+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Streaming is All New to Me, I'm Requiring Guidance.

I'm John.

Default Streaming is All New to Me, I'm Requiring Guidance.

I know streaming as a means of delivering digital data to a device.
    I know there are partnering devices and software to make the set up function.
    I have witnessed a Concept Multi Media Player at work many months ago for a replay of a few tracks.
    I have never had a hands on experience, with a streaming device or had any communication about the basics in integrating a Streamer and DAC into a HiFi System.
    The Valve Based DAC is now in the UK, awaiting my picking it up.
    So now I am intrigued by how to use it, initially it will be put with the computer, but I still have to get familiar with any accessories if this to be used to make this set up work ?

If this is deemed a insufficient method of getting a good Sound Quality and a Dedicated Streaming Device is going to be the suggested method the get the best SQ, then I am already requiring assistance in steering through the maze.
    I am not adverse to any model, DIY Produced (already built ) or Branded Model
    If I were to lay out my wishes for a streamer, it would be a stand alone streamer (no inbuilt DAC), it would ideally be able to produce a display on a monitor, possibly rip a CD,
    and have the ability to replay the FLAC files I have stored on my Laptop.
    If a streamer is believed to have a effect on the SQ, then a device with a reported good SQ will be preferable.
    I know there are devices or software referred to create a functioning streaming set up, but again I am not familiar with their usage.
    As a further wish, a hands on experience would be great, to help get on my way.

I'm Mandeep.

Do you intend to back up your flac on the laptop?
    I like the innous zen. It can rip cd, stores flac and be used as a player via usb into your dac if that has usb input.
    Control is via various apps on tablet or phone, or their own app on the latest zen boxes.
    It has no screen.
    I went from cd to streaming 3 yrs ago with no previous knowledge. Bought a zen to rip and store, sim audio moon mind 180 to access flac on the zen and stream on line. Connected to router with Ethernet cables via a switch.
    Lots of devices to do the job these days, some with screens, some cheap, some mega bucks.

I'm Grant.

Connect a usb cable to pc and dac. download a trial of something like tidal hifi or one of the other s.. see what you think of it.
    Im using Audirvana at moment on a trial with both my flac and tidal's which works within it nicely. if your happy then your set unless you want a tailor made streamer unit. only thing about many is they can potentially become redundant if things change, and they are not cheap
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

I have seen a similar device to a Innuous Zen, a DIY build based on Roon.
    It had my attention , hence my advice sought here, as I am not fluent in the devices being used.

I'm Matt.

For the last few years I have been using a MacMini, with usb HD containing my ripped cd library, plus another one as a back up, going into a Jolida DAC & then into my amp.
    I use Audirvana software & Tidal for streaming & an iPad to select music with the Audirvana app.
    I’m certainly not a computer whizz, so for me any system & software I use has to be easy, stable & reliable, as well as sounding very good.
    Whilst there are alternatives such as Bluesound, Aurelic etc etc, I’m more than happy that my set up ticks all the boxes for me & so therefore I can heartily recommend it as a great way to get into streaming music.

I'm John.

Thank you for the supplied information, not wanting to jump into this method of replaying music with little experience and purchasing supporting devices I am not familiar with. This is a method of replay I shall aspire to as my experience and understanding grows.
    The DAC arrived in my home on Friday Night, it is extremely impressive and has had a very positive effect on my leanings toward CD as I am of a Vinyl background.
    I would like to think, any moves I make in my digital advancement, is based on getting the best out of this DAC,
    with the convenience of Digital Media being the secondary reward.
    I am going to begin with the Laptop as base to begin streaming and as a addition to this create a Stand alone storage set up for CD Rips and FLAC File Downloads.
    I have enquired about this set up on the Ripping Thread. Any further support will be happily received.

Thinking of doing the same , however living in the sticks my download speed is about 6 Meg max, I've looked on the sites of some of the streaming services but can't find any minimum download speed information. Any advice on the impact such low broadband speeds would have on normal or higher resolution streaming ?

Thanks

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    Thinking of doing the same , however living in the sticks my download speed is about 6 Meg max, I've looked on the sites of some of the streaming services but can't find any minimum download speed information. Any advice on the impact such low broadband speeds would have on normal or higher resolution streaming ?

Thanks
    There's a similar thread on PFM and the OP in that thread has more or less the same issues the solution was to either change to Virgin (if possible) or buy a better router such as a Draytek Vigor 2862 AC which allows you to throttle bandwidth for multiple users, think from memory Netflix min download requirements are 5MB for example, so the advice was to limit Netflix user streams to say 3MB or similar.

I'll try to find the thread and post here.

Tony

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...adband.218789/

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    There's a similar thread on PFM and the OP in that thread has more or less the same issues the solution was to either change to Virgin (if possible) or buy a better router such as a Draytek Vigor 2862 AC which allows you to throttle bandwidth for multiple users, think from memory Netflix min download requirements are 5MB for example, so the advice was to limit Netflix user streams to say 3MB or similar.

I'll try to find the thread and post here.

Tony

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...adband.218789/
    Thanks I'll have a read

I'm Anandh.

Thousands of television channels and internet channels including Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Sling TV and the like can be uploaded to Roku streaming device box. These channels provide extra time to the Roku users to view the programs from the initial streaming time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast