+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice wanted for quad 33/405 interconnects

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
    Attachment 24047

Connections looking from the back of the plug: screen to pin 2 / R channel pin 5 / L channel pin 3
    I can't see any problems there.

Using the Tape input on the "H" setting should be OK (1V sensitivity to give 0.5V output, with 10V maximum headroom). You have also wired the mains cable for the 33 correctly, and I'm assuming you use a two-wire mains lead from the 33 to your 405.

I'm at a loss to understand why when you connected the screen (from pin 2 of the DIN plug) to the outer of both RCA phonos, you got no signal at all. Unless of course the plugs were not pushed fully home - but then you would have checked that. Neither does it explain why when disconnecting the shield from the L plug there was "feedback". Can you describe what the feedback sounded like? Was it a loud hum?
    Barry

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
    Hi Mike,

A question for you, it looks as though you know your way round the 33. What power amp and speakers do you use? I have had my 33/405 since 1976 (the typical 70’s system Thorens/Quad/Spendor) and really I am only just finding out what it is capable of and I’m exploring ways of making improvements.
    Up until a year ago when I moved to an integrated DAC/amp (Quad Vena), I was using either a Quad 33 or 34 into a 405-2 (before that a 303) - first with a pair of ageing B&W DM10s and then some Q Acoustics 2020i. I had an audiolab Q-DAC connected to the Tape with no problems.

I gave the 33 a thorough overhaul about 5 years ago using a DADA update kit and this changed the game substantially - I would definitely recommend it. I also converted the connectors form DIN to RCA at the same time and removed the power supply to a separate box. I still use the 33 phone stage for vinyl - I have a classic Braun PS500 with it's original Shure 75-6s cartridge

I'm John.

Unfortunately not anymore. I originally used a Chord mojo connected by din to 3.5 jack, no problems.

I'm John.

More than loud , it had me diving for the off switch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12