+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

I'm Andrey.

Hello, everyone!

My name is Andrey. Nice to meet you all! I'm new at this forum and this thread is basically the reason, why I'm here. )

The matter is I have the same setup: I purchased Rega Planar 1 and then decided to upgrade it with Elys 2 cartridge, but I've faced a rather annoying problem with pre-set anti-scating on RB110 tonearm. As I read after, it's set to 2g without ajustment ability, which is too much for Elys 2, so, when I've set the recommended 1,75g downforce with counterweight, the cartridge began to slide to the right, which sometimes causes playback problems and, as I can guess, exessive pressure on one side of the groove is also not too good for records. I've read, that people unmounted the magnet which is glued inside the tonarm to fix this problem, but I think it is extreme measure for almost new TT.

Did anyone faced a problem like this ?

Stephen, how did you solve it in your setup ?

Thank you!

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Akod View Post
    Hello, everyone!

My name is Andrey. Nice to meet you all! I'm new at this forum and this thread is basically the reason, why I'm here. )

The matter is I have the same setup: I purchased Rega Planar 1 and then decided to upgrade it with Elys 2 cartridge, but I've faced a rather annoying problem with pre-set anti-scating on RB110 tonearm. As I read after, it's set to 2g without ajustment ability, which is too much for Elys 2, so, when I've set the recommended 1,75g downforce with counterweight, the cartridge began to slide to the right, which sometimes causes playback problems and, as I can guess, exessive pressure on one side of the groove is also not too good for records. I've read, that people unmounted the magnet which is glued inside the tonarm to fix this problem, but I think it is extreme measure for almost new TT.

Did anyone faced a problem like this ?

Stephen, how did you solve it in your setup ?

Thank you!
    I’d be surprised if the slightly lower tracking force of the Elys would cause the arm to skate outwards, my suggestion would be first of all to check the turntable is perfectly level, best done with a level app on a smartphone, and then check the downforce with a digital gauge, Rega do have a habit of having bias set too high, on my Planar 3 I have the bias setting at just under the 1 mark on the arm scale even though my cartridge (ATF7) is a 2 gram tracker, got this optimised with a test record.
    Once you have checked the level and tracking force and made sure your stylus is scrupulously clean if you’re still having the problem I’d get in touch with Rega either direct or via your dealer and advise them of the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andrey.

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

I'm afraid the problem is still there. TT is perfectly balanced. I've put back the native Carbon cart and checked whether will it slide to the right, if I move the counterweight and it also does.

А that is what happens:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q3...Qql27pfdQBWvp0

I also made videos and photos of what happens with Elys 2 in this thread:

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ng-issue/page2

I'm steve.

Here’s a tutorial on how to adjust/alter the “fixed” bias on the Planar 1.
    https://youtu.be/bb8STonWhg4

I'm Martin.

Yes you should have bought a P2 and you really dont want to be going too mad on cartridges.....fit an AT95E a cart thats been recommended for donkeys years
    " Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'.

I'm steve.

Default Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

The P2 has the RB220 arm which still has fixed bias the same as the P1 arm so is constrained on cartridge choice unless you do the mod outlined in the Youtube video. If doing the bias mod isn’t something you want to attempt then the AT95E or the better AT95EX would be suitable, have used both myself in the past, the AT95EX came standard fit on my 2nd tier system turntable the Audio Technica ATLP5 and it’s SQ is very good for the money although I’ve now upgraded it to the Goldring E3. (Have to admit I love the E3’s threaded body, makes it a doddle to fit). As they track at 2g the fixed bias wouldn’t be too far adrift but not ideal. Even with the adjustable bias on my P3 the scale gives excessive bias, with my 2g tracking cartridge (ATF7) I have to use a slightly lower than “1” position on the scale for the correct bias.
    If you do decide to stick with the P1 your next possible upgrade would be the subplatter, I can recommend the one by Fidelity Designs which I’ve had on my P3 for the last 18 months.
    Engineering quality of the subplatter is excellent for the £50 asking price and it also has a taller spindle so you can use a record clamp such as the Michell that I use.
    Last edited by steve-z; 29-07-2019 at 11:38.

I'm rep.

I'd never even consider subplatter, record clamp or other so-called "upgrades" for Rega TT
    Use as is or upgrade to next Rega level, put another stylus on P1/Carbon or go next level P2
    P3 get a Neo PSU and exact.
    Roy/Rega have decades of experience, amateurish changes usually fail succes

Not satisfied with Elys ?
    Go back to dealer and Rega with complaints
    (They will help if you haven't "modded" deck)

I'm steve.

Default Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    I'd never even consider subplatter, record clamp or other so-called "upgrades" for Rega TT
    Use as is or upgrade to next Rega level, put another stylus on P1/Carbon or go next level P2
    P3 get a Neo PSU and exact.
    Roy/Rega have decades of experience, amateurish changes usually fail succes

Not satisfied with Elys ?
    Go back to dealer and Rega with complaints
    (They will help if you haven't "modded" deck)
    Some people can’t afford the big leap in price to move up to the next up Rega turntable, that’s why many people take the upgrade path. As for the PSU route, when I bought my P3 second hand it had the Elys 2 and TTPSU with it, did extensive AB listening tests with and without the TTPSU and could detect no difference in sound quality, as I only own 3 45s keeping it just so I could change speed with a switch didn’t warrant keeping it, likewise speed tested with a strobe showed no difference either, to me it’s just an extra superfluous box and cable taking up space. As to going to the Exact, with the problems a friend of mine had with 2 separate examples of the Exact I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole, he contacted Rega and the issues were not resolved to his satisfaction.
    As to the use of a clamp, I find it very useful as I use a solid acrylic platter mat and in conjunction with a spindle O ring it takes care of the problem of warped/dished records, sound quality is much more to my liking than with the standard wool mat, more focused and taught sounding, of course it’s each to their own.
    Again a personal choice with regard the Elys sound although it was not a great tracker particularly on inner grooves, the Nagaoka MP110 I replaced it with was better sounding and tracked better, the ATF7 MC I now use is even better still albeit at a higher price.

Last edited by steve-z; 13-08-2019 at 16:07.

I'm rep.

If the TTpsu didn't provide any clear reasonable improvements there's obviously something else wrong
    Check your setup, so much could course issues.

I'm sorry to hear you have issues with Rega cartridges.
    I've owned older Elys and Exact which was no succes, later samples are much better, buying new and not satisfied , Rega will help, they are hand build to a degree.

I don't understand why buy Rega if acrylic platter and clamp is wanted.? but its your money

I'm Mike.

I had the Elys on a RP3 once, and thought it considerably better than the bias.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast