+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable - novice intro/info

I'm Philip.

Default Turntable - novice intro/info

I know virtually nothing about turntables.

Would a lenco gl75 be a good intro?
    They don’t seem to go for much on ebay.

What sort of cartridge/stylus would be suitable? Price?

I presume it needs a phono stage.
    What would be a good inexpensive one (sub 100) ?

I’m not trying to get tne last word in detail etc, obviously.
    I just fancy trying it, the experience, the drama.

What is normal to pay for an lp?

Thanks for any help.

I'm Geoff.

If you know nothing about turntables, buy a Rega. They are the simplest and easiest to maintain.

The GL75 is a nice deck, but you need to be a bit handy if it needs fettling.

I'm sure you'd find the Rega sound quality decent. It will take a midrange MM cartridge without much bother, obviously a Rega cartridge will be a good match physically, but I'm not desperately keen on their sound.

I'm Grant.

Should get a phono amp here second hand for under a ton.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Stay away from Lencos if you are a novice - they always need work done on them, most commonly the arm v-bearings are shot.

The budget Regas or Pro-Jects are your best bet. I think the budget Regas have a Rega Carbon cartridge fitted which is perfectly fine. The budget Pro-Jects probably have decent budget cartridges as part of the package too - the AT95E is great for £30 if not.

How much do LPs cost? New vinyl LPs are generally around £20 and s/h vinyl varies depending on condition, rarity and source. I guess count on £5 - £10 for a decent condition copy of a popular 80's release such as Paul Young's "No Parlez"

Agree with Grant, you should be able to pick up a decent Cambridge Audio or Pro-Ject phono stage for under £100.

Good luck!

I'm John.

The Rega Rp1 is ok for a budget TT but I would definitely recommend upgrading the cartridge with a better second hand one than the one it comes with.

It is dead easy to set up too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

I would agree with what's already been said and get a Rega, there're plenty on ebay if you want 2nd hand and loads you can do to them to improve the already very good sound quality, regarding a cartridge a decent Audio Technica or Ortofon would suite the deck and any of the Rega arms

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Daz.

I have just happened to be at the Works bookstore recently and this drew my attention:

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/new-non.../9781785211652

I did not look into it really, but it does look like some interesting literature for vinyl enthusiasts, also beginners. Perhaps you would like to have a look at it? It costs peanuts, so no risk.

I'm Dave.

Rega all the way. A plug n play P1 will do you nicely.

I sell 2 - 3 of these each week and the majority have gone to new comers to vinyl and youngsters who have discovered Dad's LP collection.

I'm steve.

Default Turntable - novice intro/info

The Project Elemental Phono USB gets my vote, very plug and play, no phono stage to buy as it's built in. Comes with a decent Ortofon cartridge pre fitted. Unusual but rather cool styling IMO. Reviews I've read are all very positive on the sound quality front, there are one or two used ones on eBay atm for £100-£125.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Ject-...IAAOSwpG1bWb31

This listing is from Henley Designs who are Projects UK importers, so it's likely it will be in like new condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Philip.

Thanks for all the replies.
    There goes my ideal of a vintage turntable!
    I prefer old. But hey ho.

For the rega, what stand alone phono stage under 100 used?
    I want to use my valve amp.
    I assume phono stage connects via rca to valve amp line in?
    Is a p1 with updated cartrdge as good as a lenco 75?
    For the project, although usb, i can also connect to valve amp using rca instead?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast