+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the most one would shelve out on a cartridge

I'm Nari.

Default Whats the most one would shelve out on a cartridge

I reluctantly spend serious money on cartridges every time I do cringe at the thought of spending huge sums of money on something so delicate that could easily break and wears out, what the most one has spent? has the the investment been worth it? , would one continue to do so and what is ones favourite choice.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Alan.

Has to be in the second hand market for me. £475 is the max I have spend at one time.

I'm Gary.

Shelled out about £1300 for my Dynavector when I was building up my Vinyl rig, wouldn't go anywhere near that figure again.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The most I have spent on a cartridge has been ~ £1,000. All of my thirty odd cartidges were bought used (but with low mileage), and with only a couple of exceptions they are now out of production. The typical purchase price has been £200 - £400, but some only cost me £50. The cheapest cartridge only cost me £5 from eBay!
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I reluctantly spend serious money on cartridges every time I do cringe at the thought of spending huge sums of money on something so delicate that could easily break and wears out, what the most one has spent? has the the investment been worth it? , would one continue to do so and what is ones favourite choice.
    I think your post touches on the 'problem' with high end carts - Lots of dough for something that doesnt last and has to be handled very carefully otherwise a bundle of hard earned money goes down the toilet.

Another thing that dictates what the overall experience of your cart will be is the tonearm and (maybe to a lesser extent) the headshell that you match it with.

Tonearm condition is also often overlooked, particularly bearings. I think not enough consideration is given to tonearm maintenance.
    You'd be surprised what issues are found on having your old tonearm looked over - I speak from experience.

All the above said/considered and to answer your question. The Ortofon A95 would be upwards of a cool £3.7k min new and I wouldnt dismiss selling a few bits and saving for one, one day
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There are many cartridges more expensive than that: the stone-bodied Koetsus; the Ortofon A100 (€10,000), and the Etsuro Urushi to name a few. I think the most I would pay for a new cartridge would be £1,500 for one of the Ana-rebuilt EMTs.

Cartridges are expensive because they are built by hand and employ line-contact profile stylii, fitted to cantilevers made of exotic materials.

Are they worth it? Well that depends on your ears and the depth of your pocket; remembering the cost of replacing the stylus will be about 2/3 of the initial cost, and something that needs to be done every 1,000 hours or so.
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    There are many cartridges more expensive than that: the stone-bodied Koetsus; the Ortofon A100 (€10,000), and the Etsuro Urushi to name a few. I think the most I would pay for a new cartridge would be £1,500 for one of the Ana-rebuilt EMTs.

Cartridges are expensive because they are built by hand and employ line-contact profile stylii, fitted to cantilevers made of exotic materials.

Are they worth it? Well that depends on your ears and the depth of your pocket; remembering the cost of replacing the stylus will be about 2/3 of the initial cost, and something that needs to be done every 1,000 hours or so.
    Indeed! and why some think high end carts is a mugs game.

We must remember that hifi and systems is a luxury. Thats definitely the case when it comes to high end carts that are not cheap and last only so long, a bit like a good holiday, only longer lasting.
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post

Tonearm condition is also often overlooked, particularly bearings. I think not enough consideration is given to tonearm maintenance.
    You'd be surprised what issues are found on having your old tonearm looked over - I speak from experience.

All the above said/considered and to answer your question. The Ortofon A95 would be upwards of a cool £3.7k min new and I wouldnt dismiss selling a few bits and saving for one, one day
    Such a Valid point Robbie I own many tonearms and generally after 3 years of use, I send them away for service of course this depends on how much use etc. In some cases a service can be very costly eg an Sme service now starts at £650 every time they come back I get blown away how much better they sound. I prefer if I can to use the original Manufacturer if at all possible obviously servicing my Fidelity Research FR66 would be a different story.

I remember buying two identical Sme arms and trying with the same cartridge etc there was no doubt how different they sounded what to speak of a used arm purchase where the previous owner could have mistreated the arm and never had a service.

The whole hifi thing is a costly hobby and quite a sacrifice for the most of us I drive a 20 year old car hardly go on holiday (if I do its mainly hifi related shows or to meet fellow audiophiles I know). All the sacrifice enables me feed my passion or maybe addiction. I could never tell anyone one of my cartridges cost 10 times the price of my car. Its all about priorities and attitude I love the hobby and when I sit down after a hard day to listen nothing touches my soul in the same way.

I remember purchasing my first Stone Bodied koetsu I was petrified at thought of breaking it or running it down to the ground as it would cost me 3k plus for a manufacturer rebuild ouch, It took me 3 months to get the courage to play it these days I think what the heck they are there to be enjoyed.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Robert.

Absolutely and why we do it.

There is indeed nothing like it. When it all comes together money pales into insignificance, the feeling is that good.
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm John.

Out of interest how does a solid object like a tonearm get serviced? What do they actually do?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast