+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TT suggestions to complement a modded SL-1210?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Lovely deck the TTS 8000. Its bigger brother the PS-X9..... man would i like one of those ! Go for big bucks though
    What do you think eventually persuaded me to sell the TTS-8000?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    What do you think eventually persuaded me to sell the TTS-8000?
    Nice one! and congratulations if you do own a fabulous deck like that
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm jamie.

i wouldn't mind a tts-8000.........NO I WOULDN'T..... yes i would,SHUT UP and step away from buy it now......

HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i wouldn't mind a tts-8000.........NO I WOULDN'T..... yes i would,SHUT UP and step away from buy it now......

HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!
    I'm no good to you Jamie, know it too well my self lol
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 01-09-2018 at 03:13.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

montesquieu Guest

Edited as I didn't read the budget info.

Got to be an idler. Personally for all they look superb I'd avoid the Garrard 301, never been a fan .. 401 is better in my opinion, though my favourite idler is the TD124 MkII (not the Mk1 with the iron platter which restricts your cartridge options) however the Schopper platter takes the mass back up to what the Mk1 has. I have one on mine and wouldn't go back, one of the few true upgrades with no down side.

Ive been through a lot of arms on mine, I've ended up with a pair of Ikedas, 12in and 9in (IT407 and IT345 respectively), in my setup they bettered loads of previous arms including FR64S, SME M2-12R, Ortofon RMG309, Audio Note Arm3/II, the AO unipivot, and the Timestep/Groovemaster 12in, though in some cases not by a great deal and obviously arm choice drives cartridge. Ideally you want one with a removable headshell.

Reading Nari's text below I'd avoid the Rock Reference, even more than a decade ago mine was getting a bit flaky and even Max doesn't have the parts any more. One of the few belt drive decks that doesn't have audible wobble though. No point in an SP10 really it's your upgrade from the Techie rather than something complementary. I have a soft spot for the Kuzma Reference which might be in budget though you won't get an arm as well for that.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 31-08-2018 at 18:58.

I'm Nari.

These days 3.5k don,t get you much new but still there are plenty you could find used, I would seriously consider a Pink Triangle anniversary I think one of the nicest matches for the sme V and iv there was alot of research done into the arm board and termination resulting in a great match. if you can get one it has the most superb midrange, a Townshend rock reference is a nice turntable too superb bass reproduction very stable sound and very detailed. Of the idler drive turntables a Thorens 124 is my fav superb add a Sme 12r and you have a very solid performer. The Sme model 10 can be a bit boring if used with a conventional Sme arm but add a M-9R and a spu and becomes a lovely turntable actually very musical I have heard this combination and it can produce a superb midrange and great texture rather good bass too. I would avoid Sme mode al 20/2 with Sme v can be a little too dry and boring. The sp10 can also sound great I particularly like it with a fidelity research fr64. The Orbe is still a good option as provides great value for money when you think of all the other nonsense out theere
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 31-08-2018 at 19:32.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    These days 3.5k don,t get you much new but still there are plenty you could find used, I would seriously consider a Pink Triangle anniversary I think one of the nicest matches for the sme V and iv there was alot of research done into the arm board and termination resulting in a great match. if you can get one it has the most superb midrange, a Townshend rock reference is a nice turntable too superb bass reproduction very stable sound and very detailed. Of the idler drive turntables a Thorens 124 is my fav superb add a Sme 9r and you have a very solid performer. The Sme model 10 can be a bit boring if used with a conventional Sme arm but add a M-9R and a spu and becomes a lovely turntable actually very musical I have heard this combination and it can produce a superb midrange and great texture rather good bass too. I would avoid Sme mode al 20/2 with Sme v can be a little too dry and boring. The sp10 can also sound great I particularly like it with a fidelity research fr64. The Orbe is still a good option as provides great value for money when you think of all the other nonsense out theere
    Agreed re the SME Model 20, I put a Graham Phantom on mine, and the SME 5 on a Garrard 401.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Agreed re the SME Model 20, I put a Graham Phantom on mine, and the SME 5 on a Garrard 401.
    I have always found sme arms very difficult to get right but can sound very good on the right deck, I dont use a sme V-12 on my sme 30/12 turntable but sounds great on my micro seiki my thales arm works well on the sme but not so good on the seiki.Neil always nice to see others who have multiple turntable would be rather boring living with one and the many arm cartridge combos make it even more fun. I managed to purchase a Graham Phantom elite 12" tonearm just mounted it on the 30/12 will be interesting to see what it does it terms of performance.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nick.

Lots to think about here, thank you for your thoughts everyone. Defo going to try and listen to some idlers... Thorens 124 was on my list... kind of discounted the LP12 as comments are mixed about them, some say they love the sound, others say don't believe the hype...
    The 1210, while rock-solid, can sometimes sound a bit like a digital music player for that same reason, especially when listening to modern vinyl of digital recordings.. guess I'm looking for something more 'musical' altho' that's a pretty vague goal, I do realize.

I'm Nick.

So no love here for the Origin Live Resolution? Supposed to be a belt-drive with solid timing...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast