+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Krell KSA-100 MK2

Bigman80 Guest

Default Krell KSA-100 MK2

Hi all,

I am considering picking up the Krell KSA100 but as it's quite an investment I wondered if any of you had any opinions on it?

Specifically the model mentioned. Thanks.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Makes quite a nice (not so) portable heater. It's a classic amp one of the all time classics. They can be very expensive if they go wrong.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Makes quite a nice (not so) portable heater. It's a classic amp one of the all time classics. They can be very expensive if they go wrong.
    Yes I've seen some stories of problems but I am willing to get stung...... I think.

Ever heard one?

I'm Deleted.

I would say a couple of things - 1/ as suggested they are expensive to repair. The electrolytic caps age quite quickly as they get very hot and definitely do need to be replaced every few years. Despite the immense case they are jammed full of components, huge transformers and vast (expensive) reservoir capacitors, 2/ this is a crazy heavy amplifier, 3/ although they genuinely are vastly powerful and capable of driving crazy low impedance speakers with ease - is this what you actually need? My experience is that faster and tighter bass can be had elsewhere and the Krell sound may well not be quite what you expecting.
    Account Deleted

I'm Paul.

They were very popular amps by all accounts and are of solid build quality, as you might expect from early Krell. My only concern is that if you run anything hot, even if it is within spec, it still does damage over time. Being an older amp you can expect it to have suffered some fatigue, even if it has bee used lightly in a domestic setting.

This is not to say don't go for it, just be aware that your chances of needing to get it serviced and repaired are likely to be higher than if you had a newer, cooler running amp.
    ~Paul~

I'm Steve.

As said above. If they go wrong you may well end up spending what you paid for the amp second hand for repairs. They sound ok but that's about it for me. There are a lot better amps out there at a fraction of the cost.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    As said above. If they go wrong you may well end up spending what you paid for the amp second hand for repairs. They sound ok but that's about it for me. There are a lot better amps out there at a fraction of the cost.
    Like?..........

I'm James.

I have heard one way back as it was certainly a big contender in the solid state amps when it came out. Although it is massive and certainly solid state in sound the two things I remember were that it did not sound harsh but had a rather delicate top end and had superb bass control, way better than most valve amps..

I would imagine there are plenty of solid state power amps out there now that equal the Krell for sound quality and better its dynamic ability. I certainly know of a few but they are expensive. The Krell may turn out expensive if things don't go well.

Do you need a power amp this big to drive your speakers?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Paul.

I get the impression that the point of the KSA100 was that you get class A fluidity but with the slam and bass control of a class A/B amp. It's just being American it couldn't possibly be high end unless you could also use it as a spot welder too.
    ~Paul~

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I get the impression that the point of the KSA100 was that you get class A fluidity but with the slam and bass control of a class A/B amp. It's just being American it couldn't possibly be high end unless you could also use it as a spot welder too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast