+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Streaming is All New to Me, I'm Requiring Guidance.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    Thinking of doing the same , however living in the sticks my download speed is about 6 Meg max, I've looked on the sites of some of the streaming services but can't find any minimum download speed information. Any advice on the impact such low broadband speeds would have on normal or higher resolution streaming ?

Thanks
    Most streaming services have a premium membership that allows you to download files to your device for later playback. Although 6mb should be sufficient even for HD music, this way you avoid any buffering problems. You can download a batch of music (say overnight) and listen offline, even on a phone or tablet.

Geoff

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Thank you for the supplied information, not wanting to jump into this method of replaying music with little experience and purchasing supporting devices I am not familiar with. This is a method of replay I shall aspire to as my experience and understanding grows.
    The DAC arrived in my home on Friday Night, it is extremely impressive and has had a very positive effect on my leanings toward CD as I am of a Vinyl background.
    I would like to think, any moves I make in my digital advancement, is based on getting the best out of this DAC,
    with the convenience of Digital Media being the secondary reward.
    I am going to begin with the Laptop as base to begin streaming and as a addition to this create a Stand alone storage set up for CD Rips and FLAC File Downloads.
    I have enquired about this set up on the Ripping Thread. Any further support will be happily received.
    Hello John

I have been in the digital world for quite a few years now, having got sucked into CD's early on and then into mp3 and AAC which I quickly discovered was a step into compressed music and questionable replay quality. I should have known better as I work in the IT industry. One thing to remember here is that music that was digitised and put on CD or a digital file back in the 80's and even the 90's is not necessarily going to be of great quality due to the limitations of the technology at the time, and even new music may not be great. This also is influenced by the care taken when doing so and the equipment used.

Anyway I ripped my CD's to AIF or WAV format and put the whole lot onto a NAS Drive in an iTunes library, Buffalo do some good and cost effective ones. iTunes I find is a reasonably good tool for organising your music and ripping CD's although if want FLAC or equivalent M4P then you would need to rip using some other software and then import M4P files into the iTunes library. I would go for at least a 2 terrabyte one and also purchase a 2TB drive to plug into the back of it to back it all up. For FLAC and other formats that iTunes does not handle I put undo into a folder of that name on the same server organised by sub-directories by Artist and within that by album. https://www.ebuyer.com/620414-buffal...xoCBGEQAvD_BwE By doing this all my digital music is sited on a drive that several devices can access, MAC, iPhone, iPad etc basically anything that is able to connect to an iTunes library, and there is lots of software and hardware that can. Once you have this setup up you can copy from your computer(note COPY not move, so if it all goes wrong you still have it) your existing iTunes library from your computer to the NAS drive. Once it is there you can got to preferences in iTunes, select advanced and then select the iTunes library on your NAS drive (note the drive has to be on your network and you have to be mapped to it from you computer first). You also need to ensure that "Copy files to iTunes media folder is selected when adding to library" is on so that any future music is automatically put in the library on the server.

You obviously don't need to have a NAS drive but you will be limited by the size of the computers hard drive and may end up having to plug an external one into to it in any case, especially if you are going to have CD and above quality data files. Remember each CD will take around 450-650mb of storage as pure CD quality, the same in Flac will be around 1.2-3.0GB of storage so you can quickly gobble up 1 Terrabyte of storage if you have lots of music.

As others have pointed out there is a variety of software/hardware out there to access your music which is better than iTunes on playback and is in fact necessary if in formats that iTunes cannot handle. I like others are trying out Audirvana and so far I am quite impressed with it in terms of replay quality, plus it also supports streaming from various high quality sites. Personally I would tend to purchase and download what I like and store on the NAS drive, but that personal choice, however it does mean that if you cannot get a high mbps(internet speed) to support high quality music streaming you can download and then play later.

So it sounds you have the DAC sorted, and I presume this will have USB capability, so you can connect it to the USB on your computer, and so once you have the above set up in the manner you opt for you need to choose the software you want to use and install it on your computer, map it to the NAS drive or wherever you have the music library and to any folders where you have FLAC etc stored and off you go.

You raised the question of using a Streamer, well its a tricky one to answer and it really depends on how deep your pocket is, for my money if you do not want to use a computer then I would opt for an INNOUS ZEN, from what I can determine for sound quality the ZEN MK.II STD is the one to go for, the ZENMINI is £700 cheaper and has its limitations in processing capability, also to get the best out of it you either need to power is with a battery or an expensive £200-300 power supply. There are many other streamers out there and I am sure others on here can give advice on this. The thing is whilst a streamer is a neat and clean solution the question is how long before it becomes redundant or it fails. Most come with Solid State Drives(SSD) that's basically computer chips used to store data, no matter what anyone tells you they fail and they have a life and will fail. So another key question if the SSD fails can it be easily replaced/repaired, most manufacturers charge quite a lot above the actual SSD cost, and some won't even repair. Innous recommend have a USB drive plugged into a ZEN so it is backed up, as most others do. so the points I make here not only apply to a Innous ZEN but any other make of streaming device. If you look at other streamers then you need to consider what level of quality it can handle in terms of types of data formats and very importantly how high in Hz it can go.

KEY POINT no matter where your music is stored, Streamer with storage, NAS drive, external drive plugged into a computer or on the computers physical hard drive BACK IT UP regularly, at least once a week. Hard Drives fail whether spinning disk ones or SSD's. You should be backing up your computer at least once a week to an external hard drive mo matter what.

I have considered the ZEN at length but have concluded that using my MAC with a good Beresford SEG DAC and putting my digital music on a NAS drive is the most cost effective and leaves for future flexibility and change.

I am sure there are a host of other solutions out there but perhaps this might address some of the key issues, at least as far as I see and understand them.

Good luck

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hello John

I have been in the digital world for quite a few years now, having got sucked into CD's early on and then into mp3 and AAC which I quickly discovered was a step into compressed music and questionable replay quality. I should have known better as I work in the IT industry. One thing to remember here is that music that was digitised and put on CD or a digital file back in the 80's and even the 90's is not necessarily going to be of great quality due to the limitations of the technology at the time, and even new music may not be great. This also is influenced by the care taken when doing so and the equipment used.

Anyway I ripped my CD's to AIF or WAV format and put the whole lot onto a NAS Drive in an iTunes library, Buffalo do some good and cost effective ones. iTunes I find is a reasonably good tool for organising your music and ripping CD's although if want FLAC or equivalent M4P then you would need to rip using some other software and then import M4P files into the iTunes library. I would go for at least a 2 terrabyte one and also purchase a 2TB drive to plug into the back of it to back it all up. For FLAC and other formats that iTunes does not handle I put undo into a folder of that name on the same server organised by sub-directories by Artist and within that by album. https://www.ebuyer.com/620414-buffal...xoCBGEQAvD_BwE By doing this all my digital music is sited on a drive that several devices can access, MAC, iPhone, iPad etc basically anything that is able to connect to an iTunes library, and there is lots of software and hardware that can. Once you have this setup up you can copy from your computer(note COPY not move, so if it all goes wrong you still have it) your existing iTunes library from your computer to the NAS drive. Once it is there you can got to preferences in iTunes, select advanced and then select the iTunes library on your NAS drive (note the drive has to be on your network and you have to be mapped to it from you computer first). You also need to ensure that "Copy files to iTunes media folder is selected when adding to library" is on so that any future music is automatically put in the library on the server.

You obviously don't need to have a NAS drive but you will be limited by the size of the computers hard drive and may end up having to plug an external one into to it in any case, especially if you are going to have CD and above quality data files. Remember each CD will take around 450-650mb of storage as pure CD quality, the same in Flac will be around 1.2-3.0GB of storage so you can quickly gobble up 1 Terrabyte of storage if you have lots of music.

As others have pointed out there is a variety of software/hardware out there to access your music which is better than iTunes on playback and is in fact necessary if in formats that iTunes cannot handle. I like others are trying out Audirvana and so far I am quite impressed with it in terms of replay quality, plus it also supports streaming from various high quality sites. Personally I would tend to purchase and download what I like and store on the NAS drive, but that personal choice, however it does mean that if you cannot get a high mbps(internet speed) to support high quality music streaming you can download and then play later.

So it sounds you have the DAC sorted, and I presume this will have USB capability, so you can connect it to the USB on your computer, and so once you have the above set up in the manner you opt for you need to choose the software you want to use and install it on your computer, map it to the NAS drive or wherever you have the music library and to any folders where you have FLAC etc stored and off you go.

You raised the question of using a Streamer, well its a tricky one to answer and it really depends on how deep your pocket is, for my money if you do not want to use a computer then I would opt for an INNOUS ZEN, from what I can determine for sound quality the ZEN MK.II STD is the one to go for, the ZENMINI is £700 cheaper and has its limitations in processing capability, also to get the best out of it you either need to power is with a battery or an expensive £200-300 power supply. There are many other streamers out there and I am sure others on here can give advice on this. The thing is whilst a streamer is a neat and clean solution the question is how long before it becomes redundant or it fails. Most come with Solid State Drives(SSD) that's basically computer chips used to store data, no matter what anyone tells you they fail and they have a life and will fail. So another key question if the SSD fails can it be easily replaced/repaired, most manufacturers charge quite a lot above the actual SSD cost, and some won't even repair. Innous recommend have a USB drive plugged into a ZEN so it is backed up, as most others do. so the points I make here not only apply to a Innous ZEN but any other make of streaming device. If you look at other streamers then you need to consider what level of quality it can handle in terms of types of data formats and very importantly how high in Hz it can go.

KEY POINT no matter where your music is stored, Streamer with storage, NAS drive, external drive plugged into a computer or on the computers physical hard drive BACK IT UP regularly, at least once a week. Hard Drives fail whether spinning disk ones or SSD's. You should be backing up your computer at least once a week to an external hard drive mo matter what.

I have considered the ZEN at length but have concluded that using my MAC with a good Beresford SEG DAC and putting my digital music on a NAS drive is the most cost effective and leaves for future flexibility and change.

I am sure there are a host of other solutions out there but perhaps this might address some of the key issues, at least as far as I see and understand them.

Good luck

Adrian
    FLAC is a lossless compression format so takes up less space than CD or wav format. Typically around a half the space though this depends on the music and the compression rate used.

Geoff

I'm Grant.

my flac files vary between 250 and 450mb on average, judging by the ones ive looked at. A pc with external hdd and some software to run it all, and say a streaming service like tidal, then out to a decent dac is plenty good for most folk as doesnt cost too much. every stage onward adds a bit to it, and may or may not improve things. ease of use and back ups are also a consideration
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my flac files vary between 250 and 450mb on average, judging by the ones ive looked at. A pc with external hdd and some software to run it all, and say a streaming service like tidal, then out to a decent dac is plenty good for most folk as doesnt cost too much. every stage onward adds a bit to it, and may or may not improve things. ease of use and back ups are also a consideration
    I would say that you can get about 3 (ordinary) albums in FLAC format per 1gb of storage. That's about 3,000 albums per 1tb of storage. Or it would be, if I didn't have so many duplicates.

Luckily storage is so cheap these days. A 4tb WD Passport external usb drive is just over a hundred quid these days. No excuse for not having multiple library backups!

Geoff

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    FLAC is a lossless compression format so takes up less space than CD or wav format. Typically around a half the space though this depends on the music and the compression rate used.

Geoff
    Yes FLAC files can be smaller than a CD in physical size, due to its method of compression. I remember a long argument with Bowers and Wilkins and their Sound Society site from quite a few members when B&W stopped supplying the original FLAC files over this very topic. B&W in the end relented and still make high quality FLAC available to download that has higher sampling rates.

Most of my FLAC albums are over 1.2Gb, at least double the data of a CD, which is where I was coming from. Strictly speaking CD's are not a lossless format either, as any Analogue to Digital conversion will result in loss of some information, how much is dependant on the sampling rate, the more samples taken the more data and the more accurate it becomes. But this is a whole can of worms debate that has been around for a long time. I however would say that high quality FLAC that is at a high sampling rate like those used in a recording studios is for all intent and purpose lossless, primarily because if replayed on equipment that is able to do resolve it back at the same sampling rates then human ear will not be able to detect the difference from the original analog that was played.

Just for clarity I should add this

"In professional studios, 24-bit PCM, at either 88.2 or 96 KHz is common. Recently, studios have been offering higher rates, too. If the studio does high-end or audiophile recording, you may see DSD files (specifically DSD-Wide).

In a small studio, you should be able to get CD resolution PCM (WAV) files. (16 bits at 44.1 KHz) However, you may want to record in something higher, like the 2x sample rate (88.2) at 24 bits. The 24 bits is handy if you'll be doing a lot of post-processing on the files before producing the CDs or the downloads."
    Last edited by AJSki2fly; 16-10-2018 at 15:22.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Grant.

flac isnt lossy.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    flac isnt lossy.
    Apologies Grant, I have corrected my post I am confusing myself. It is and interesting topic though.

Audio Al is offline Pishanto Specialist & Super-Daftee

I'm Allen.

I tried and gave up , nightmare
    [

I'm Neil.

Default Streaming is All New to Me, I'm Requiring Guidance.

I used to think FLAC and WAV files sounded different, until I did a real and properly controlled test using Foobar2000’s ABX plugin, and my STAX headphones. There was no difference, try as I might.

However, I did hear a difference between LAME ‘Extreme’ encoded 320kbps and FLAC. It must be said, you’d need a very high resolution system to spot it blind.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast