+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JJ Valves

I'm Shaun.

Alex, I bought a better set of EL34's because I have always been impressed with their midrange realism ever since using the Audion Sterling back in 1997. Although there are a few valves that this amplifier can take I have always preferred the sound of EL34's to any other. I borrowed a quad of KT88's and yes, they did sound impressive but I just prefer my old favourites as their sound is just so good and now that I have replaced the original Prima Luna branded valves the sound is sublime and damn near perfect for me, until of course I hear otherwise.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Good grief, I have just fitted a quad of JJ EL34 II's into the power amp and Jesus Christ, what a difference..! I cannot believe that these valves have brought about such a huge change with about an hour on the clock. A complete loss of the edgy treble artifice that made vocals sound a bit 'industrial' and a massively better sound on electric bass guitar easily portraying the fact that this is a resonating string. The whole thing is now just so bloody natural and, dare I say it, warm..! The new level of realism is so bloody welcome but I haven't used triode mode yet. This is now the EL34 sound I knew and loved from my days with an Audion Sterling ETSE.
    Damn, I've just bought a quad of used JJ el34l's and I'll need to buy 4 more new ones for my Primaluna power amp as it takes 8 all together.

You've got me thinking to just mothball the quad of L's and buy 8 x ii's.

I'm Shaun.

I've been told that the original valves are Chinese but whatever they are, the JJ EL34 II's are a massive step up from them. Through my Spendors the sound is now so intimate and seductive, so different to what it was with the originals. Female voice is bloody stunning but I am not so sure the electronic stuff I worship will be as impressive. Beverley Knight sounds so bloody real and Pink Floyd's The Division Bell is just the same.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Damn, I've just bought a quad of used JJ el34l's and I'll need to buy 4 more new ones for my Primaluna power amp as it takes 8 all together.

You've got me thinking to just mothball the quad of L's and buy 8 x ii's.
    I bought my quad from Karltone at around 65 quid and got next day delivery. Their service is excellent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12