+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    From an enjoyment and musical point of view, this amp is an absolute joy to listen to and I love it.*

This amp will be with me for some considerable time.
    All good then.

Better put it in your signature .

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    All good then.

Better put it in your signature .
    Yes mate, I'm absolutely delighted. Next move is for a Ortofon Winfield just to put the final piece of the puzzle together.

That is if I still have employment in a few weeks lol

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

I have now heard this fabulous amp in Oli's system. Everything he says is true.
    To sum up the experience of this amp in one word is - effortless.

Default Glad you like it Oli

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have now heard this fabulous amp in Oli's system. Everything he says is true.
    To sum up the experience of this amp in one word is - effortless.
    Great news you like it Oli, after all the negativity on this thread you could easily have been persuaded not to come and listen. Just proves the point that you should only trust your own ears and try stuff where you can in your own system

Missing the krell but the cj350 is a couple of hundred more watts and rather lovely so there is an upgrade path (although hard to find) if you ever get bored of looking at the krell on the floor

Looks much nicer now you have cleaned and polished it up btw - great job

Cheers
    Darren

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenw View Post
    Great news you like it Oli, after all the negativity on this thread you could easily have been persuaded not to come and listen. Just proves the point that you should only trust your own ears and try stuff where you can in your own system

Missing the krell but the cj350 is a couple of hundred more watts and rather lovely so there is an upgrade path (although hard to find) if you ever get bored of looking at the krell on the floor

Looks much nicer now you have cleaned and polished it up btw - great job

Cheers
    Darren
    Hi Darren!

Good to see you on AoS.

My only regret is not asking for a listen to your Conrad Johnson 350 when I was fetching the Krell. I have to say, your JBL speakers made a lasting impression too. Wonderful things.

In all honesty, I don't need any extra watts but if I do, I'll pop round for a listen to the CJ350!! Though, it's unlikely I'll survive the wife if I spent that kind of money

You're welcome to pop in and visit the Krell mate, just awaiting the feet to arrive from China and I need to build some long enough cables to site it in its long term home.

The negativity was a surprise. Krell seem to be well thought of in the States yet here the response was rather cold. I completely agree that the only way to know is to get something and give it a go at home. Yes, you may go through a lot of gear but once you get the right piece it's very rewarding.

BTW Darren has a system that sounds incredible but looks stunning. Plenty of valves and fine finished woodworking. It's well deserving of some pictures in "the gallery" hint hint

I'm James.

Hi Oli,

I thought I wouldn't comment until you have had some time with the Krell and it is great it has worked out for you after a whirlwind of amplification evaluation. I think the sound you describe is all the best attributes of classic Class A which is why it is often acknowledged as the way to go with power amplification. I read all the negative posts on this thread and it is typical of folk wanting to spout armchair audiophile theories.

The Krell amps were always up there back in the 80's along with Conrad Johnson and ARC although I ultimately preferred the big valve power amps then, today I am not so sure as I have heard some beautiful big powerful SS amps in particular those built by Sim Audio. Having huge reserves of effortless power makes for relaxing listening I feel but this is not always the case as I have also recently heard some amps that have all these qualities but sound too aggressive and fatiguing. So it is certainly a matter of choosing your weapon as it were.

When you have the Windfeld strapped in I will have to pop round and have a listen
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Oli,

I thought I wouldn't comment until you have had some time with the Krell and it is great it has worked out for you after a whirlwind of amplification evaluation. I think the sound you describe is all the best attributes of classic Class A which is why it is often acknowledged as the way to go with power amplification. I read all the negative posts on this thread and it is typical of folk wanting to spout armchair audiophile theories.

The Krell amps were always up there back in the 80's along with Conrad Johnson and ARC although I ultimately preferred the big valve power amps then, today I am not so sure as I have heard some beautiful big powerful SS amps in particular those built by Sim Audio. Having huge reserves of effortless power makes for relaxing listening I feel but this is not always the case as I have also recently heard some amps that have all these qualities but sound too aggressive and fatiguing. So it is certainly a matter of choosing your weapon as it were.

When you have the Windfeld strapped in I will have to pop round and have a listen
    Hi Jim,

I'll be the first to admit I've may have sometimes rushed to a judgement only to be found incorrect. Usually it's when something is good but then I start noticing problems.

With this, I was determined to wait until I had heard everything I was going to hear from it. Yesterday, it had Alan's Bel Canto DAC and Beresford Caiman through it too so I have given it all the tests it's going to get here. I'll make a note on the DACs in a day or two.

The truth is, the Krell is just ticks all of my boxes and as you said, I've chosen my weapon and it's here to stay.

It was a bit of a frantic amplifier assesment but sometimes you just "Know" when something lands. Like a boxer who lands that perfect hook, or the golfer who hits the sweet spot. You just know it's the one. The other amps are all completely capable and will make the new owners very happy. I say that with certainty because they are top quality but the Krell is a step out. It's the realism and natural presentation that does it. No amp ive had hits as hard, is as delicate or can produce nuance in the same way as the Krell or as well as.

You're welcome anytime mate. Just need some good news at work and for the Winfield to still be available

I'm James.

As you know mate I trust your judgement on all things audio as I know you have golden ears so I don't doubt anything you have written. It was good to have a range of amps to do comparisons with as this helps determine where you want to go.

Realism is everything!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    As you know mate I trust your judgement on all things audio as I know you have golden ears so I don't doubt anything you have written. It was good to have a range of amps to do comparisons with as this helps determine where you want to go.

Realism is everything!
    You don't need golden ears with this thing mate. It's very obvious how good it is.

On a side note I now have four new capacitors on the way to replace the 1000uf/16v bakelite(?) Caps Si suggested replacing. Alan had a quick look and noticed on with a domed top so they will be out soon.

It's also going to get a health check when thats done.

Alan can add "Krell" to the long list of gear he's taken apart

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Alan can add "Krell" to the long list of gear he's taken apart
    I've taken a lot of gear apart..........but not necessarily got it back together!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast