+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Damping factor isn't a function of power output per se. If the Krells have a high damping factor it isn't because they're high powered and doesn't mean that other high powered amps would be unsuitable.
    I never said it had anything to do with power output ... the consensus is that it has to do with damping factor / output impedance.

HOWEVER having said that a lot of high-powered solid state amps seem to feature a very high damping factor. I've found the Pass designs to be an exception and I've also found these to work pretty well with Tannoys. (As it happens that's what I'm using in the study). With many valve amps you have the opposite of course = floppy bass.

I'm Gary.

Screw this, go for it Oli......if it's your itch, only you can scratch it.

Other people's views are kinda irrelevant although you asked for it.

After all you can always pass them on if your not happy.

Go for it!

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Screw this, go for it Oli......if it's your itch, only you can scratch it.

Other people's views are kinda irrelevant although you asked for it.

After all you can always pass them on if your not happy.

Go for it!

Gary
    My sentiment exactly
    But i guess i said a little too much for some

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Everybody is entitled to express a view Steve. It doesn't have to be well informed or even right.

With one exception, nothing has been said that might be construed as impolite. It wouldn't be good if members feared contributing in case they may be pounced on for being wrong. There is however nothing wrong with pointing out a misconception in a helpful way.
    Hi Geoff

I never said anyone was being impolite i said some of the comments were ludicrous
    If I've offended anyone i will apologise here and now
    We all have the right to form an opinion right or wrong, that's all i did.

Regards steve..
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Martin.

Tom - I'm wondering if this theory about Tannoy drivers needing a damping factor of between 20 and 50 supported anywhere else or is it just an assumption?

Asking because I have some 15'' HPD drivers that I intend to use with a Krell.

Have to admit that it sounds very unlikely to me, but if you can provide some sort of reference to this so I can look into it further I'd appreciate it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Oli please don't feel insulted by what I'm going to say. I think your original question whilst valid is also pointless, sorry. I don't think anyone can honestly answer your question. I honestly think it's just a case of buying the amp and seeing if it gels in your system. If you have no luck, then at least you've had the pleasure of owning a piece of hifi history, alternatively you may have a good amp for many years to come. I'd just buy it if I were you.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Tom - I'm wondering if this theory about Tannoy drivers needing a damping factor of between 20 and 50 supported anywhere else or is it just an assumption?

Asking because I have some 15'' HPD drivers that I intend to use with a Krell.

Have to admit that it sounds very unlikely to me, but if you can provide some sort of reference to this so I can look into it further I'd appreciate it.
    I think it was first articulated by Coco over on the Wam a long time ago, but quite a number of people subscribe to it as a broad principle/rule of thumb including Paul Coupe.

It's certainly been my experience and I have tried more than 30 amps (thinking about it probably closer to 40) of all flavours with 12 and 15in Golds and 12 and 15in HPDs over the last decade and a bit. While Krells and their high-power SS emulators frequently disappointed, the solid state Pass and Pass-clone amps I tried all worked well - even single ended - sure enough these have a modest damping factor - same with a 100w Mitsubishi solid state amp from the 80s, damping factor of 20 and very nice with Tannoys. By contrast every single ended valve amp I've tried has disappointed, as have some push pull valve amps with high output impedances/very low damping in low single figures (300b amps in particular I've found can be guilty in that respect, though not all of them) - floppy and disappointing. Meanwhile amps that in some ways can tend to lack a little in resolution or air, but have specs in the right range for Tannoys - Quad solid state power amps for example - can sound very nice indeed.

What kind of reference do you need other than extensive experience? What I've found is that I can 100% accurately predict the performance of an amp with Tannoys based on its specs. If people want to listen and shortcut the process, that's great, if they don't that's fine too.

My view of course comes precisely from having a lot of amps through the door over many years. The last thing I'd say to anyone with Tannoys is that they shouldn't give it a go, but I'd also recommend comparison to an amp withing the specs suggested after they've got a handle on the sound, and see what they think then. I'd also add that I don't think my Tannoy experience can be necessarily extrapolated to any other variety of speaker - Tannoys are peculiar in lots of ways.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

What kind of reference do you need other than extensive experience?

Well I was hoping for some sort of technical reference/explanation. I'm not saying you are wrong and in due course I guess I will find out anyway. It's just that there are lots of reasons why an amp might not 'gel' with some speakers* and I am wary of people coming up with technical explanations for their subjective impressions as they are often wide of the mark. I'm also aware that some EEs reckon that once the damping factor is above 20 it is no longer a factor in sound quality.

* this would also be a matter of personal taste as regards to the presentation. One thing I have learned from experience is that people prefer widely different presentations. One man's clean and neutral is another man's cold and uninviting, if you know what I mean?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well I was hoping for some sort of technical reference/explanation. I'm not saying you are wrong and in due course I guess I will find out anyway. It's just that there are lots of reasons why an amp might not 'gel' with some speakers* and I am wary of people coming up with technical explanations for their subjective impressions as they are often wide of the mark. I'm also aware that some EEs reckon that once the damping factor is above 20 it is no longer a factor in sound quality.

* this would also be a matter of personal taste as regards to the presentation. One thing I have learned from experience is that people prefer widely different presentations. One man's clean and neutral is another man's cold and uninviting, if you know what I mean?
    Well I guess it's possible to like a detailed but lifeless presentation, or indeed woolly bass at the other extreme ...

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Can I ask what was good about the Beard?

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    The grip the amp has on speakers for a start. But the shear musicality and presentation. Very smooth but powerful and easy on the ear. Rounded and deep soundstage. Handle any genre of music.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast