+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    The grip the amp has on speakers for a start. But the shear musicality and presentation. Very smooth but powerful and easy on the ear. Rounded and deep soundstage. Handle any genre of music.
    Yes any Beard amps I've heard have been very good. (With Tannoys too ). Justin brought round one with six EL84s per channel, which was superb with HPDs.

All getting a bit old now but of course can be fixed up.

Bigman80 Guest

Well, that's just confusing things further lol

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Glad I didn't ask on here before I got mine. I fancied it so I just bought it.

Seems to be some quite bizarre prejudices against Krell/ American muscle amps. Legacy of the UK flat earth brainwashing maybe? An amplifier should be able to deliver watts and current, if it can't it isn't actually very good. Of course it is expensive to make an amp like that, it eats into the profits, so instead let's tell everyone that there is something magical about low powered amps with saggy power supplies.
    Hi Martin

I have no prejudice at all towards American muscle amps. In fact having borrowed Audio Research and Mark Levinson amps in the past I can see why people like them. My personal experience with Krell may well be in the minority here. But I stick by my previous comments. As I said, all subjective.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Yes any Beard amps I've heard have been very good. (With Tannoys too ). Justin brought round one with six EL84s per channel, which was superb with HPDs.

All getting a bit old now but of course can be fixed up.
    That would have been the P35. Tonally quite similar to the Leak Stereo 20 (EL84 as well), but more powerful.

I'm Grant.

Only heard 1 beard but it was nice. Would have had one in a shot had the opportunity arisen
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Screw this, go for it Oli......if it's your itch, only you can scratch it.

Other people's views are kinda irrelevant although you asked for it.

After all you can always pass them on if your not happy.

Go for it!

Gary
    Yes, I agree. Or even get it home on sale or return.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Yes, I agree. Or even get it home on sale or return.
    Private sale so no can do. "Shit or bust" im afraid.

I have requested a visit to go and have a listen. I may even take my speakers if it's possible. Seems the only logical step to seeing what it's like to a degree.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Screw this, go for it Oli......if it's your itch, only you can scratch it.

Other people's views are kinda irrelevant although you asked for it.

After all you can always pass them on if your not happy.

Go for it!

Gary
    Gary,

The price is a bit high for me to go "gung ho" so I need to keep a modicum of caution.

However, I do usually just pull the trigger lol

I'm Russell.

I myself am a big Krell fan! I owned a large set of speakers and I tried several somewhat powerful amps, but somehow it just wasn’t there, I couldn’t get them to take off. But my Krell amp (FPB-300) woke them right up! A smooth, rich sound, strong bass with real slam. Maybe not for everyone? But it single handedly brought my system to the next level! Are there other amps I could have been happy with? I’m sure. I almost bought a big Classe’ 400 watt amp I’m sure would have given similar results, it too a huge Class A monster.

Yes they can require a re-cap at a certain age, but it’s not like that often, every 20 years maybe. My amp is over 20 years old and shows no sign of needing repairs. I suspect it didn’t see heavy use in its life. I paid $2k for a $9K amp, when new, so if I have to cough up another $2K over the next 10 years, I don’t really have a problem with that. Then it’ll be ready to last another 20 plus years.

I say buy it! You might just love it. If not, resell and get your money back. You may regret not giving it a shot! That particular model is well respected and many good things said about it. I was hesitant, not sure about spending the money, but now I wish I had done it 10 years ago! No regrets.

Russell

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks Russell.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I myself am a big Krell fan! I owned a large set of speakers and I tried several somewhat powerful amps, but somehow it just wasn’t there, I couldn’t get them to take off. But my Krell amp (FPB-300) woke them right up! A smooth, rich sound, strong bass with real slam. Maybe not for everyone? But it single handedly brought my system to the next level! Are there other amps I could have been happy with? I’m sure. I almost bought a big Classe’ 400 watt amp I’m sure would have given similar results, it too a huge Class A monster.

Yes they can require a re-cap at a certain age, but it’s not like that often, every 20 years maybe. My amp is over 20 years old and shows no sign of needing repairs. I suspect it didn’t see heavy use in its life. I paid $2k for a $9K amp, when new, so if I have to cough up another $2K over the next 10 years, I don’t really have a problem with that. Then it’ll be ready to last another 20 plus years.

I say buy it! You might just love it. If not, resell and get your money back. You may regret not giving it a shot! That particular model is well respected and many good things said about it. I was hesitant, not sure about spending the money, but now I wish I had done it 10 years ago! No regrets.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast