+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

I'm Stephen.

Default Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

OK, it's a long story, and some of it is documented in another post in this section of the forum. But, to cut the the chase, I would like some advice, please, on an upgrade stylus I've just added to a new turntable and amp set up.

I bought a Rega Planar 1 recently and a Marantz P5005 amp. I have the Marantz bi-wired to Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers, which are on floor stands with separators between the speakers and the stand platform. I had considered buying the Rega Performance pack, but made a slight detour from that plan. Having smashed my Dual 505, accidentally, I put the rubber mat from it on the Regar Planar 1 and checked the speed with an app on my iPhone (I'm getting 33.39RPM with the mat). Having got the mat and the belt seems to be OK, I decided to go one-up on the cartridge that comes with the Performance pack (Bias 2) and got the Rega Elys 2, today.

The issue is this: How much difference should I hear with this over the Rega (Carbon) stylus that came with the Planar one, with no other change to the set up, as shown above? I'm not sure if I'm hearing much at all, and don't know if the difference should be subtle or hit me between the ears! The Elys has only had about 1 hour's play time so far, and I've heard conflicting views on whether a cartridge needs to be "run in".

I'd welcome your views on if I wasted my money, given the limitations of my set up, and should I have stuck with the Performance Pack and lower grade cartridge.

Stephen

I'm Johan.

Take some time and search for a used Technics cartridge. You can find them on used Technics TT's from the seventies. Get a new stylus from Japan. They will do better than most modern cartridges IMHO.

I'm steve.

Default Rega Elys 2 Cartridge: Upgrade for Planar 1 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    OK, it's a long story, and some of it is documented in another post in this section of the forum. But, to cut the the chase, I would like some advice, please, on an upgrade stylus I've just added to a new turntable and amp set up.

I bought a Rega Planar 1 recently and a Marantz P5005 amp. I have the Marantz bi-wired to Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers, which are on floor stands with separators between the speakers and the stand platform. I had considered buying the Rega Performance pack, but made a slight detour from that plan. Having smashed my Dual 505, accidentally, I put the rubber mat from it on the Regar Planar 1 and checked the speed with an app on my iPhone (I'm getting 33.39RPM with the mat). Having got the mat and the belt seems to be OK, I decided to go one-up on the cartridge that comes with the Performance pack (Bias 2) and got the Rega Elys 2, today.

The issue is this: How much difference should I hear with this over the Rega (Carbon) stylus that came with the Planar one, with no other change to the set up, as shown above? I'm not sure if I'm hearing much at all, and don't know if the difference should be subtle or hit me between the ears! The Elys has only had about 1 hour's play time so far, and I've heard conflicting views on whether a cartridge needs to be "run in".

I'd welcome your views on if I wasted my money, given the limitations of my set up, and should I have stuck with the Performance Pack and lower grade cartridge.

Stephen
    Hi Stephen, 18 months ago I bought a 2016 Planar 3 which came bundled with the Elys 2 cartridge which I used for a couple of weeks. At the time I had a second deck an Audio Technica ATLP120 direct drive fitted with the very cheap AT95E cartridge, comparing the two the Elys seemed rather bland and lifeless imo compared to the AT95E even though the Rega is a better quality deck. Because of this I sold on the Elys and bought a Nagaoka MP110 which completely outclassed the Elys at a slightly lower price, that’s your best bet if you can run to it, if not the AT95E is great for under £30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Bear in mind that Rega cartridges are shallower in the body than most alternatives, so the arm may need raising to adjust for the difference.

I'm Stephen.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, it's all much appreciated.

Steve-Z, I may have an AT95E on my smashed Dual (see my other thread in this section). I'll see if I can get it to fit, but, I'm told I may need spacers to fit non-Rega carts, and I have no clue about that. I also read great things about the Nagaoka MP110 and again, the spacer thing put me off (I wouldn't even know where to uy them or how to fit them).

Kvaal, If I can't try the AT, I'm a bit loath to look for another cart right away, having just spent €150 yesterday on the Elys, but maybe down the road...

Walpurgis Was your advice about fitting the Elys, or a non-Rega cart?

I have to say I bought the Elys having read reviews, some of which claimed he difference between it and the Bias 2 was near-miraculous and as mentioned about I was wary of getting non-Rega carts due to my inexperience with "spacers".
    Last edited by Valentiaman; 28-08-2018 at 16:23.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    Walpurgis Was your advice about fitting the Elys, or a non-Rega cart?
    If you fit a non-Rega cartridge, you may need to raise the arm with a spacer. Fitting a spacer is not difficult.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you fit a non-Rega cartridge, you may need to raise the arm with a spacer. Fitting a spacer is not difficult.
    Thanks again.

I'm Dave.

With the Elys-2 you will get better, more secure tracking especially in the inner grooves plus more detail retrieved and greater refinement.

I won't pretend the improvements are night and day, because the Carbon is a very good cartridge but they are there and clearly audible if the system is up to it.

I'm John.

Spacer kits are available on ebay, I paid £10 for a kit with 2x 2mm & 2x 1mm in it, simply type in Rega tonearm spacers.
    If you change carts and need to fit a spacer to get the arm level, simply undo the large nut under the platter which holds the arm Inplace. Remove the arm & leads from the platter, thread 1 or more spacers onto bottom of arm (so they fit between arm and platter) then re-install arm & nut).
    Your other option would be to get and origin live or michell vta adjuster, (they fit on similar to the spacers) but allow adjustment of arm height by simply turning it on the screw thread.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Spacer kits are available on ebay, I paid £10 for a kit with 2x 2mm & 2x 1mm in it, simply type in Rega tonearm spacers.
    If you change carts and need to fit a spacer to get the arm level, simply undo the large nut under the platter which holds the arm Inplace. Remove the arm & leads from the platter, thread 1 or more spacers onto bottom of arm (so they fit between arm and platter) then re-install arm & nut).
    Your other option would be to get and origin live or michell vta adjuster, (they fit on similar to the spacers) but allow adjustment of arm height by simply turning it on the screw thread.
    There is no "large nut", it is a 3 screw fix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast