View Poll Results: Should we keep separate traders’ rooms, or go back to a single trade sub-forum?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep things as they are, with separate traders’ rooms

17 60.71%
  • Have a single trade sub-forum where all posts are displayed in date order

11 39.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we lose the Sub-Forums in Trade Impressions?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thanks for your feedback so far, chaps. We're always willing to listen to the views of our members, traders included.

However, much like the vote we took recently on politics, there will have to be a clear majority, one way of the other, for change to take place. It wouldn't be fair otherwise. And so far, among those who've voted, the poll results are neck and neck.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Trade posts on PFM remain clearly visible for a reasonable length of time. For instance, in PFM's trade announcements section, today there are posts dating back nearly a fortnight, clearly visible on Page 1; however here on AoS someone has to make a deliberate effort to go to an individual trade room to see what's in there.
    But you still have to click on 'Trade Announcements', in order to view the posts in question. They don't appear automatically. Essentially the same thing happens here, when you click on 'Trade Impressions', and a list of all recent posts from the traders listed, appears accordingly, which folks can then flick through.

However, the difference is, rather than wade through 100s of ads from different manufacturers, you can select only those from traders you're interested in. I suppose it depends on how you look at it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robin.

I usually have a look through the Trade section, there are around 20 traders who have not posted for about 2 years, if they were removed it would be an improvement.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

Yup, I plan to do a clear up, so in that respect, worry not

Marco.
    Main System

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

I like having seperate trade rooms. I can easily look at specific companies and see what they are doing rather than wade through loads of posts that don't interest me.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    I like having seperate trade rooms. I can easily look at specific companies and see what they are doing rather than wade through loads of posts that don't interest me.
    I agree.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    But you still have to click on 'Trade Announcements', in order to view the posts in question. They don't appear automatically. Essentially the same thing happens here, when you click on 'Trade Impressions', and a list of all recent posts from the traders listed, appears accordingly, which folks can then flick through.

However, the difference is, rather than wade through 100s of ads from different manufacturers, you can select only those from traders you're interested in. I suppose it depends on how you look at it

Marco.
    Exactly so. I wasn't keen when you first announced it but am now converted. It works well.

With the current layout, it is so easy to scroll down the page to individual traders and view their posts, old and new. With the PFM system, posts are very quickly lost. During the busy Autumn and Winter months, some of my posts have lasted less than a day on the first page. With AOS they are there until I decide to post something new.

I'm Tony.

Having separate rooms works well here no problem, though as stated a few traders have not posted for a while (Trade subscription lapsed possibly?) in which case removal.

There are a few traders who set up daily updates if that works for them then fine, most do not. A few do this to keep their goods at the top of the tree, most people can work this out for themselves imho.

TAS is the best place to advertise your trade wares as it is very easy for all to see.

If it isn't broke do not fix it!

The traders sections are clear and concise, you know who is selling and what easily.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm David.

I think the sub forum for each advertiser is the best way to do it, and I’ve recommended that to other forums in the past too. At least this way, it’s easy to go to an advertiser you follow - if it’s a free for all, the threads will get lost amongst the numerous threads posted by those who just want to be seen. It also then becomes rife for thread bumping and spamming purely to keep a thread at the top of the page. This thread bumping adds nothing new to the thread, and is sometimes achieved by just repeating the previous post.

If it does become a free for all, I’d reconsider posting on this forum, as I’ve seen the spam-fests that result on other forums. It gets very annoying when you post something up in the morning, and by tea time you’re on page two because of the thread bumpers trying to keep themselves relevant. It’s a minority, but it happens.
    avid hifi | audiomica | amphion | anthem | audioquest | ascendo | bel canto | bluesound | caas audio | eggleston works | exposure | hegel | isoacoustics | innuos | kef audio | larsen | lumin | merason | moonriver | nagaoka | ophidian | primare | perlisten | paradigm | svs | spectral furniture | silent angel

www.thelittleaudio.company 0753 888 1969 / 0121 638 0721

I'm Surayne.

I'd prefer a single section as finding listings in the sub-forums is tedious. Perhaps there could be sub-forums for trade news and blogs rather than sale listings?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast