+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Well maybe in 10 years time …
    By then they should have found a way to negatively dope the CVD diamond , only positive doping had same results so far
    In the mean time Silicon carbide transistors are at the top of my shopping list
    https://hometheaterreview.com/first-...fier-reviewed/
    “Positive Doping”, always makes my rig sound better!

Russell

I'm Steve.

All starting to sound complicated.

I'm Chris.

Bit late, but
    alternative....
    Hafler DH 200, or 220, which can be easily recapped/upgraded, and sound lovely.
    Chris.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Bit late, but
    alternative....
    Hafler DH 200, or 220, which can be easily recapped/upgraded, and sound lovely.
    Agreed. David Hafler (of Dynaco fame) knew what he was doing. A bit of a sleeper.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed. David Hafler (of Dynaco fame) knew what he was doing. A bit of a sleeper.
    Ken Rockwell has an opinion on these. Sure I read that ages ago. Seem to be pretty good.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I've had a couple of the Hafler power amps. Nice enough, but not nice enough for me to want to keep.

Bigman80 Guest

You had a Krell Geoff?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've had a couple of the Hafler power amps. Nice enough, but not nice enough for me to want to keep.
    I would hesitate to put these up against a Krell 'as is', but with a complete recap with modern capacitors, the comparison could be interesting. As I said, they are a bit of a sleeper so at the moment can be picked up for a reasonable sum. But that could all change.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You had a Krell Geoff?
    Nope.

Bigman80 Guest

The Krell has been here for just under a month so I thought I'd offer a bit of opinion on it.*

First off, I think it's absolutely pertinent to declare my admiration for this unit. My opinion is going to be completely biased and i make no apologies for that.*

Sound Quality,

There's absolutely no telling me that this unit isn't top class. I don't know if I can overstate how pleased and impressed I am with what it does. It has the ability to present the music in such a natural way. Organic and life-like. It's effortless nature is addictive. Bass is solid, more than solid, deliberate with a grip that wouldn't be out of place in a vice.*

The top end is silky smooth, like that of the best valve amps I've heard. Cymbals can be delicate to levels I haven't experienced here before.

Vocals have surprised me too, the tone is fantastic. Natural realism. Very transparent will very little colouration that I can tell or care to even listen for.*

The resolution is excellent too. The best amp I'd heard do detail and resolution was the Luxman-Luxkit Avance but the Krell not only matches it but surpasses it with depth of soundstage. The image is massive with the singer appearing to be 5ft high and dead centre. The soundstage has pinpoint precision but doesn't deconstruct the music. It's very musical.

There are very very few downsides to this amp for me. It does throw some heat out but I've had 4-5hour listening sessions and never melted so it can't be that bad. The sheer size too, it won't go in a rack and it's too big and heavy to hide.*

From an enjoyment and musical point of view, this amp is an absolute joy to listen to and I love it.*

This amp will be with me for some considerable time.*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast