+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have heard one way back as it was certainly a big contender in the solid state amps when it came out. Although it is massive and certainly solid state in sound the two things I remember were that it did not sound harsh but had a rather delicate top end and had superb bass control, way better than most valve amps..

I would imagine there are plenty of solid state power amps out there now that equal the Krell for sound quality and better its dynamic ability. I certainly know of a few but they are expensive. The Krell may turn out expensive if things don't go well.

Do you need a power amp this big to drive your speakers?
    Certainly not Jim!!!

My speakers are 98db sensitivity if I recall.

I really liked what Macca's did at the Bakeoff and this one is available at sensible money. Do I NEED it? No, the Monarchy Audio SM-70 is killing it here. Do I WANT it? Not sure. The effort to get it to even fit in the room is almost as big as the amp and a few good points have been raised over its usage over the years with all that heat have hit home.

I think I'll leave it and keep looking for another SM-70.

thanks all.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

With 98db speakers, you'd probably get away with a three watt SET mate. 2A3 could be nice.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    With 98db speakers, you'd probably get away with a three watt SET mate. 2A3 could be nice.
    I know I don't need a lot of power. I just caught a bit of curiosity after the bakeoff.

I need another SM-70

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    30W of Class A more than enough. I think the KSA-100 would be a mismatch with 98db speakers.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Bigman80 Guest

You could be right actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    30W of Class A more than enough. I think the KSA-100 would be a mismatch with 98db speakers.

I'm Martin.

Almost all of that advice was terrible.

1) if it goes wrong it won't cost any more to fix than any other amp
    2) It's designed to run hot
    2) it won't run hot into very efficient speakers in any case
    4) It doesn't matter how sensitive the speakers are, it won't be a 'mismatch'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Years ago when discussing cars there was a saying that went "There's no substitute for cubes". I also think that there's no substitute for power. I absolutely love the slam and grip of big amps. Yes I know it is only loosely connected with power but these big SOAB amplifiers just grip the speakers to near death. Love that grip so much. Buy it..! Regret later; much later

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Almost all of that advice was terrible.

1) if it goes wrong it won't cost any more to fix than any other amp
    2) It's designed to run hot
    2) it won't run hot into very efficient speakers in any case
    4) It doesn't matter how sensitive the speakers are, it won't be a 'mismatch'
    I could be wrong (it happens), but don't class A amps run hot all the time?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I could be wrong (it happens), but don't class A amps run hot all the time?
    Yes.

I'm James.

The Krell runs in a slightly different class A set up to the classic notion of class A. It uses Sustained Plateau Bias which means it does not run as hot as a typical Class A amp.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast