife’s iPad along with her.
    Yesterday morning (2nd week of hols!!) I thought I might see what it was like using the Kenwood into the Mojo and then switch it to line out into my Lyngdorf/Harbeth P3ESR’s.
    Just one of those OMG moments.
    It’s had me scrambling into the attic fishing out cds that I’ve stored away for years.
    Can’t quite believe I’m listening to the same machine. Detail/3D space etc etc

I don’t have the facility to feed the raspberry pi (well pies actually as I’ve got a few) into the mojo yet
    I need to get a digi out thing and pull out the iqaudio Dacs to compare, but I have a feeling I know what the result will be.
    Happy days

Ok, so the mojo was pushing £400. However given that it’s portable (battery only), the flexibility it gives is awesome and could be used for cd, streaming, portable audio... and of course in the car.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    it's the same with broadband I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.
    I live less than 3 miles from the local BT exchange so it's not as though we are out in the sticks. Our telephone line (aka Broadband) has gone down three times in the past 12 months, each time for over 24 hours. Once due to cable theft at the exchange, once due to flooding at the exchange and once due to "technical issues" at the exchange.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Was contemplating some of the same issues especially after my experiences over the last couple of days... might be of some use.
    So I have a Kenwood dp x9010 transport bought a while ago from a guy in Wales from AOS (sorry forgotten who). Anyway, it’s always been ok fed through a Caiman with Longdog linear supply. Preferred a rpi/iqaudio using a power bank fed from Ethernet NAS however.
    Until yesterday morning.
    So a couple of weeks ago I got a Chord Mojo to go on holiday with.
    It was fantastic feeding my Sennheiser 650’s on the plane using my iPhone. Not only that but it has two headphone out 3.5 mm so I could enjoy watching films from my wife’s iPad along with her.
    Yesterday morning (2nd week of hols!!) I thought I might see what it was like using the Kenwood into the Mojo and then switch it to line out into my Lyngdorf/Harbeth P3ESR’s.
    Just one of those OMG moments.
    It’s had me scrambling into the attic fishing out cds that I’ve stored away for years.
    Can’t quite believe I’m listening to the same machine. Detail/3D space etc etc

I don’t have the facility to feed the raspberry pi (well pies actually as I’ve got a few) into the mojo yet
    I need to get a digi out thing and pull out the iqaudio Dacs to compare, but I have a feeling I know what the result will be.
    Happy days

Ok, so the mojo was pushing £400. However given that it’s portable (battery only), the flexibility it gives is awesome and could be used for cd, streaming, portable audio... and of course in the car.
    Might be an option, will investigate further when I’m home at the weekend after a wee holiday
    Regards
    Robin

Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast