+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JJ Valves

I'm Shaun.

Default JJ Valves

It's common knowledge that I use a Prima Luna pre/power combination of which the preamp was bought secondhand. It is a Prologue Three with a built in mm phono stage that I no longer need but, you know, it is still there. Well, up to two days ago it was still fitted with the original Prima Luna stamped valves; not anymore. I recently bought a set of JJ valves that were made up of two GZ34 rectifiers, two 12AX7's and two 12AU7's. Now I have only had one music session so far listening to Pink Floyd's 'The Division Bell' and 'Derelicts' by Carbon Based Lifeforms but there has been a huge sharpening of the sound with much greater stereo focus and spread. I also suspect that the Spendor's I now use have also just reached the point of being 'run in'. So way happy with the change in sound and the increase in focus of the stereo image. I'll post more info after I have my first big music session.

I'm Mike.

My power amp uses 6 x 12au7's in the front, one went faulty so I chose JJ Gold Pins as replacements, I definitely prefer them to the originals that were in it (Primaluna).

I'm about to replace the main power tubes (EL34) with JJ's when I return from holiday. Hopefully be a worthwhile change too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Yes Mike my power amp also uses six 12AU7's that will be replaced very soon also from Karltone. I toyed with EH and Tungsol but ended with JJ and shall continue to use them. I am also seriously considering JJ EL34's. They don't need replacing as the amp is only two years old but I am so impressed with the other signal valves that I think the times they are a changing

I'm Alex.

I've had JJ KT77's to replace the EL34's in my Radford STA25 III, for a few years now, been excellent.
    Spendorman

montesquieu Guest

Had JJs for a year in my STA25 MkIII (provided by Will at Radford Revival) and delighted by them .. running JJ 12AX7s now in my Gate Audio pre in the study, sounds lovely ... no doubt there are fancy NOS valves out there that are better (if you are lucky and get good ones) but for many applications JJs do the business.

I'm Andrew.

Another +1 for JJs they power my sondeX s100 sound excellent Through my Tannoys
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Shaun.

Another thing I have noticed about the JJ versus the Prima Luna is the quality of the glass. The JJ glass appears of a much higher quality than the original valves giving them a darker, more translucent appearance. In comparison the Prima Luna valves appear more like cheap soda glass even though they can't be. Really looking forward to changing the valves on the power amp.

I'm Justin.

JJ KT88 I really didn't like much had a quad in an 80 Watt power amp.

Easily bettered by NOS Tung Sol 6550 and slaughtered by Tesla Vrsovice KT88.

That said, not bad value and definitely not a poor sound. A bit above average I would say.

The JJ EL84 was/is really good. Not as reliable as Russian versions. Fine sounding though Tom heard 12 of them in my Beard amp.

I'm Shaun.

Good grief, I have just fitted a quad of JJ EL34 II's into the power amp and Jesus Christ, what a difference..! I cannot believe that these valves have brought about such a huge change with about an hour on the clock. A complete loss of the edgy treble artifice that made vocals sound a bit 'industrial' and a massively better sound on electric bass guitar easily portraying the fact that this is a resonating string. The whole thing is now just so bloody natural and, dare I say it, warm..! The new level of realism is so bloody welcome but I haven't used triode mode yet. This is now the EL34 sound I knew and loved from my days with an Audion Sterling ETSE.

I'm Alex.

How about trying JJ KT77? Not a fortune to buy.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast