+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ears, amps and Speakers.

I'm Rob.

Hello Pigmy pony & Lawerance001,

Thanks for the speaker suggestions, but I'll try the 852's first.

That's if the owner still wants to part with them.

I'm Rob.

Hello Macca, Pigmy pony & hifinutt,

Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony:
    Could it also be the listening room, maybe higher frequencies bouncing off surfaces and clashing with each other? There are probably so many variables, that all you can do is try stuff in your room and see.

I was told by some 'expert' years ago, that the speaker that impresses immediately is the one most likely to 'grate' with extended listening, while tonally less exciting ones will probably be a more satisfying sound in the long term. Was this crap or did he have a point?
    Originally posted by Macca:
    I think so, although it's a bit over-simplified. Some speakers that don't impress immediately never impress. And then you've got matching to the room and amplifiers to take into account.
    The room my system is in was a nightmare for reflected sounds, it has plaster painted walls and ceilling that behave like sounding boards, the floor is laminate is a laminated one also.

I have however worked hard to combat this, having made some large diy absorbtion panels for both the walls behind the speakers and facing the speakers, I've also put a rug on the floor.

These changes to the room have definitely improved SQ.

It didn't take me long to realise that these speakers had blown out of the water all that had come before.

I'm Rob.

Hello alphaGT, Jandl100 & Simon LDT,

Thanks for your advice concerning the graphic EQs.

I'm Rob.

Interestingly, I did an AB comparison between my Caiman SEG dac and the Xonar D1 sound card dac in my PC, with both of them connected to the amp at the same time. The SEG to my ears sounds more agressive in the highs than the Xonar does.

Anyone else have a SEG?

I'm Steve.

I don't know if this is sinister or what, but an advert for hearing aids has appeared at the bottom of this page!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

'Pensioners' are going 'crazy' for them, apparently.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post

The room my system is in was a nightmare for reflected sounds, it has plaster painted walls and ceilling that behave like sounding boards, the floor is laminate is a laminated one also.

I have however worked hard to combat this, having made some large diy absorbtion panels for both the walls behind the speakers and facing the speakers, I've also put a rug on the floor.

These changes to the room have definitely improved SQ.

It didn't take me long to realise that these speakers had blown out of the water all that had come before.
    Yeah they are good speakers, you don't want to get rid of them anytime soon.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Pensioners' are going 'crazy' for them, apparently.
    Well why wouldn't they
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Rob.

Hello Pieoftheday,

How big/comfortable are these hearing aids?

My grandfather back in the day had one and he needed and amplifier about the size of a pack of cigarettes to power it, he kept in his shirt pocket.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Hello Pieoftheday,

How big/comfortable are these hearing aids?

My grandfather back in the day had one and he needed and amplifier about the size of a pack of cigarettes to power it, he kept in his shirt pocket.
    Hi Rob, I have a Siemens teneo m+ via nhs/Specsavers, it fits snug behind the ear,much smaller than they used to be ,,it's useful to try various domes,that's the bit that goes in your ear, some will suit much better than others,the audioligist should know his stuff ,though I did experiment my self. It took me a while to get used to it, almost gave up,but it can take your brain a while to adjust.i only use mine for tv/music and so it still takes me 5 minutes to adjust,i should wear it all the time really.it has a volume so you can adjust to suit,it isn't perfect but definitely worth while Jim
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 01-09-2018 at 15:53.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast