+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilty pleasures...

I'm Steve.

Default Guilty pleasures...

Don't know about anybody else, but in my early record buying years there were often these words from my mum which I dreaded: "While you're in the record shop can you pick me up..."

At the time appearing cool was everything, and to stand in the middle of a Saturday-busy shop staffed by what seemed to me a bunch of real music-snobs and ask for the latest Bee Gees single or "Stop the Cavalry" by Joe Dolchie (?) was too embarrassing for words. I would always try to include the words "It's for me mum!" as if that would make me cool again.

Anyway, now that I'm all grown up appearing cool doesn't matter one bit, and going on some wardrobe choices this year at Cranage, I'm not alone in this.

So what songs do you like, not necessarily purchases, maybe something that when it comes on the radio you turn it up a bit, and maybe have a bit of a sing along.

Here's a few of mine:

Sugababes: Freak Like Me
    Take That: Never Forget
    S Club 7: S Club Beat
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Gary.

The hookiest hook of any song to ooze out the 80's, and also had a thing for her...which helped.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    and also had a thing for her
    Did she come and collect it?

I'm Mike.

Glen Campbell Wichita Lineman, my mum and dad had it on an LP, in my teens i would always moan about their music taste, it's strange to think when "cool" is taken out of the equation and with a few years of experience how many uncool artists and tracks have stood the test of time and how many artists that were the epitome of cool in the day are cringed at now.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

Dad played only classical music. As a kid, I didn't really play anything on 'the gramophone'. Mum played classical on the piano now and then (as did I in my earlier teens, I was the best pianist in the house).

I migrated to listening to Kinks, Stones and Animals etc. at about sixteen and never looked back. Wasn't exactly overimpressed by any band until I first heard Crosby, Stills and Nash, King Crimson, Jefferson Airplane and the Beatles (after they discovered acid and stopped making just 'pop' songs).

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Glen Campbell Wichita Lineman, my mum and dad had it on an LP, in my teens i would always moan about their music taste, it's strange to think when "cool" is taken out of the equation and with a few years of experience how many uncool artists and tracks have stood the test of time and how many artists that were the epitome of cool in the day are cringed at now.
    Wichita Lineman is a great song! I sang it at karaoke once and my mate said it was the most depressing song he had ever heard
    ~Paul~

I'm Alan.

Always a volume up moment.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

Always a volume up moment.
    Great track
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Wichita Lineman is cool, as are several other Glen Campbell songs.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Great track
    'Fever' by Peggy Lee

+1
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast