+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable - novice intro/info

I'm Dave.

You can buy the Planar-1 as a Planar-1 Plus, which has an inbuilt phono stage. In this guise, the phono stage is costing you £80. As plug n play as you can get.

A GL75 can be good but you need to have some knowledge, skill and be prepared to spend quite a bit on spares, solid plinth etc. Definitely not for the novice IMO.

I'm Kevan.

Just another opinion, the GL75 or L75 is a really good deck and can be got very cheaply. Many will be a bit rough but the website https://www.lencoheaven.net/ is full of knowledge advice and assistance.

The arm is ok for medium compliance cartridges, mine is running a goldring 1024 is in its original plinth and sounds ridiculously good. It did need new v blocks but that is not a difficult job.

Really read Lencoheaven to get an idea of what you are letting yourself in for but you will end up with a deck considerably better than entry level Project or Rega possibly for less money !

Caber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caber10

Main System:
    Thorens TD160 Mk11 , SME 3009 Mk 2 improved, Stanton 681EE
    2 X Quad 33/303 recently fully recapped and serviced
    Quad ESL63 with Gradient SW63
    Cyrus CD1
    Beresford Caiman, Gator board and Dorado
    Chromecast Audio

Bedroom:
    Chromecast auido
    Cyrus 2
    Ackroyd Coniston on stands

Kitchen:
    Chromecast audio
    Chinese valve amp kit
    Boliver model 18 stand mount speakers

Gallery
    Dunlop SystemDek 2X
    GramAmp2 phono stage
    Beresford Bushmaster with output mods
    Chromecast Audio
    CELEF PE1 monitors

I'm steve.

Default Turntable - novice intro/info

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    There goes my ideal of a vintage turntable!
    I prefer old. But hey ho.

For the rega, what stand alone phono stage under 100 used?
    I want to use my valve amp.
    I assume phono stage connects via rca to valve amp line in?
    Is a p1 with updated cartrdge as good as a lenco 75?
    For the project, although usb, i can also connect to valve amp using rca instead?

Thanks
    Yes there are RCA outputs to go straight into a line input on your amp, the USB is if you want to digitise any of your vinyl. Modern decks are generally less hassle and sound better.
    Another option you might not have considered is a Direct Drive deck like the Audio Technica ATLP120,
    it a clone of the Technics SL1200, normally comes fitted with the AT95E cartridge which suits it very well, they can be had new for a little over £200, it has a built in phono stage and USB out as well, I owned one a couple of years ago and really liked it, particularly with a cork mat. Only sold it on to fund my Rega Planar 3.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Tec...-/332347242014
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Johan.

I agree with Kevan, if you are able to use a screwdriver and handle things with care, a GL/L 75 is a good option. They are well made, , rock solid, easy to understand and built with swiss presicion. The arm is underratet, it is also wery well built, but usually need change of some delicate parts. If you grt one, and fix it, it will run for years, delivering better sound quality than most Regas.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    There goes my ideal of a vintage turntable!
    I prefer old. But hey ho.

Is a p1 with updated cartrdge as good as a lenco 75?

Thanks
    NO
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Philip.

I have only fairly recently bought a primaluna which is excellent.
    But no phono stage.
    I don't want to use anothee amp, so if i needed a seperate phono stage, what is a good one for around £100 used, that will work with riga/lenco etc?
    Does such a thing exist at that price?

I'm Dave.

As above post 11.

I'm Andrew.

The GL75 is very simple to work on. There are plenty of Lenco owners on here (me included) and Lenco Heaven is one of the friendliest and knowledgeable bunch of guys you'll ever meet. You'll also be able to easily sell the Lenco if you dont like it.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Matt.

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB, at £399 has a Pro-Ject phono stage built into it & also has a Ortofon 2m red cart included which is a decent cartridge at the point.
    Easy to set up & use, looks decent & will see you right until the point where you may want to dip your toe into something more exotic/ upmarket.

I'm Steve.

Hi Grantham

A P1 is a different deck altogether.
    For a budget deck it gives a really good performance for the money but you'll need a better cartridge than the carbon it comes with.
    As for a phono stage...theres plenty of really good quality second hand stages... you only need to post your need for one on AOS and you'll get plenty of offers.

Regards Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast