+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

I'm Neil.

The Krell KSA-100 MK1 does not use sustained plateau bias, it’s a pure class A monster that’ll draw several hundred watts from the wall all day.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Almost all of that advice was terrible.

1) if it goes wrong it won't cost any more to fix than any other amp
    2) It's designed to run hot
    2) it won't run hot into very efficient speakers in any case
    4) It doesn't matter how sensitive the speakers are, it won't be a 'mismatch'
    Nonsense.
    Account Deleted

I'm Tony.

I have a few of these door stops in the lab, in their day they were different, never saw what all the fuss was over unless you had Apogee's and need to power a dead short lol

Unless you know the history of the unit then I would leave alone, also remember these things would use around around .5kw of power at idle.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Refuting Macca's post with eloquence. Not.
    Great input - as ever.
    Account Deleted

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    The Krell KSA-100 MK1 does not use sustained plateau bias, it’s a pure class A monster that’ll draw several hundred watts from the wall all day.
    If you have a pure class A amp, it's best not to leave it on all day.

I'm Grant.

just remember our ethos folks
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Glad I didn't ask on here before I got mine. I fancied it so I just bought it.

Seems to be some quite bizarre prejudices against Krell/ American muscle amps. Legacy of the UK flat earth brainwashing maybe? An amplifier should be able to deliver watts and current, if it can't it isn't actually very good. Of course it is expensive to make an amp like that, it eats into the profits, so instead let's tell everyone that there is something magical about low powered amps with saggy power supplies.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

a good analogy would be using a stretch limmo for the school run great amps but better used with speakers that need it. again imo.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a good analogy would be using a stretch limmo for the school run great amps but better used with speakers that need it. again imo.
    Jeez don't give the Yummy Mummies round here ideas. It's bad enough with wall to wall XC90s, X5s and the like.

Bigman80 Guest

I'll be honest,

The reaction to the Krell question has surprised me somewhat.

Whether one Needs all that power really doesn't matter because most of us really dont. The only question I suppose is, does it sound as good when you aren't using it to its full potential. Being Class A, I don't see what reason there could be for it not to.

I can see why a low powered amp may not be ideal with inefficient speakers but for what reason would a high powered amp struggle to sound good through efficient speakers?

Apart from the quite frankly child-like remarks at times, the only comment of real value has been the effect heat can have on the life span of components.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast