+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TT suggestions to complement a modded SL-1210?

I'm Nick.

Default TT suggestions to complement a modded SL-1210?

So this thread kind of follows on from my last one asking about a 1210 v Michell Orbe.

I have a modded Technics 1210 (Jelco 750 + Yannis silver re-wire/ Oyaide carbon-fibre headshell/ Denon DL-103 / Funk Firm 'Audiophile' platter/ Mike New bearing/ Paul Hynes SR-5 external PSU / Isonoe feet) that I enjoy and intend to keep, but it's the only TT I own and I'm considering looking for another turntable with a different presentation to complement it. So not really interested in another DD.

Would love to hear some recommendations for TTs that you think would complement or even improve on the 1210's presentation? I'd characterize it as muscular, with rock-solid timing and pitch but maybe a little too up-front and 'in-your-face' at times. I'd like to find something with more subtlety, but still with the pitch and timing stability. Open to both vintage or modern.

Budget is up to around 3.5k max (for deck without tonearm)

Contenders at the moment:

Thorens TD124 mkii
    Origin Live Resolution
    Nottingham Analogue Dias
    Michell Orbe

I'm Andrew.

An idler. Garrard/Lenco or the Thorens. You could get a decent 301/401 or TD124 for that budget. The Lenco 75 is only a smidge behind these and a hell of a lot cheaper.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Hugo.

I'd certainly add the Soulines Kubrick DCX to the list. I'm not entirely neutral on this, since I sell it, but it is a beautifully engineered and made deck with great speed stability and a truly musical and lyrical performance. More details at https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product...dcx-turntable/ . You're welcome to a home demonstration of the Kubrick DCX with either Jelco TK-850S tonearm or Timestep T-609.

Adam Smith's HFN Review of the Kubrick DCX can be seen here
    Stereophile Review here
    HiFi Pig Review here
    TNT Review here

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    So this thread kind of follows on from my last one asking about a 1210 v Michell Orbe.

I have a modded Technics 1210 (Jelco 750 + Yannis silver re-wire/ Oyaide carbon-fibre headshell/ Denon DL-103 / Funk Firm 'Audiophile' platter/ Mike New bearing/ Paul Hynes SR-5 external PSU / Isonoe feet) that I enjoy and intend to keep, but it's the only TT I own and I'm considering looking for another turntable with a different presentation to complement it. So not really interested in another DD.

Would love to hear some recommendations for TTs that you think would complement or even improve on the 1210's presentation? I'd characterize it as muscular, with rock-solid timing and pitch but maybe a little too up-front and 'in-your-face' at times. I'd like to find something with more subtlety, but still with the pitch and timing stability. Open to both vintage or modern.

Thorens TD124 mkii
    Origin Live Resolution
    Nottingham Analogue Dias
    Michell Orbe

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post

Thorens TD124 mkii
    Origin Live Resolution
    Nottingham Analogue Dias
    Michell Orbe
    £3.5k would get you a nicely serviced SP10 Mk2.. Then again, I sold my SP10 Mk2 in favour of a Sony TTS-8000 and these don't crop up too often but are usually around the £500-£1000 mark.

Also, I do not wish to denigrate any of your choices as they are all fine decks, but if you're used to SL-1210 speed stability, then the belt drives might come as a bit of a disappointment.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    £3.5k would get you a nicely serviced SP10 Mk2.. Then again, I sold my SP10 Mk2 in favour of a Sony TTS-8000 and these don't crop up too often but are usually around the £500-£1000 mark.

Also, I do not wish to denigrate any of your choices as they are all fine decks, but if you're used to SL-1210 speed stability, then the belt drives might come as a bit of a disappointment.
    What's better. The SP10 or the Sony TTS8000

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Robert.

Better ? Probably different sound/flavour. Both are damn good decks, built with application and intent to be so http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TTS-8000.html
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Pete.

Have a listen to a Linn LP12 with a decent arm and cartridge - see if you can get a demo of the latest Majik at a dealers.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What's better. The SP10 or the Sony TTS8000

As I said, I preferred the Sony, but the Technics is no slouch.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    As I said, I preferred the Sony, but the Technics is no slouch.
    Fair enough.

I'm Robert.

Lovely deck the TTS 8000. Its bigger brother the PS-X9..... man would i like one of those ! Go for big bucks though
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast