+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the most one would shelve out on a cartridge

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Out of interest how does a solid object like a tonearm get serviced? What do they actually do?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I'm no expert but play / wear of bearings is one thing addressed.
    Also tonearm wire can be tight or hindering movement of the arm.
    Mine was re-wired and upgraded with hybrid ceramic bearings. During that work it was discovered that the arm was bent so there you go.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Grant.

£200 and that was once. Far too much
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Back when I was into vinyl the most I would fork out for one would be £350-400 either brand new or secondhand.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    £200 and that was once. Far too much
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles
    Out of interest how does a solid object like a tonearm get serviced? What do they actually do?
    Dismantle it, re-lubricate the bearings and re-assemble, checking for and reducing bearing play. There is no need to pay a fortune that the manufacturer will charge (especially SME, who now no longer service the older Series 3000 arms). There are other enthusiast outfits such as Audio Origami and Phonomac who can, and will, do just as good a job.

Though in the case of the SME V, since the service cost is about 20% of the cost of the arm, in this case I would get them to service the V, but not other SME designs.
    Barry

I'm Nari.

I have a Mysonic Platinum and £8500 on loan does sound good but trying my best to resist
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Dismantle it, re-lubricate the bearings and re-assemble, checking for and reducing bearing play. There is no need to pay a fortune that the manufacturer will charge (especially SME, who now no longer service the older Series 3000 arms). There are other enthusiast outfits such as Audio Origami and Phonomac who can, and will, do just as good a job.

Though in the case of the SME V, since the service cost is about 20% of the cost of the arm, in this case I would get them to service the V, but not other SME designs.
    The only good thing with sme they will generally sort out cosmetic issues at no extra charge a friend had his 309 serviced with some lettering issues, Sme replaced the arm tube as part of the service and replaced the bearings, came back as new you pay the price but handy they have the parts available at there disposal. A bit like rolex with there watch services. A couple of years back my dealer who works closely with sme arranged for them to rebuild my 3012 arms they came back sounding great not sure that would be possible to do with the current owners.

Sme are great to deal with I have been on a couple of factory tours arranged by my dealer last one was when I took delivery of my 30/12 turntable in 2014 it was great seeing the Arms being built all very impressive. I hope it all continues under the new Management.

Jhonnie does do an excellent job and offer real value for money never used Phonomac.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 26-08-2018 at 18:15.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Geoff.

The more exotic and expensive cartridges can be a good buy second hand, as the type of people who buy them often tend to always be looking for something even more exclusive, so don't keep them too long. Hence, they absorb the depreciation and you get a bargain (comparatively).

By the way, my most expensive cartridge cost me approaching a grand and I have two of them.

I'm Robert.

Yep, Do your homework, communicate with the seller and ask those important questions ie: hours, why selling etc.
    You'll have a real sense of whether to pounce or walkaway
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Mike.

The way i look at it is that once you go past an acceptable performance the cost or improvement literally spirals out of control so the more you spend the smaller the increase in the sound improvement is, that's the case with all hifi as well as many other things, i think what Geoff said about the exclusivity of something definitely comes in to play the more expensive and exotic the product is, for me i think about £600 would be the most i'd spend.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast