+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Turntable - novice intro/info

I'm Phil.

I moved from a Pro-ject debut 2 to a Rega rp3 to a Thorens td160. The Thorens looks the best, sounds the best and is the most fun. I think fiddling with turntables is half the fun - if you don’t like the effort then probably best to stick to digital - and the Thorens is pretty easy to fettle even for someone like me with very limited experience of woodwork or soldering.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post

I actually like the idea of fettling a gl75.
    Whether my eyesight can handle it i’m not sure.
    Big magnifier time.

I like tne idea of rehousing in a better plinth.
    Is that a big job?
    Although overall I agree with everything that has been said on here regarding entry level turntables (Rega, Pro-Ject, AT, etc) it seems Phil that you are set more on a vintage look and have rather taken to the the idea of a Lenco.

I'd definitely point you in the direction of Lenco Heaven if that's the case - you may even be able to buy one there as they have an ads section.

As I mentioned previously, I once owned more than 20 Lencos - I know, crazy but it was kind of a mid-life crisis - safer (just) than motorbikes, etc. I had absolutely no previous knowledge but did know a guy who showed me the ropes, some quite fiddly work and soldering, etc. Within a few months I could have set up a cottage industry refurbishing them so it can be done. Actually, I believe Hi Fi Dave still has one of my refurbished GL70s?

Why did I end up moving all my Lencos on? In the end I did not want to be fiddling so I moved to Rega and Technics decks.

One final thought that has been touched on by others. If you like a retro look, the Technics SL1200 variants are certainly worth considering. Problem is, they are so popular now that decent second hand prices have risen and you may be looking at well in excess of £250 for a decent one. The DJ looks are also not to everyone's taste but personally I love them - machines designed to do a job and they do it very well.

Cheers

Phil

I'm steve.

Default Turntable - novice intro/info

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

yup, that one. looks fine..
    I owned an ATLP120 for about a year and found it a very decent deck once I got rid of the useless DJ slipmat it comes with, sounded much better with a 3mm cork mat.
    Standard fit AT95E is a great starter cartridge too. Only criticism I had was the downforce calibration on the counterweight was inaccurate, 2g on the counterweight scale was actually 2.34g when measured with a digital scale, 17% under read is not good. Only parted with it to fund a nearly new Planar 3 which I'm totally happy with.
    Planning to get an ATLP5 for my second system upstairs when I can raise the cash, it reckons to be a good step up in sound quality for not much more money than the ATLP120.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 06-09-2018 at 13:06.

I'm Philip.

The Audio Technica LP5 looks nice.
    But being black, i can't see it very well.

I'm Philip.

Still mulling over options.
    Is a technics s-1200 a good choice?
    There doesn’t appear to be a huge difference in price between a mk2 and mk5.
    Is there one to go for?

I'm steve.

Is there one to go for?
    One of the earlier posters in this thread, Phil Bishop recently bought one of the new Technics SL1200 variants, the model that sells for about £1100 and he’s very impressed with it, he reckons it’s his “go to” deck of choice which is quite something when you consider he owns 2 Rega RP6s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Is there one to go for?
    There's nothing wrong with a decent used Mk.II. I've had a couple of mint examples that performed just fine. Asking prices for a nice one seem to be £300 to £400.

I'm mike.

i have a garrard sp 25 mk3, might need a bit of fettling but you can have it for free, has cart and stylus and was running fine last time i used it but that was a while ago.
    cheers
    Mike.

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by 09mike69 View Post
    i have a garrard sp 25 mk3, might need a bit of fettling but you can have it for free, has cart and stylus and was running fine last time i used it but that was a while ago.
    cheers
    Mike.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the very kind offer.
    If i don’t get sorted i may come back to you.
    Thank you.

I'm Mike.

I think i've seen just about every affordable deck mentioned in this thread, Rega, Lenco, Linn, Technics etc. my point is everyones taste and point of view is different, the honest answer is there is nothing wrong with any of the decks mentioned, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, from your 1st post you state that you know very little about this format and just want to dip your toe in so to speak, if that's the case get something that won't need you to have to start fixing and fettling before you've even played an LP at the end of the day it might not be for you.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast