+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    )

Which system and/or instance are you referring to above? Sorry, but it's not clear.

The phono stage bake off we did at Penkridge a couple of months back. My speakers and power amp, Firebottle KIN pre amp. Big hall, bigger than a basketball court. I walked in and thought 50 watts? No chance. But it was more than adequate.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah, I get you now. Sure, I don't doubt it. That won't necessarily be the case though with another 50W amp, which employs a different type of topology

My experience of solid-state Class A amps, done well, is a bit like it is with good valve amps, in that their loudness capabilities belie the power (on paper) they're rated at, and so sound rather louder/more powerful than you'd expect

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I reckon it is to do with the current delivery, as I said earlier on. Not the watts. Going from 100 watts to 200 wats is only 3dB louder which is noticeable but not a lot. Then you're up to 400 watts just to get another 3 dB and after that it starts getting silly. But if you're caning it and the power supply starts to sag that's when you hear it start to fall apart.

Just had a listen to another 'Class A', a Monarchy amp that used to belong to Geoff. A very good amplifier, goes on my approved list.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I reckon it is to do with the current delivery, as I said earlier on. Not the watts. Going from 100 watts to 200 wats is only 3dB louder which is noticeable but not a lot. Then you're up to 400 watts just to get another 3 dB and after that it starts getting silly. But if you're caning it and the power supply starts to sag that's when you hear it start to fall apart.

Just had a listen to another 'Class A', a Monarchy amp that used to belong to Geoff. A very good amplifier, goes on my approved list.
    The Monarchy is a class act. Back up and running here and sounding superb.

A bit of ZZ Top

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

A bit of ZZ Top

IIRC it should play absolutely perfect that LP, there's not a mark on it.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Needs a clean mate, few clicks and pops lol
    IIRC it should play absolutely perfect that LP, there's not a mark on it.

I'm Martin.

It has had a proper clean on my Moth but that was a few years back so I guess it's picked up a few bits again.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

It has had a proper clean on my Moth but that was a few years back so I guess it's picked up a few bits again.
    Nothing major, just a few bits but defo needs a clean. no scratches though and the SQ is excellent. I just couldn't give up Vinyl.

Listening to it again now, i love it!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I reckon it is to do with the current delivery, as I said earlier on.

Yes, that's undoubtedly a big part of it. I also rate the Monarchy. As I said earlier, I think you'll find that Class A amps, done well, will take some beating

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Its here!!!!

It's also a MK2!!

Good grief it's heavy.

Got some paint on, missing some feet but nothing untoward about the sound at the demo. Looking forward to getting this plugged in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast