+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

Bigman80 Guest

I'm not sure if it is yet lol. We'll have to see when it's done!

Only place I found them in the UK was Hificollective. I didn't look very hard so there may be other stockists.

Got yours yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by RHW View Post
    Great idea, wheee are you buying from ?

I'm Simon.

I tend to judge caps by the specs, those old roes will have been high on esr so if in the signal path acting like a filter. Its gets warm in there so I'd have gone for 105 degree caps, probably fm or fc from Panasonic. When I redid my 200 and 7b pre I used fc everywhere. Made no difference in the pre, big difference in the 200.

Are those caps I the new AN caps with the powdered graphite filler? If so they should like the BGs, they've been trying to make them for years.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I tend to judge caps by the specs, those old roes will have been high on esr so if in the signal path acting like a filter. Its gets warm in there so I'd have gone for 105 degree caps, probably fm or fc from Panasonic. When I redid my 200 and 7b pre I used fc everywhere. Made no difference in the pre, big difference in the 200.

Are those caps I the new AN caps with the powdered graphite filler? If so they should like the BGs, they've been trying to make them for years.
    They haven't managed to replicate the Black Gate. They are still working on it.

Here's the gumf

"The Audio Note KAISEI range have been developed over the past 4 years with the engineering team at Rubycon (of Black Gate fame). They are based on the same materials with the only difference being the paper used is not impregnated with graphite particles. Otherwise the KAISEI capacitors use the same special electrolyte.
    These Black Gate replacements are incredibly close in performance to the highly regarded WKz range. There aren`t any other capacitors that come close. Audio Note`s higher Level Three products, the Silver and Silver Signature models will have the KAISEI electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.

The same foil and paper and construction quality as will be found in the forthcoming Audio Note Black Gate replacements which should start coming through in the near future."

Not sure why they can't manage to replicate them But i would suggest after 4 years of trying they must be getting nearer.

I didn't find any information on the heat tolerance. The Panasonic caps I bought were 105c rated but that information doesn't appear to be available for the Kaisei.. I've presumed they must all be 105C....could be a costly presumsion.

I'm Simon.

if in doubt they're 85's
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    if in doubt they're 85's
    That's should be sufficient. It doesn't get THAT hot in there. I may measure it if I can find a way.

I'm Neil.

Default Krell KSA-100 MK2

I think the difficulty is getting the graphite impregnated paper right, which incidentally is what really makes a Black Gate a Black Gate.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I think the difficulty is getting the graphite impregnated paper right, which incidentally is what really makes a Black Gate a Black Gate.
    That does appear to be the bugbear. Hopefully they get it right.

Bigman80 Guest

85c

Bigman80 Guest

Today's little task was to remove the recently installed Panasonic caps and replace them with something of sufficient quality. Enter the AN Kaisei caps.

The initial impression upon a quick listen is that resolution has improved massively and the natural sound that had been slightly lost is back with a vengeance!!! I'll give them a week and then listen critically but I already know it's an improvement.

£36 for four. BARGAIN!!

A few pics:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Is there a screw missing from one of those crimped terminals?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast