+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

Bigman80 Guest

I have got some advice from a very trusted source who has advised me to leave it.

Concerns about the heat and the effect it has on the components is the major concern.

Also a concern is the sheer size of the thing which I am already aware will be very difficult to fit in my room.

Usually the purchase would have already been made if I truly fancied it so based on all of the above I've decided to leave it.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have got some advice from a very trusted source who has advised me to leave it.

Concerns about the heat and the effect it has on the components is the major concern.
    That's absolutely no concern, if that's what your trusted source told you then don't take any more hi-fi advice off them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's absolutely no concern, if that's what your trusted source told you then don't take any more hi-fi advice off them.
    I agree WRT to heat. It just isn't an issue for a Krell, save for changing the caps every decade or so (maybe). I had a Krell KRC-3 pre that ran hotter than most power amps, but had no power switch, just an internal relay when the cable was plugged in. If you're scared of heat, just don't use high bias / Class A. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dave.

The Krells are made to dissipate the heat and suffer no more than any other amp in this respect. They are built to last. As to repairs, they are not difficult to do.

The noise levels are low and so using a KSA100 into efficient speakers is not a problem - that's what the volume control is for.

A s/hand Krell is good value and can easily be sold on as there are many who would love to own one.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Macca, you know we're cool but there is logic that the heat will affect the components over time.

His advice was that due to the unknown history and the fact it's not been serviced since new (as far as we know) itmeans the heat must be having an effect on the components by now and could require a thorough service which could get quite pricey.

That's something that has been said here too.

I'm jamie.

well we can all shout buy it! trouble is its very easy to spend other peoples money,when its your own those little doubts play an important part in the thinking.
    i nearly spent a grand on a yamaha B1 amp,i thought long and hard and in the end its age and obsolete components put me off. i made the right choice in getting the john wood amp.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Krells are made to dissipate the heat and suffer no more than any other amp in this respect. They are built to last. As to repairs, they are not difficult to do.

The noise levels are low and so using a KSA100 into efficient speakers is not a problem - that's what the volume control is for.

A s/hand Krell is good value and can easily be sold on as there are many who would love to own one.
    Hifi dave,

You have tipped the scales back to interested again.

I'm not "scared of the heat" I'm scared of the bill that could come.

I'm Geoff.

Think positively. Winter is coming and it will keep the room warm.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    well we can all shout buy it! trouble is its very easy to spend other peoples money,when its your own those little doubts play an important part in the thinking.
    i nearly spent a grand on a yamaha B1 amp,i thought long and hard and in the end its age and obsolete components put me off. i made the right choice in getting the john wood amp.
    I told you not to buy the B1 lol

Too true though, it's very easy when it's not your money and we are all guilty of that. All I'm looking for is someone to say basically whether the heat affects the components, whether it's worth the money, whether it's going to blow up frequently and if the speakers will have an adverse reaction to its introduction.

The sound will speak for itself eventually and after hearing Macca's it's been on my mind to go the Class A route.

I dipped my toes with the Monarchy Audio SM-70 and love what it does. Is bigger better????

I'm Tony.

The heat is not so much an issue unless you have medium/small room the electric bill makes for interesting reading at the end of the month.

The last pair of Class 'a' amplifiers I used; did cause the green lobby some issues though! my electric bill went up to over £400 that month, mind you they idled at over 3Kw each

Understand the itch, maybe some one on the forum maybe able to let you use your speakers on their model before purchasing.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast