+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

I'm jp.

Nice read ;-)
    I bought a Krell KSA-50 Mk1 around 10 years ago and it's still here despite it trying to BBQ 2 pairs of speakers when the OP transistors went short-circuit!

With the right speakers it really is a top class amp but with the wrong speakers it can sound quite lethargic and boring. Strangely I found it didn't suit Apogees well! Works wonders with NS1000M where the lack of harshness & grain is really noticeable.

I had mine repaired and a minor refurb by Henry Dulat? who fitted some Elna caps in the position you have the ANs, big improvement.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
    Nice read ;-)
    I bought a Krell KSA-50 Mk1 around 10 years ago and it's still here despite it trying to BBQ 2 pairs of speakers when the OP transistors went short-circuit!

With the right speakers it really is a top class amp but with the wrong speakers it can sound quite lethargic and boring. Strangely I found it didn't suit Apogees well! Works wonders with NS1000M where the lack of harshness & grain is really noticeable.

I had mine repaired and a minor refurb by Henry Dulat? who fitted some Elna caps in the position you have the ANs, big improvement.
    Cheers!

Yes, the cap replacement was not a subtle improvement in the end. It made a very significant difference. I was chatting with Jozua yesterday and he suggested a replacement of the OP caps too so I think I need to consider that too

The next upgrade for me will be replacing the wiring in the signal path. I don't know what they used but it doesn't inspire me with confidence. Also, I like cables

I'm Russell.

I haven’t been on in a while, and have enjoyed reading up on this thread. Your review of the sound and why you love it so much, I have to concur with everything you’ve said, about my Krell. Mine is I’m sure some difference, it’s a 300, but has that sliding bias design. So, it starts as a 100 watt amp, and only has 3 plateaus, so I’ve really got to be cranking to shift into 2nd! I’ve monitored it with my laser thermometer pistol, and mine runs 90 to 105 degrees F. So that’s not half of 105 C is it?

I’ve been around stereo since I was 13, and had 5 or 6 full systems in my days. And once I put the Krell in, it’s like all the other amps I’ve ever used were just toys. It is truly a high end piece of equipment. I was hesitant to spend so much on a used, and possibly 15 year old amp. I agonized over the purchase for weeks! But, I finally talked myself into pulling the trigger and spending the money. And now, the money seems so very unimportant. I have rarely been as pleased with any purchase.

So it’s nice to read that someone else feels the same way, it’s not just hype, these amps really are something special.

Russell

I'm Jozua.

I had the Ksa200s at one stage. Very clean and somewhat clinical to my ears. The KSA300s was the best of the sliding bias series.

With the bias led's one could see how even soft music sometimes causes a massive spikes in the bias indicators.

It made me wonder how the typical low powered amplifiers cope under dynamic load ?

I'm Russell.

My amp is the FPB-300, which I believe stands for, “Fecking Peanut Butter”, but I’m not sure.

Russell

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    My amp is the FPB-300, which I believe stands for, “Fecking Peanut Butter”, but I’m not sure.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334