+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilty pleasures...

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sugababes 'Push The Button' is basically the same tune as Wham's 'Last Christmas'.

I don't know why no-one else seems to get that.

Anyway both are top tunes, ideally you need the video with the Sugababes.
    When it comes to songs that sound like other songs, surely no one is more guilty than Oasis:

"Supersonic": The opening of each verse sounds just like "I'd like to Teach the World to Sing" by The New Seekers.

"Cigarettes and Alcohol": Riff nicked from "Get It On" by T.Rex.

Even the track "Whatever" sounds to me like it was inspired by (copied from) "The Idiot Song" from Monty Python Live at Drury Lane, a song I always thought might be a send-up of John Lennon. And Mr Gallagher thought no one would notice.

I am guilty of getting no pleasure from Oasis songs.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    When it comes to songs that sound like other songs, surely no one is more guilty than Oasis:

"Supersonic": The opening of each verse sounds just like "I'd like to Teach the World to Sing" by The New Seekers.

"Cigarettes and Alcohol": Riff nicked from "Get It On" by T.Rex.

Even the track "Whatever" sounds to me like it was inspired by (copied from) "The Idiot Song" from Monty Python Live at Drury Lane, a song I always thought might be a send-up of John Lennon. And Mr Gallagher thought no one would notice.

I am guilty of getting no pleasure from Oasis songs.
    True but I'm sure Bolan nicked the riff from someone else to begin with so what does it matter? And Supersonic makes no secret of it's influence. He nicks the tune and lyrics from crap children's show 'You And Me' anorl, you missed that one
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

I'm sure you're correct on all counts. I was quite a fan of T. Rex in their early days, but I'm sure the real talent there was their producer Tony Visconti.

Not so much a fan of Oasis though, I have none of their music and know even less about them. I'll stop talking now as I hear Oasis fans are fiercely loyal and hard as nails.

Still think Liam is a dick though.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

I like the first two albums after that they went a bit crap. They were the last proper rock stars though, I think they should get some credit for that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

If I'm honest with myself I know that my dislike of Oasis was not because I thought they were crap - indeed, I quite liked some of their earlier stuff, and enjoyed seeing them once (before they were famous).

But I used to have to work with this guy, a right arrogant shithead who never had a good word for anyone. It got so I couldn't stand to look at him, let alone speak to him (except to wind him up by calling his musical heroes the world's biggest Beatles tribute band). And it sort of stuck with me.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have the first two Oasis CDs - they just remind me of a time and place that was good for me, so happy memories!
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Saw Oasis in King Tut’s Wha Wha Hut in Glasgow the night they were discovered by Alan McGhee.
    True fact, the PA sound quality wasn’t the best, but the experience of it is something that can’t be recreated by even the best vinyl rig.

This audio game’s completely subjective y’know.
    (Oasis sounds best btw played over a 300B SET amp...another true fact. )
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

I see your Oasis and raise you Kasabian...ish.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Kasabian do nothing for me, neither do Franz Ferdinand.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Both work for me.. subjective!
    Wouldn’t have it otherwise
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast