OK, it's a long story, and some of it is documented in another post in this section of the forum. But, to cut the the chase, I would like some advice, please, on an upgrade stylus I've just added to a new turntable and amp set up.

I bought a Rega Planar 1 recently and a Marantz P5005 amp. I have the Marantz bi-wired to Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers, which are on floor stands with separators between the speakers and the stand platform. I had considered buying the Rega Performance pack, but made a slight detour from that plan. Having smashed my Dual 505, accidentally, I put the rubber mat from it on the Regar Planar 1 and checked the speed with an app on my iPhone (I'm getting 33.39RPM with the mat). Having got the mat and the belt seems to be OK, I decided to go one-up on the cartridge that comes with the Performance pack (Bias 2) and got the Rega Elys 2, today.

The issue is this: How much difference should I hear with this over the Rega (Carbon) stylus that came with the Planar one, with no other change to the set up, as shown above? I'm not sure if I'm hearing much at all, and don't know if the difference should be subtle or hit me between the ears! The Elys has only had about 1 hour's play time so far, and I've heard conflicting views on whether a cartridge needs to be "run in".

I'd welcome your views on if I wasted my money, given the limitations of my set up, and should I have stuck with the Performance Pack and lower grade cartridge.

Stephen