+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilty pleasures...

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    When it comes to songs that sound like other songs, surely no one is more guilty than Oasis:

"Supersonic": The opening of each verse sounds just like "I'd like to Teach the World to Sing" by The New Seekers.

Surely you mean Shakermaker? The New Seekers took legal action and they had to rewrite the last verse. See here:

http://altrincham.today/2018/08/20/n...de-altrincham/

Incidentally Sifters Records is still there.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm joe.

Don't know about anybody else, but in my early record buying years there were often these words from my mum which I dreaded: "While you're in the record shop can you pick me up..."
    I was asked (ie ordered) by one sister to buy for another sister 'Heard It Through the Grapevine', as she was too embarrassed to ask for it. Not because it was a bad song but because it was going down in the charts. Most of the songs mentioned are great songs, and thus not guilty pleasures, IMO. Well, apart from 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep' which should have been banned.

Also in the '60s, one uncle, who seemed ancient to me at the time (he was probably about 40) asked if I could buy him 'San Franciso' for his birthday. 'You mean the Tony Bennett song?' I asked. He was very offended, as he'd meant the Scott McKenzie song.

No guilty pleasures here music-wise, though I do own two LPs with Jimmy Saville's picture on the cover.

I'm Steve.

Middle of the Road were crap and catchy at the same time and could really mess up your cred with the girls if you weren't vigilant.

They got me once: My first singles I bought, which would be the early part of 1972 were Telegram Sam, California Man, Tumbling Dice, and SACRAMENTO. Fortunately my first girlfriend wasn't for another six months, by which time I had some more T. Rex, Mott, Alice Cooper and Roxy Music. A good year.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Surely you mean Shakermaker? The New Seekers took legal action and they had to rewrite the last verse. See here:

http://altrincham.today/2018/08/20/n...de-altrincham/

Incidentally Sifters Records is still there.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    John, you're absolutely right, that's what I meant. What's the matter with me, this kind of thing keeps happening!

Didn't know about the New Seekers thing, I've just read about it. Similarly, my theory about "Whatever" and "The Idiot Song" turns out to be a thing: The writer Neil Innes successfully sued Oasis and got royalties and co-writing credits. The article went on to say that as Innes' song parodied Lennon and The Beatles, as did much of his output, he had to share the royalties with Lennon and McCartney.

It seems there's nothing new in this world, and never has been. The copied turn out to be copiers themselves.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm joe.

Middle of the Road were crap and catchy at the same time and could really mess up your cred with the girls if you weren't vigilant.
    Chicory Tip, they were another bunch of crap. Did anyone ever work out what words they sang after 'Son of my father ...'? It sounded like 'bowling I was rolling I was big band guy'. Like in 'Blinded by the Light', where the words go all weird; 'bound up like a douche another oner in the night'. Or words to that effect.

I'm Dan.

S Club 7

I'll get my coat....

Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Chicory Tip, they were another bunch of crap. Did anyone ever work out what words they sang after 'Son of my father ...'? It sounded like 'bowling I was rolling I was big band guy'. Like in 'Blinded by the Light', where the words go all weird; 'bound up like a douche another oner in the night'. Or words to that effect.

I've got Son of my Father, I shall have to dig it out. I also bought the next single, What's Your Name? I didn't realise that Son of my Father was written by Giorgio Moroder till I recently watched a programme about glamrock that I recorded ages ago, you don't look at the writing credits when your are a young teenager do you?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    it was;

Son of my father
    Molded, I was folded, I was preform-packed
    Son of my father
    Commanded, I was branded in a plastic vac'
    Surrounded and confounded by statistic facts
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    S Club 7

I'll get my coat....

Lest we forget:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

They were a good-looking bunch, even the ones that looked like blokes...

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast