+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player - not repairable confirmed - what to do next

I have read the whole thread but I still can't figure out what make and model CDP it is, and what the fault is? Was that in a different topic?

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I have read the whole thread but I still can't figure out what make and model CDP it is, and what the fault is? Was that in a different topic?
    It was a Marantz Dr 6000 and
    Unit requires Laser Traverse Mechanism Assy. Regrettably spare part has been discontinued by manufacturer. No Longer Available.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    I've had this conversation with people for years (I'm a plumber) when I would be quoting to replace their boilers and the standard nonsense reply was 'Oh, I'll keep the cold water storage tank just in case the water goes off' or 'I don't want a combi because blah de blah same shit' so they live with an outdated central heating boiler because 'it never breaks down, apparently which is patent pish.

I've lived in my own house (s) for the past 38 years, four of them, and I can honestly say that the water has been turned off by the water board for maybe an hour on maybe two occasions in all of that time, it's the same with broadband I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.

I've also lived with two combi boilers in two separate houses since 1992 and neither boiler has/had let me down in all of those years, the current boiler is now 12 years old and I've spent about £100 on parts in all of that time.
    on my first combi, and had zero trouble. saves a fortune too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I really can't recall losing broadband for any length of time in the 13 years that we've lived in this current house.
    The majority of broadband provision in the UK is over a telephone line, and there are a multitude of things that can occur to cause the service to fail.
    You've been very lucky.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

I couldn't tell you the last time I played a CD or indeed a record, I don't even own a CD player now. I've just recently sold an Arcam DVD27A which I only bought back in April for about £120, this was a £2k player back in 2003 when it was first released, I ended up moving it on for £100 last month.

I'm now the same with FM radio, I used to use the tuner all of the time but now I only use a Denon streamer for internet radio which includes Radio 2 Xtra and Radio four Extra or I use my iPhone to play internet radio via a Bose Mini II Soundlink speaker which is astonishingly good for the size of the speaker.

I honestly can't believe how things have changed so quickly, it's the same with movies which we now watch via an ATV four, just fire up the iTunes store app on the ATV pick a movie to rent and watch or occasionally we'll buy one.

I've a load of CDs, vinyl, DVDs and Blurays and they are just not getting used now.
    i usually buy my films, usually when on offer, via itunes or amazon. stream them and save space etc. broadband is fibre and not had any major issues since ive had it, from 2 suppliers.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The majority of broadband provision in the UK is over a telephone line, and there are a multitude of things that can occur to cause the service to fail.
    You've been very lucky.
    Doubt it, I had BT Broadband for years and before that 02 and Sky, rarely an issue with any of them although I've now moved to Virgin cable because BT speeds were/are pish for a modern home but it still worked.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    My boiler is fine Tony, a lot more reliable than my Virgin media service.
    I've been with them for the last four months and find the service very good indeed, I read all of the negative stuff about their poor customer service etc but so far so good.

BT Business is very good for customer service (still have their phone line) but normal BT CS is terrible or was and BT now owns EE/TMobile who I've been with for about 20 years but so far nothing has really changed with them yet and it's still a very good service IMO.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i usually buy my films, usually when on offer, via itunes or amazon. stream them and save space etc. broadband is fibre and not had any major issues since ive had it, from 2 suppliers.
    We've bought about 80 movies from Apple Grant, unbelievably easy to buy or rent and they have a very good catalogue of movies especially older classic ones, you can rent a decent film from 99p which we do often.

I'm Robin.

We've bought about 80 movies from Apple Grant, unbelievably easy to buy or rent and they have a very good catalogue of movies especially older classic ones, you can rent a decent film from 99p which we do often.
    I will be renting a couple of movies this week for the holiday flights next week
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I disagree about the mastering.
    Often they're derived from the same source.

From the same source as what? You've only got to look on the DR Database to see that many re-issues have a far lower DR. It maybe that the streaming service offers the less compressed mastering but there's no guarantee of that, and if their version of the album is one that has been dynamically compressed then you've no option. I'm not talking about lossy or lossless here, that's a different thing altogether. But you know that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast