+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

I'm John.

Ahh okay, assumed rp1 had same as early rb arms.
    In that case the change is easier and there is a spacer with multiple height positions which means only one spacer to buy.

I'm Johan.

Forgot to mention that the old Technics carts are rebranded Nagaokas.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    With the Elys-2 you will get better, more secure tracking especially in the inner grooves plus more detail retrieved and greater refinement.

I won't pretend the improvements are night and day, because the Carbon is a very good cartridge but they are there and clearly audible if the system is up to it.
    Bit weird; the second line of your post was only showing when I clicked "reply with quote". Thanks for the points, Dave, and after a few listens, I'm fairly sure I can hear a bit more detail, especially around the mid tones. The bass is not especially strong, other than when I use the 'loudness' button on the Marantz. I would prefer not to use it, but unless the amp is above 60% it doesn't have much punch in the bass.
    Last edited by Valentiaman; 28-08-2018 at 21:12.

I'm steve.

I have to disagree about the tracking performance of the Elys 2, the one I had would not pass band 3 on my HFS test disc and it gave noticeable IGD, both the AT95E and Nag MP110 are far better trackers. Fitting the 3 point fixing spacers is a 5 minute job, another option is to replace the Rega felt mat (3mm thick) with an Origin live mat (1mm) thick, sounds better with the OL mat too, I’ve done both on my Planar 3, OL mat + a 1.5mm spacer gets vta spot on with my ATF7. Using spacers can lead to the counterweight touching the lid when lowered, but as most people know for best sound quality you should remove the lid when playing records.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    another option is to replace the Rega felt mat (3mm thick) with an Origin live mat (1mm) thick, sounds better with the OL mat too, I’ve done both on my Planar 3, OL mat + a 1.5mm spacer gets vta spot on with my ATF7.
    As mentioned elsewhere, I managed to smash up my beloved Dual 505, the other day I've put the mat from it on my Rega Planar 1. Would that work OK, also, would you recommend me getting the glass platter?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    .... but as most people know for best sound quality you should remove the lid when playing records.
    I'd no idea.

I'm steve.

Default Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere, I managed to smash up my Dual 505 the other. I've put the mat from it on my Rega Planar 1. Would that work OK, also, would you recommend me getting the glass platter?

I'd no idea.
    If the rubber mat is thinner than the felt mat it would probably be ok, I’m not sure if it’s worth changing the platter as I’m unsure if the motor is as strong as the motor on the Planar 2 and 3. With regard to cartridge depth Rega cartridges are 14mm deep, most other cartridges are 17-18mm, my ATF7 is 17.6mm according to ATs specs. If you decide on a non Rega cartridge you can decide what to do to get the correct alignment, either by using the appropriate spacer or a combination of spacer and thinner platter mat as I have. I have used the Origin Live mat on 4 different turntables and it gave an improvement on all of them irrespective of platter material, I’ve used it on pressed steel (Debut Carbon), Medite (Project Genie), Aluminium (ATLP120) and Glass (Planar 3).
    It gives better performance than all the other mats I’ve tried, at £40 it’s less expensive than a lot of other mats as well.
    The turntable lid is very prone to picking up airborne vibration which can get back to the stylus and colour the sound, or as a worst case scenario acoustic feedback (fairly unlikely).

I'm Paul.

I wouldn’t write any cartridge off until you have played around with the VTA by either raising/lowering the tonearm, shimming the cartridge or changing platter mats. Like Geoff suggests VTA can mean the life or death of a cartridge.
    ~Paul~

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Ahh okay, assumed rp1 had same as early rb arms.
    In that case the change is easier and there is a spacer with multiple height positions which means only one spacer to buy.
    I had one of the spacers with multiple heights but unfortunately it only gives 2,4,6 or 8mm adjustments, tbh 6&8mm would probably never be needed, 1,1.5,2 and 2.5 would probably be more useful particularly if you go for a thinner mat, I use a single 1.5mm shim.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    but unless the amp is above 60% it doesn't have much punch in the bass.

That's not the cartridge, it's amp and speaker interaction.

Don't spend too much buying mats and platters for the P1 as you will end up in P2 territory. Maybe the retailer can help you by taking the P1 back for a P2.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    That's not the cartridge, it's amp and speaker interaction.

Don't spend too much buying mats and platters for the P1 as you will end up in P2 territory. Maybe the retailer can help you by taking the P1 back for a P2.
    Good idea, or even a P3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast